Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Religious but do Religious things

Options
  • 16-11-2012 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Like the majority of people on here I was born and grew up in a Roman Catholic household. I would now consider myself agnostic in that I don’t necessarily deny that there is a possibility of a God or gods but just think it is impossible to know and don’t have the fate that others do.

Despite my Agnosticism I still take part in a lot of different religious practices such as giving up things for lent or not eating meat on Good Friday. I tend to always go to midnight mass as well on Christmas Eve. I would also probably get married in my local church if I had the choice, and probably have my children baptized. I think I do / would do these things, not because of the religious aspects of these practices, but because of the tradition and social aspects of these rituals.

I grew up with it and continue to do it despite not necessarily agreeing with the religious meaning behind these rituals.

I was wondering how people feel about this.

Do you think it’s bad to take part in a religious ritual if you don’t really believe in it?

Do religious people feel that it is disrespectful?

Do any atheist out there do the same thing?

TLDR Version: I’m not religious but do religious stuff sometimes out of sense of tradition is that ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I think live and let live. Who is to tell you that you are wrong.

PS. I'm probably in the same boat as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I've found myself praying a couple of times when I've been seriously scared/upset, or blessed myself when a hearse drives past. I think that's the essence of religion, a comfort blanket. I did do a double-take and think 'Tom, you don't believe in God...' but fcuk it, covering all bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Doc wrote: »
    TLDR Version: I’m not religious but do religious stuff sometimes out of sense of tradition is that ok?

mate, you have the right to live your life the way you want & no one has the right to say you are wrong :)

But of course, alot of people will try to tell you that you are wrong (especially on here)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Like the majority of people on here I was born and grew up in a Roman Catholic household. I would now consider myself agnostic in that I don’t necessarily deny that there is a possibility of a God or gods but just think it is impossible to know and don’t have the fate that others do.

Despite my Agnosticism I still take part in a lot of different religious practices such as giving up things for lent or not eating meat on Good Friday. I tend to always go to midnight mass as well on Christmas Eve. I would also probably get married in my local church if I had the choice, and probably have my children baptized. I think I do / would do these things, not because of the religious aspects of these practices, but because of the tradition and social aspects of these rituals.

I grew up with it and continue to do it despite not necessarily agreeing with the religious meaning behind these rituals.

Do you think it’s bad to take part in a religious ritual if you don’t really believe in it?

People like you are the only reason the church survives in this country.
    So no I don't think it's ok. But who am I to tell you what to do? That's for the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

welcome to the club OP, we are the typical Irish Catholic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So no I don't think it's ok. But who am I to tell you what to do? That's for the church.

Still had to get your two cents in tho didnt you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

mate, you have the right to live your life the way you want & no one has the right to say you are wrong :)

But of course, alot of people will try to tell you that you are wrong (especially on here)

Don't worry I don't mind people thinking I'm wrong and I'm not looking for validation, but I'm interested to see if many people do feel that your either in our your out and you shouldn't get to just pick the stuff you like and ignore the bits you don't. Which I think is a valid point of view even if I don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Still had to get your two cents in tho didnt you ;)

He asked a question, I answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

* a lot

I like parts of the church as I said so I don't mind that it survives because in actuality it cant tell me what to do. It can only make suggestions which I am free to ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Most of those things are pretty harmless but you should probably think twice about baptising your hypothetical child; indoctrinating them into a religion just for the sake of "tradition" (especially one that no longer lets you formally leave) will have more implications than whether or not you eat a steak on Good Friday.

Most of those things are pretty harmless but you should probably think twice about baptising your hypothetical child; indoctrinating them into a religion just for the sake of "tradition" (especially one that no longer lets you formally leave) will have more implications than whether or not you eat a steak on Good Friday.

How so? What implications dose it really have? It would never prevent my child from doing anything in its life.

In some ways it could even be beneficial. I know a few people in Australia that got there kids baptised because the best schools in the area were Catholic schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Most schools in this country were founded by the church.

Most hospitals in the country were founded by the church.

Most rural/urban communities in the country were founded around the church.

I'm not a practicing Catholic but I go to funerals/weddings/christenings and obey the traditions out of respect for my family/friends that are practicing Catholics.

I don't believe in god really, but I don't have blind belief in science either. I think it's good to have some respect for the church because it provided Irish society with a structure.

You're not really selling your soul to Jesus by attending your friends/family's occasions OP, you're just observing Irish traditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Last Catholic thing I did was tick the box on the census form

Catholic numbers went up in the census, possibly due to a few hundred thousand Poles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The bits I think are bemusing:

If you don't believe then why give up for lent? Why not eat meat on Friday? These are religious things for religious purposes. It makes no sense to partake in them.

The bits that are disrespectful (and still bemusing): Getting your children baptized and getting married in a church. If you don't believe you don't belong in there. Being Irish, having lots of friends that do it is no excuse. Moreover there's the issue of taking the choice of religion out of the hands of your child.

Regarding things like attending mass, these are ok if you're invited to a wedding etc but again, why bother with voluntarily going to mass (and taking up a seat) if it's not something you believe in?

Final question: If someone you knew observed muslim traditions ie Ramadan, wanted to get married in a mosque etc etc and didn't believe in their version of god would you think that was perfectly fine/disrespectful/weird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭emuhead

OP, I am what you think are 'religious', albeit not Catholic (anymore). The way I see it is that the rituals (meat on Fridays etc.) are a source of psychological comfort to you. I don't see it as disrespectful. Are there alternative things you can do that will make you feel the same, but without the religious component? My 2 cents -life is to short to spend time on things that you don't really believe in.

Re the baptism, I can see why people do this - to give their children more choice re schooling. I'm not sure what I would do myself there.

I think the church wedding is a bit different though. This is a very public commitment, and I do think it is disrespecting Catholic people who practice their religion.

Best of luck to you OP

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

Regardless of your religious beliefs, some aspects of Catholicism are invaluable like Confession and Lent not to mention the social aspects of Communion, Confirmation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's why this country is such a pile of rotting manure TBH. No backbone, no moral fibre, sorry, but that's my opinion and I've no time anymore.

It's also why I say bringing a child up in any religion is child abuse and such right must be removed from parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I don't believe in god really, but I don't have blind belief in science either.

Thats good because you are not meant to. Blind belief in any form should be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I grew up in a Catholic home in Ireland; my parents and extended family are all very Catholic.

I don't give up things for Lent (never did as a child, either, and my parents never forced us to.)

I eat meat most days, I'm as likely to eat it on "Good Friday" as on any other day of the year.

I'm not sure what 'social' aspects you're referring to, as regards these 'traditions'. :confused: It's not like anyone else is going to care/notice what you are or aren't eating, surely?! It hasn't happened in my own experience, anyways.

If I got married, it would not involve any religious ceremonies. I'll allow any children to choose whether or not they want religion in their lives, when they're old enough to do so.

Honestly, I don't consider it 'bad' (bit of Catholic guilt there? ;) ) It's just bizarre, though, in my opinion! I don't get it myself.

I would imagine very much so.

I know of many "a la carte" Catholics who do so - I don't know of any atheists who do so, though.

Whatever you can live with yourself is OK. :) Personally I wouldn't be happy to mindlessly follow rituals/traditions that I don't believe in. And it makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Baptising a child isn't indoctrination, you are simply setting your preferences.

Taking that child to mass every week is indoctrinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Thats good because you are not meant to. Blind belief in any form should be avoided.

QFT.

When a doctrine/ideology claims it has all the answers it's time start questioning its honesty/intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Atheists like me don't really give much of a sh1t what others do, just as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on me either directly or by harnessing the laws of the land to force others into the straitjacket they think their invisible friend wants us to be in.;)

A lot of things agnostics and atheists do - words and phrases they use, gestures they adopt - are the result of conditioning earlier in life, before it dawned on us that religion is just a load of hogwash. It takes a lot of time to shake off those manifestations of superstition, especially if one continues to live in a society where those practices continued to be followed by people all around one.:)

As for fasting, it's a practice that's a lot older than organised religion, which simply adopted it and ritualised it. Since at least the beginning of agriculture around 10,000 years ago, food stocks have tended to run low towards the end of the crop cycle - early spring in the Northern Hemisphere - and belts had to be tightened before the new season's crops were ready. Societies adopted the custom of fasting. i.e. greatly reducing the food intake for a period, and often had one final bash of feasting and celebrating before they knuckled down to moderation.:)

In fact, giving up the gargle or the gaspers for a period like Lent is good for you. Full stop, irrespective of whether it is meant as a sacrifice to the sky fairy or not.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Atheists like me don't really give much of a sh1t what others do, just as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on me either directly or by harnessing the laws of the land to force others into the straitjacket they think their invisible friend wants us to be in.;)

A lot of things agnostics and atheists do - words and phrases they use, gestures they adopt - are the result of conditioning earlier in life, before it dawned on us that religion is just a load of hogwash. It takes a lot of time to shake off those manifestations of superstition, especially if one continues to live in a society where those practices continued to be followed by people all around one.:)

As for fasting, it's a practice that's a lot older than organised religion, which simply adopted it and ritualised it. Since at least the beginning of agriculture around 10,000 years ago, food stocks have tended to run low towards the end of the crop cycle - early spring in the Northern Hemisphere - and belts had to be tightened before the new season's crops were ready. Societies adopted the custom of fasting. i.e. greatly reducing the food intake for a period, and often had one final bash of feasting and celebrating before they knuckled down to moderation.:)

In fact, giving up the gargle or the gaspers for a period like Lent is good for you. Full stop, irrespective of whether it is meant as a sacrifice to the sky fairy or not.;)
    Speak for yourself there Chief.

OK?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The Op's actions help bolster the RCC's influence on the country by falsely inflating their figures of devotees.
    Well done OP. You are partially, in an infinitely small way to blame for the death in Galway Savita Halappanavar.
    Only Joking;)

Not really:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Just do whatever you feel comfotable with.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Don't bother doing most religious things now, maybe go to mass at Xmas, just to keep the ma on side.

Start of the disenchantment was a priest giving out to me when I had a memory block with my act of contrition in confession. Religion of tolerance and understanding me a*se.
    Of course in the parishioners' eyes he was a 'good priest' because he gave a short mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I charge extra on Sundays.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

why would you do something that you don't believe in? Is it to satisfy others? if so, you need to stop doing things to please others - you will be happier.

no offence, but the "church" seems to still has it's grasp of you, although you say you don't believe in it, you still take part. Exactly what they want you to do.

Outside the "church" would you do things that you don't agree with doing, or don't believe in??

If you want to fast on a day, go ahead. It doesn't have to be "good friday". If you want to give up smoking, go ahead - it doesn't have to be in lent.

free you mind.

(just my opinion of course and no offense intended).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Apart from the religious language that's part of my cursing vocabulary, I don't engage in any religious rituals off my own bat. They bring me no pleasure, so why would I?

If something doesn't please me and it doesn't serve any useful purpose, I don't do it. Simple as. That's the basis on which I ignore most traditions.

Advertisement