Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Play Ireland

Options
  • 17-11-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why google play and google store is not fully available in Ireland. Very disappointing not having full access.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

How do we not have full access?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

censuspro wrote: »
    Anyone know why google play and google store is not fully available in Ireland. Very disappointing not having full access.

I think it's due to the rights of the media owners or representatives. Spotify launched recently, hopefully that means the powers that be are loosening their grip.
    lertsnim wrote: »
    How do we not have full access?

Apps only in ROI. Try buy a book or movies like you can in a good few other countries. AFAIK there's ways around it by changing IP address but it's not 'official'.

EDIT: Someone in other thread mentioned end of November for sale of devices. Hope their right!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81792137&postcount=334

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Do you mean for movies books and music?I think it has something to do with Ireland ancient licensing laws. definitely not impossible though Apple and Microsoft sell content here.we are a small island and probably not high on their list of priorities.

Apps are the only thing you can buy on Google Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Keith186 wrote: »
    Apps only in ROI.

Oh right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 msouden

I just called the googleplex to see what the company line was on google play media offerings ever coming to Ireland. (via this page: https://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/request.py?contact_type=contact_policy&policy=apps and a US-based Skype number)

The short answer seems to be something like "not in the foreseeable future". So, as an ignorant American, what exactly is the issue? It was probably more work for the googleplex to turn off media sales and allow just app purchasing (the current state) than it would be to then have them "flip the switch" on media sales (and all the cloud goodness that goes with it).

If it's a licensing thing, then I'll cynically jump to "what's the money trail on this?"

3 ideas:

1. Some palms got greased by recording labels
    2. Some wonk was trying to shake down Google to get the change paid for - if not for a slice of the bigger pie. (really dumb)
    3. There's a deliberate gumming up of the licensing change in place because someone with friends in high places thinks their Irish-based "cloud-thingy" widget/plan/startup would be able to compete. (This NEVER works- especially with the G-plex).

Here's the email from the Google rep :

Hi Matt,

Thank you for contacting Google about your issue with the availability of Google Movies and Music. It was my pleasure to assist you but at this time, we're only able to provide support for Google Play issues, so for help with Google Movies and Music, please visit the Google Help Center at http://support.google.com/googleplay/?hl=en, where you'll find extensive, up-to-date information and solutions for that product.

Also I've included a couple of links with further information on availability below:

For Movies and TV

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en-AU&answer=2660028

For Music

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1114577

If for any reason you need to contact us again, please feel free to reply directly to this email or visit our help center at:

support.google.com/googleplay

Best Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So basically you wasted a good email

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It's all to do with licensing and rights. Google have "flipped the switch" in some countries like Mexico and India for more Google Play content over the last few weeks so it's not like it's an Ireland only problem or they aren't working on it.

While I'm not sure about Movies or TV I'm very optimistic about Google Music arriving soon in Ireland. Back in November Google signed a deal with Armonia for the rights to Music. Usually music deals work on a country by country basis which is why you'll see Music in the UK and USA but not in other countries. Spotify have had similar problems. The important thing about the Google Music deal in November was it covered 35 Countries including Ireland, not just one.

http://www.armoniaonline.eu/homeLayout_en
    or full press release at
    http://www.armoniaonline.eu/release/CPArmoniaGoogleEnglish20121119.pdf

Google have a big I/O Conference in May where they usually announce lots of big new features. Screenshots of Google Play 4.0 app are around on tech blogs and I wouldn't be surprised if the music rollout and new play app update are all launched together at the conference.

Google Play 4.0
    http://www.androidauthority.com/google-play-store-4-0-screenshot-leaks-on-google-then-removed-186252/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

msouden wrote: »
    I just called the googleplex to see what the company line was on google play media offerings ever coming to Ireland. (via this page: https://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/request.py?contact_type=contact_policy&policy=apps and a US-based Skype number)

The short answer seems to be something like "not in the foreseeable future". So, as an ignorant American, what exactly is the issue? It was probably more work for the googleplex to turn off media sales and allow just app purchasing (the current state) than it would be to then have them "flip the switch" on media sales (and all the cloud goodness that goes with it).

If it's a licensing thing, then I'll cynically jump to "what's the money trail on this?"

3 ideas:

1. Some palms got greased by recoding labels
    2. Some wonk was trying to shake down Google to get the change paid for - if not for a slice of the bigger pie. (really dumb)
    3. There's a deliberate gumming up of the licensing change in place because someone with friends in high places thinks their Irish-based "cloud-thingy" widget/plan/startup would be able to compete. (This NEVER works- especially with the G-plex).

Here's the email from the Google rep :

Hi Matt,

Thank you for contacting Google about your issue with the availability of Google Movies and Music. It was my pleasure to assist you but at this time, we're only able to provide support for Google Play issues, so for help with Google Movies and Music, please visit the Google Help Center at http://support.google.com/googleplay/?hl=en, where you'll find extensive, up-to-date information and solutions for that product.

Also I've included a couple of links with further information on availability below:

For Movies and TV

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en-AU&answer=2660028

For Music

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1114577

If for any reason you need to contact us again, please feel free to reply directly to this email or visit our help center at:

support.google.com/googleplay

Best Regards,
    When Ireland does eventually get access, it will be with a lot of other countries, announced at something like Google I/O or at least a press release, even if the person who replied to you knew when it was coming here (and it's doubtful even if it was going to be announced tomorrow) he/she would not tell you. That news would be distributed in an official capacity and not to someone who emails them a question

My only purely gut feeling is that we'll have something by the end of the year. Ireland was never going to be in the first European roll out but might very well be in the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Gatling wrote: »
    So basically you wasted a good email

Fair play to Matt for at least making an effort. [Thanks Matt, I gave you a like!!]

You, OTOH, definitely wasted a reply to boards, to give of your smart-ass remark, which illuminated precisely nada.

How come we can't give a "dislike"....in-post??

I put it in the title anyway!!!

• Advertisement

Fair play to Matt for at least making an effort. [Thanks Matt, I gave you a like!!]

You, OTOH, definitely wasted a reply to boards, to give of your smart-ass remark, which illuminated precisely nada.

How come we can't give a "dislike"....in-post??

I put it in the title anyway!!!

Its what the majority already knew no play Ireland get used to it

Its what the majority already knew no play Ireland get used to it

There is Play in Ireland, you just dunno how to get it man :P

There is Play in Ireland, you just dunno how to get it man :P

Have play on my nexus 7 wouldn't let a little thing like that her in the way ,
    Wonder how long we will be waiting for the play prepay cards in tescos

Hehe. I've a wife and an American accent, there's more of *that* kind of Play around me than ever. Irony abounds.

As for the wasted email/skype call - sure. I never really expected to get any *actual* information- just wanted something useful to kick up some dust here on boards and see what comes of it - and see? I learned about the I/O conference, Play 4.0, and Armonia. Thanks folks.

As for the "smartass" - well - downvote me if you like - but that kind of funny money stuff happens all the time. I've a long colorful (no "u") history of smart-assed-ness. It's useful.

Now - I'm gonna go see what/who Armonia is...

Cheers,
    Matt

Hehe. I've a wife and an American accent, there's more of *that* kind of Play around me than ever. Irony abounds.

As for the wasted email/skype call - sure. I never really expected to get any *actual* information- just wanted something useful to kick up some dust here on boards and see what comes of it - and see? I learned about the I/O conference, Play 4.0, and Armonia. Thanks folks.

As for the "smartass" - well - downvote me if you like - but that kind of funny money stuff happens all the time. I've a long colorful (no "u") history of smart-assed-ness. It's useful.

Cheers,
    Matt

He Matt....smartass not directed at you, just the guy with the Gatling [Gun] moniker!!

Anyway, he get's Play, so it's all good. :D

Cheers,
    Matt
    I think the smart ass was for me

I think the smart ass was for me

Didnt see the above post from Irish pancake

No worries guys, I am, and will continue to crack wise. Always. Here's hoping I can do it to cloud-based tunes someday soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Music gone live in Ireland ?
    I seem to have access to Music with no vpn.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, me too.

• Advertisement

No worries guys, I am, and will continue to crack wise. Always. Here's hoping I can do it to cloud-based tunes someday soon.

DOOoooooooooooh

Dude Google listened to you

Now where's my hat and ketchup

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Music here too on my nexus 7

Showing up here as well, only on browser not on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Its showing up in the browser and on my phone here. Uploading a few thousand songs at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I've got it too, how long will it take to upload 22000 songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

JohnK wrote: »
    Its showing up in the browser and on my phone here. Uploading a few thousand songs at the moment :D

Yep working for me too! :)

Strangely enough, Samsung's music hub became available in Ireland only 2 or 3 days ago.

Conspiracy theory territory or what! :)

Yep, got it on my phone as well now

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

At last Happy Days.

My bank account will not be happy though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Music online for me too, although it is the one thing I had already done via vpn before :)

Proper device purchase power is what I really want though in advance of the next Nexus phone. Hopefully this is the start of full play access, but I doubt it'll be that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Updated list of countries
    Music on Google Play is currently available in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain, United States, and United Kingdom.

Advertisement