Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Religious but do Religious things

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Since my grandmother died last year, I've gone to church for her anniversary masses but only really to support my dad. I don't take part in the mass itself. Other than that, I don't see the point in participating in religious activities.

I don't really see the point in the things you said you'd do eg marrying in a church when you don't believe in it. But the one I find strange is you'd baptise your children.
    Getting married in a church, while a bit of a contradiction, has no real effect. But I don't understand why you'd baptise your child while saying "despite not necessarily agreeing with the religious meaning behind these rituals." as that does have an effect; making them a member of the religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

brummytom wrote: »
    I've found myself praying a couple of times when I've been seriously scared/upset, or blessed myself when a hearse drives past. I think that's the essence of religion, a comfort blanket. I did do a double-take and think 'Tom, you don't believe in God...' but fcuk it, covering all bases.

I've often blessed myself for when a hearse passes just out of it being built into me. I don't see it as anything but a nice thing to do.

Though one thing I don't do is pray when I'm hoping for something or when some things are going wrong. I just think it's kind of selfish to only pray when I want something when I'd never do it for any other reason. Anyone else though can do what they like as far as I'm concerned.

You see what this cunt of a religion has done to me even though I don't believe in it! :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Religous events and traditions came from old traditions and are continued on through tradition so you can get married without believing in a god.

Why go to a church and get married in the name of a god you don't believe in though? Seems silly to me, just tradition for the sake of it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

gbee wrote: »
    It's why this country is such a pile of rotting manure TBH. No backbone, no moral fibre, sorry, but that's my opinion and I've no time anymore.

It's also why I say bringing a child up in any religion is child abuse and such right must be removed from parents.

Get of your high horse. "This is why the country is a pile of rotting manure". Such bull, I bet you walk around every day with a huge sense of superiority looking down at those who follow the odd religious custom, part out of habit, part out of belief that there might be something, and perhaps part because of cultural norms. With opinions like those you expressed above, you must have a pretty miserable existence.

"bringing up a child in any religion is child abuse", this statement is even more sh1t and are insulting victims of true child abuse by even making a comparison with getting a child in 21st century Ireland baptised and perhaps sending them to a catholic school. I dont believe the church should be involved in schools but child abuse! Get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Davyhal wrote: »
    I'm the same as the OP, and my mates find it very odd (young gay man here, don't exactly live life on the path of a true Catholic), but I always do many old Catholic things... i.e. Bless myself when passing an ambulance/hearse/church, watch how I am acting/saying when passing priests/nuns, pray in times of crisis... I do at not only to "cover all bases" as that is a bit redundant considering the way I live the rest of my life, but I also do it out of respect for others in society who do still hold the Catholic Church in high esteem... I respect that others believe strongly in Catholic traditions and have consideration for that. For example, when one of my friends passed away there a few years ago in car accident, we all went to the funeral. I took offense on behalf of the family that some of my friends wore baseball caps in the Church and spoke during the mass etc.

Leaving the fact you're gay and assuming god is real (which he's not but tht's besides the point I'm making) exactly how do you think you're fooling the creator of all existence by only praying to "cover the bases"? Do you think god will accept such prayers when you stand at the pearly gates? 'Ah sure, I know you didn't actually believe in me, didn't live like a christian but sure you said a few our fathers so in you go'.

If you don't truly believe then why bother wasting time going through the motions? What do you think that achieves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

tolosenc wrote: »
    But, one doesn't believe in science. There is no faith involved. Science deals solely in proven facts, and should just be "accepted", for want of a better phrase.

As for the OPs question: Was raised with no religion. Have gone to weddings/funerals in chuches of numerous denominations (Catholic ones freak me out the most- you turn around and everyone is sucking their thumb? Can I ask what that is about?). That's about it.

It's about you hallucinating I think.

tolosenc wrote: »
    But, one doesn't believe in science. There is no faith involved. Science deals solely in proven facts, and should just be "accepted", for want of a better phrase.

Eh science has many theories which are often never proven and are sometimes dis-proven. I would bet dollars to donuts that in a couple of hundred years if the human race is still around, what we "know" now will be significantly different from what we will "know" then.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

If you don't truly believe then why bother wasting time going through the motions? What do you think that achieves?

No harm in doing it, not offending anyone... well except maybe Odin, Zeus etc, but they still get their sacrifices of male slaves every 9 years, so they have nothing to complain about...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Gotham wrote: »
    Like OP, I grew up in the same scenario.

My wish upon death is to have the cheapest, no frills funeral - with absolutely no religious overtones. Something that will probably not be possible in Ireland.

It's quite possible to have a non religious funeral in Ireland. You don't have to involve a priest for a funeral and the undertaker will arrange the grave digging etc.
    Attended one a few years ago where,before the coffin was lowered into the grave,people who knew the deceased took it in turn to talk about her and tell stories about how they met her and so on,played some of her favorite music and generally celebrated her life.
    Even die hard old Catholics were saying afterwards that it was the most moving and personal funeral that they had been to, instead of listening to some priest just going through the motions in a monotone voice like he has done a thousand time before and chanting the decade of the rosary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I would bet dollars to donuts that in a couple of hundred years if the human race is still around, what we "know" now will be significantly different from what we will "know" then.

[John Cleese voice] "Well thank you, sir, for stating the bleedin' obvious!"

Daily Mail headline: "Human race continues to learn new stuff about the universe" shocker.

The only religious 'festivities' I partake in these days are weddings and funerals.

• Advertisement

We've had mention of the "kiddie-fiddling", but I'm surprised that there's been no mention of the "sky fairy" or the "flying spaghetti monster. People must be slipping.

Davyhal wrote: »
    No harm in doing it, not offending anyone... well except maybe Odin, Zeus etc, but they still get their sacrifices of male slaves every 9 years, so they have nothing to complain about...

Not offending anyone except the god you're praying to but who you don't believe in..

I just find it an odd waste of time and behaviour to not believe in something but pray to it anyway never mind thinking this somehow will 'cover the bases'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Eh science has many theories which are often never proven and are sometimes dis-proven. I would bet dollars to donuts that in a couple of hundred years if the human race is still around, what we "know" now will be significantly different from what we will "know" then.

Whereas religion sells a certainty in things you know aren't physically possible, and uses the old "interpretation/its a morality tale/thats not literal" getout clause when you can clearly see the bullsh1t involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Science is not a separate belief system, it is merely a way to root out the facts. If religion were fact, then it would be science too. But so far we have no connection, and no evidence of connection. One can not be "too scientific minded", the alternative is to be unreasonable and illogical.
    Additionally, belief is not a choice. If you have doubts then you don't believe.
    housetypeb wrote: »
    It's quite possible to have a non religious funeral in Ireland.

Good to know, thank you! I'll make sure that's in a will somewhere.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    [John Cleese voice] "Well thank you, sir, for stating the bleedin' obvious!"

Daily Mail headline: "Human race continues to learn new stuff about the universe" shocker.

The only religious 'festivities' I partake in these days are weddings and funerals.

If you even bothered to read what I was responding to you would see that I was quoting someone who was saying that science only dealt in facts.

I reponded saying that science dealt in some facts and some theories. Some of which are proven and some which are shown to be false. I stated the bleedin' obvious to further give weight to this by saying that some of what are now considered "facts" i.e. what is "known" will be no longer be a "fact" down the line.

But don't worry by only quoting part of my post you made yourself seem smart and funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Doc wrote: »
    Like the majority of people on here I was born and grew up in a Roman Catholic household. I would now consider myself agnostic in that I don’t necessarily deny that there is a possibility of a God or gods but just think it is impossible to know and don’t have the fate that others do.

Despite my Agnosticism I still take part in a lot of different religious practices such as giving up things for lent or not eating meat on Good Friday. I tend to always go to midnight mass as well on Christmas Eve. I would also probably get married in my local church if I had the choice, and probably have my children baptized. I think I do / would do these things, not because of the religious aspects of these practices, but because of the tradition and social aspects of these rituals.

I grew up with it and continue to do it despite not necessarily agreeing with the religious meaning behind these rituals.

I was wondering how people feel about this.

Do you think it’s bad to take part in a religious ritual if you don’t really believe in it?

Do religious people feel that it is disrespectful?

Do any atheist out there do the same thing?

TLDR Version: I’m not religious but do religious stuff sometimes out of sense of tradition is that ok?

Do you lend your support to any other criminal organisations that facilitated the raping of children?

"believing in science" is stupid sounding, its like saying gravity doesnt apply to you because you dont believe in it.

krudler wrote: »
    "believing in science" is stupid sounding, its like saying gravity doesnt apply to you because you dont believe in it.

I don't think so.

Whereas religion sells a certainty in things you know aren't physically possible, and uses the old "interpretation/its a morality tale/thats not literal" getout clause when you can clearly see the bullsh1t involved.

Agree 100%, I am not religious (I do slip into the habits of blessing myself and praying to god every time I buy a lotto ticket and probably will get children baptised though when have some).

My only point was even taking scientific "facts" as a given is counter productive to science. I mean look at some of the theories in Quantum physics, string theory, multi-verses and all that jazz that I know next to nothing about but every time I see a documentary on it blows my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

McTigs wrote: »
    I cannot understand how people can be so blasé about the RCC in this country with all we know now. I honest cannot fathom how anyone wants anything to do with it. There influence of education and legislation and their general mindfcuk over their congregations has done more damage to this country than any empire ever did. And as long as there are people like the OP, they will continue to have that influence

As for baptising your children when you don't actually believe in it yourself, that is just plain ****ing ridiculous. For those who put forward the schooling arguement, as long as people go along with it the longer the stupid system remains in place.

Agree completely. The brain-washing was deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Doc wrote: »
    Like the majority of people on here I was born and grew up in a Roman Catholic household. I would now consider myself agnostic in that I don’t necessarily deny that there is a possibility of a God or gods but just think it is impossible to know and don’t have the fate that others do.

Why do you think the religion you were born into is the only option? If you believe there could be a God then why not look into other religions and you might find one of them is right for you?

Why do you think the religion you were born into is the only option? If you believe there could be a God then why not look into other religions and you might find one of them is right for you?

as Homer Simpson once said: "but Marge, what if we chose the wrong religion? every week we're just making god madder and madder"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Don't know who said it but:

"No I don't believe in God.

The bastard."
    :)

I'm not much of a believer but I live and let live.
    I still think it's better to have it than not though. When life gets **** and you can't handle things the belief that there is a higher power may get you through things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yet it would be wrong for a follower of one of the other 3,000 deities?

Maybe it doesn't matter which religion we follow. Maybe the ability that we have to believe in a higher power is a gift in itself.

Pj! wrote: »
    Maybe it doesn't matter which religion we follow. Maybe the ability that we have to believe in a higher power is a gift in itself.

hows that a gift? if nobody told you there was supposed to be a god you wouldnt be any the wiser. nobody is born believing in god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

hows that a gift? if nobody told you there was supposed to be a god you wouldnt be any the wiser. nobody is born believing in god.

Nobody is born disbeliving in God either.

Don't tell any of tomorrows kids that there is a god and they will create their own.

Look through history and the different beliefs people created in every corner of the world. There have been many, many different religions. It's what we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's because the very definition of "belief" requires the person to aware of the concept in which belief is professed.

If you were never made aware of the concept (of your current god), you would likely never believe.
    Don't tell any of tomorrows kids that there is a god and they will create their own.

Look through history and the different beliefs people created in every corner of the world. There have been many, many different religions. It's what we do.
    Does that not basically prove that everyone's "God" must be wrong? If the ability to believe is a gift, then surely the concept of God would be the same no matter where in the world is was conjured up? Instead, when left in isolation people invent gods which are completely different to those invented elsewhere. In some cases, they don't invent gods at all.

• Advertisement

If only that wasn't true but the real problem is what follows birth.

For someone from the 'outside' The existence of a god sending himself to be born as a virgin birth, to make sick people well, walk on water, etc, die on a cross, arise 3 days later and then ascend into heaven along with stuff like transubstantiation and so on and so forth (along with the same type of rubbish all religions spout) should be absolutely ridiculous but unfortunately children are brainwashed from an early age in Ireland and elsewhere to consider the above as reality or at the very least a possibility...

Whilst many nowadays eventually don't accept these fairytales what it does is 'normalise' a ridiculous proposition. If only all mention of gods/religion etc could be banned till people reached 18. I'd be willing to bet organised religions would mostly vanish overnight and be relegated to crazy communes out in the desert.

Advertisement