Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I didn't think they needed to display the disc or pay motor tax

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I didn't think they needed to display the disc or pay motor tax

i think its free and just to keep track of vehicles more or less

lets face it, whos going to stop him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i think its free and just to keep track of vehicles more or less

lets face it, whos going to stop him ?

simples...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWWCGZ6L6_qNmhE-c_uJGEtzHt9P5WJwVsE8XJMwhxMJDiKyrMSw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

rocky wrote: »
    Edit: for pred:

See that button on the SW S-M-D? put it in S ;)

Thanks for that mate, now its a slightly faster whale!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Sorry to hear about Pinky golly. I really hope the two of you see better days soon.

I got a pay rise today so hopefully will be replacing the Passat towards the end of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bump, quick answer needed. I need a tie rod end for the drivers side. Listed as front-right and front-left. I need front right, or have I confused myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

BX 19 wrote: »
    Bump, quick answer needed. I need a tie rod end for the drivers side. Listed as front-right and front-left. I need front right, or have I confused myself?

Presuming the car is RHD, and you need the drivers side then front-right sounds right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Whenever you're talking about car parts, each part is mentioned in relation to when you are sitting in the car, facing forwards.

Whenever you're talking about car parts, each part is mentioned in relation to when you are sitting in the car, facing forwards.

Yep, I was thinking that but then someone said to me "is it not facing the car" and I couldn't trust my own idea then haha

Right one in the end :D

Any tips on removing stubborn hub nuts?

I've doused them with WD-40 for the past 24hrs, bet them with a shocker (dunno what the proper name is, its a device with a end for a hammer and a 1/2 drive at the other end and a big spring in the middle), took a breaker bar to it and sheared my only 1/2" short extension bar in two. Don't want to take heat to it in case I damage good seals.

I may go get a 3/4" breaker somewhere. Any other ideas?

• Advertisement

Impact driver ;)

Impact driver ;)

Aye, that would require a compressor and an impact wrench. I'm a student, can't yet afford one of those :P

Aye, that would require a compressor and an impact wrench. I'm a student, can't yet afford one of those :P

No, the thing that has one end to hit with a hammer and a screwdriver bit at the other end is an impact driver, not a shocker.

Are you talking about removing the bolts that hold the wheels on? If so, pick up a torque wrench if you see it in Aldi or Lidl. They give excellent leverage and then you have the option to torque all the nuts to exact factory spec :D

No, the thing that has one end to hit with a hammer and a screwdriver bit at the other end is an impact driver, not a shocker.

Are you talking about removing the bolts that hold the wheels on? If so, pick up a torque wrench if you see it in Aldi or Lidl. They give excellent leverage and then you have the option to torque all the nuts to exact factory spec :D

Nope the ones that hold the hub, the big size 30mm one in the middle :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nope the ones that hold the hub, the big size 30mm one in the middle :p

They usually have 1-2 spots on the nut that are bent inwards (once it's secure) to prevent the nut from unscrewing... I'm assuming you've bent these outwards before going at it? :D

rear%20stub%20axle%20nut.JPG

Apart from that, get a really long bar and use the law of the lever!

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Borrow a big breaker bar brom a boardsie

They usually have 1-2 spots on the nut that are bent inwards (once it's secure) to prevent the nut from unscrewing... I'm assuming you've bent these outwards before going at it? :D

rear%20stub%20axle%20nut.JPG

Apart from that, get a really long bar and use the law of the lever!

Naa mine have cotter pins, they're out. Got them out with a 30" breaker bar. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

@Bx I have a 3/4 inch drive socket set if that's any use. Where in the country are you?

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    @Bx I have a 3/4 inch drive socket set if that's any use. Where in the country are you?

Your grand, dropped up to a garage whom I known at and they happily lended me a 3/4" breaker. Popped right off with practically no effort :D

Just ordered a Haynes manual for the Bangernomics Clio (Which I now have about 13 months) at a bangernomics price, 6.50. Can't go wrong at that price...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Any tips on removing stubborn hub nuts?

I've doused them with WD-40 for the past 24hrs, bet them with a shocker (dunno what the proper name is, its a device with a end for a hammer and a 1/2 drive at the other end and a big spring in the middle), took a breaker bar to it and sheared my only 1/2" short extension bar in two. Don't want to take heat to it in case I damage good seals.

I may go get a 3/4" breaker somewhere. Any other ideas?

Plusgas

Failing that lots of heat and a breaker bar

Words of a broke student too :pac:

dgt wrote: »
    Plusgas

Failing that lots of heat and a breaker bar

Words of a broke student too :pac:

I've yet to see this plusgas stuff, apparently it's great. Breaker bar got it off in the end. But not before I broke the short extension bar. Thought it was the nut turning, but it was the shearing of the extension bar.

1kTfMPFl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Just ordered a Haynes manual for the Bangernomics Clio (Which I now have about 13 months) at a bangernomics price, 6.50. Can't go wrong at that price...

Where did you get it for that price I thought them Haynes manuals were 20-30 euro or does it depend on the car?

Bpmull wrote: »
    Where did you get it for that price I thought them Haynes manuals were 20-30 euro or does it depend on the car?

Amazon, used in V.good condition. 6.50 including delivery. There was loads round that price.

Does anyone know an insurance company who would mirror my NCBs?

Could do with a second cheap snotter for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Insurance renewal arrived:

€436 Fully Comp extra (€485 with NCB Protection) on the MR2...sweet :cool:

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Does anyone know an insurance company who would mirror my NCBs?

Could do with a second cheap snotter for the summer

Setanta IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Stupid Credit Union messing me about:( I won't go into the details but I have now been waiting almost 4 weeks for loan approval and they told me now they are not allowed give more than 10,000 over shares because of central bank putting a cap on loans....so I have to keep ringing everyday.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Setanta IIRC.

Cheers for that. Thinking of getting a heap for a couple of hundred to do for a few weeks over the summer. I'll know more in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Was browsing ebay this evening (new to the whole ebay thing).
    So I looked up focus service kits for my car.
    Now I bought my service kit in bits and pieces but ill give you a rough breakdown of what i paid in ford garage same price as other ford garages I rang around.
    Oil filter 12 euro
    Air filter 20 euro
    Fuel filter 90 euro ( didnt have much choice but to pay it the time I brokedown)

So ebay full service kit delivered fram oil + air filter( physically the same different brand), sump nut washer, ufi fuel filter identical to mine steel one ford use the ufi brand, all in delivered 32 euro. That unbelievable they say the parts are of the same or better quality and there is no warranty void(no warranty left anyway). Only thing that concerns me is the fram brand has anyone heard of it? I must be missing something surly its too good to be true?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement