Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weirdest thing you've got in a chipper?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Remmy wrote: »
    I'd say getting actual cod when you ask for it would be pretty weird too.

Why would anyone want cod, it's tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Why would anyone want cod, it's tasteless.

Because I asked for it? I agree with you that it isn't the most interesting but still..

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

A battered nappy! Went for a nice cycle down on dollymount beach and decided to get a fresh cod from a van which turned out to be a deep fried nappy. When I challenged the owners they drove off. i gave chase on my push bike but they proceeded to throw objects from the van knocking me off my bike. True story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

A battered leg of a fish...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

A battered nappy! Went for a nice cycle down on dollymount beach and decided to get a fresh cod from a van which turned out to be a deep fried nappy. When I challenged the owners they drove off. i gave chase on my push bike but they proceeded to throw objects from the van knocking me off my bike. True story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A little wooden fork with "Debbie" carved in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Good chips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

An aul fella beside me at a chipper van at Old Trafford asked for a tray of chips, mushy peas, a steak and kidney pie and curry sauce but specifically asked the guy serving him to "mix it".
    I watched the guy and he took the top off the pie then mashed the other items into the main part of it, placed the top back on the overflowing mess and handed it to him.
    The aul fella then started applying salt, vinegar and ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Weirdest thing I've ever gotten in a chipper was a threat of rape had I been a homeless guys child, sounds weird but it's true.

Homeless guy came in to the local chipper one night while I was waiting for me grub with a friend, and proceeded to tell us that we could be his daughters but then said no, we couldn't 'cause he'd only rape us :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Pepper. Chippers always have salt, vinegar, sauces etc. They never have pepper. The bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Chipper. Not chip shop.
    Saps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Met himself in a chipper:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

was it a used nappy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A Hawaiian burger.

Ah a taste of paradise

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Ice cream sandwich.
    A friend was serving and I just asked her to suprise me. Went to the jacks and when I returned to the counter she had it wrapped up and ready to go. Whipped ice cream, strawberry syrup and chips on sliced bread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Other customers asking for a "chip" or a "curried chip" WTF?!

Its chips and curry sauce, or a bag/poke/portion of chips. Ive always wished they just gave them a single chip when they ask for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Its chips and curry sauce, or a bag/poke/portion of chips. Ive always wished they just gave them a single chip when they ask for it.

How do you complain about "curried chip" and then go on about getting a "poke" of something? Wtf is that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What I miss most from chippies in Scotland are deep fried black pudding coated in batter with proper chip shop chips, which are really soft, not the utter ****e Ive had in Ireland. Ive probably been in about 40 takeways since I moved here and not had soft chips yet.

What are soft chips? Do you mean soggy, undercooked chips, as opposed to properly cooked ones? If so, why would anyone want that? :confused:

Shryke wrote: »
    How do you complain about "curried chip" and then go on about getting a "poke" of something? Wtf is that.

I'd personally just ask for a bag of chips, but some people say a "poke" of chips.

It's also "Why do you complain" not "How". Dear dear me, what's happening to the education standards.... ;)

Zaph wrote: »
    What are soft chips? Do you mean soggy, undercooked chips, as opposed to properly cooked ones? If so, why would anyone want that? :confused:

Undercooked! EEEUGH no chance. No, I just mean chips that are really soft, they dont have a crispy outer shell. Im not 100% sure how they do it because I cant replicate it at home myself, but its fairly common in most Scottish chip shops.

A Glasgow roll (the best rolls in the world by the way) with loads of butter stuffed with a mountain of soft chips is delicious, especially on a cold winters evening as you walk along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If they're really soft they wouldn't be undercooked. They'd just be ludicrously soaked in oil.

If they're really soft they wouldn't be undercooked. They'd just be ludicrously soaked in oil.

That's true :)

Undercooked! EEEUGH no chance. No, I just mean chips that are really soft, they dont have a crispy outer shell. Im not 100% sure how they do it because I cant replicate it at home myself, but its fairly common in most Scottish chip shops.

Must make sure to avoid chippers in Scotland so. Crispy outside and fluffy on the inside is definitely the way to go.

They'd just be ludicrously soaked in oil.

oil.....mmmmm nom nom nom

Must make sure to avoid chippers in Scotland so. Crispy outside and fluffy on the inside is definitely the way to go.

I do love chips like you say too, just sometimes they can actually be a bit too dry. I guess it would be fair to say I just love chips in general, so long as they are not raw!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

A Glasgow roll (the best rolls in the world by the way) Undercooked! EEEUGH no chance.its fairly common in most Scottish chip shops.

Well ya ain't in Kansas anymore now Toto

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

So we're all in agreement. Chips FTW!

Glad that's settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'd personally just ask for a bag of chips, but some people say a "poke" of chips.

It's also "Why do you complain" not "How". Dear dear me, what's happening to the education standards.... ;)

And some ask for a curried chip rather than a poke, which makes more sense?
    You're a sad man to try and be anal about language when your position is in defence of a poke of chips, but what else can you do but be smarmy.
    How works just fine fyi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Curried chip usually refers to having the curry sauce on the chips rather than chips with a tub of curry. Also, I've never ever heard anyone say "a poke of chips".

• Advertisement

Suas11 wrote: »
    Curried chip usually refers to having the curry sauce on the chips rather than chips with a tub of curry. Also, I've never ever heard anyone say "a poke of chips".

That's because you're Irish. I was talking about chip shops in Scotland.

Advertisement