Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Religious but do Religious things

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

9959 wrote: »
    Not getting at you 'lazygal', but as an atheist I would much prefer Philo's take no prisoners, onward Christian soldiers, 'clarity of vision' shtick, however bonkers,

to

the mealy-mouthed, I think I believe but then again, not organised religion like, it's just, well you know something spiritual eh, you have to believe in something don't you?......well don't you? I mean, there must be something out there....like maybe eh, not god but you know....

Philo,
    keep fighting the fight, however much I disagree with you, you're never rude or abusive.
    Your proselytizing can be very wearisome and perhaps you feel duty-bound to be constantly 'on message', but hey, it takes all sorts.
    If there were no 'true believers' like yourself, on threads such as this, it would all become very boring, very quickly.
    Even though you're not trying to be funny, I think some of your stuff is hilarious.
    Yours in mirth,

This is a very good point that I fully agree with. I don't agree with Philo's beliefs but I admire and respect his consistency. Penn Jillette explains that pretty well in this clip:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Op, give your child the choice of being baptised when he or she is an adult if he or she so wishes.

One of the greatest scams of the catholic church is this notion that a child needs to be cleansed of original sin. Handy way of upping numbers right there.

How people can't see beyond that crap is beyond me. I was baptized a catholic and thus they have my membership to count in their numbers when arguing for maintaining power in places such as schools and social policy.

Even though I despise their organization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

lazygal wrote: »
    Have you ever successfully witnessed to friends/family/passersby? Or do people just start to drift away or suddenly have to leave when you start to explain your trust in Jesus as Lord and the incarnation of Jesus?

Yes I have actually.

Most times when I talk about the Gospel to work colleagues, friends and family it is because they ask me questions first.

I've had nobody suddenly leave, or drift away. Most are interested and ask more.

I've seen people who didn't believe come to trust in Jesus before largely through helping people to see what God's word has to say to them. He's an incredible God and will draw people to Himself even most in the world reject Him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

woodoo wrote: »
    The church offers a good ceremony at important times in peoples lives, births, deaths, marriages etc. I think that is the only reason so many people stay.

You're right, I think its part of our genetic makeup that we like order and certain ceremonies to take place at different points in our lifetimes. It's harmless imo, the Church doesn't make anybody stay, that's an argument the frustrated young atheists like to claim. I know people who were raised Catholics who now freely practice another religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

9959 wrote: »
    Not getting at you 'lazygal', but as an atheist I would much prefer Philo's take no prisoners, onward Christian soldiers, 'clarity of vision' shtick, however bonkers,

to

the mealy-mouthed, I think I believe but then again, not organised religion like, it's just, well you know something spiritual eh, you have to believe in something don't you?......well don't you? I mean, there must be something out there....like maybe eh, not god but you know....

Philo,
    keep fighting the fight, however much I disagree with you, you're never rude or abusive.
    Your proselytizing can be very wearisome and perhaps you feel duty-bound to be constantly 'on message', but hey, it takes all sorts.
    If there were no 'true believers' like yourself, on threads such as this, it would all become very boring, very quickly.
    Even though you're not trying to be funny, I think some of your stuff is hilarious.
    Yours in mirth,

This is very kind. I appreciate your post. It would be nicer to be discussing this kind of thing in person and spending the time to get to know people properly. The Internet is a place where strong opinions meet, sometimes in ways that would never be seen in public :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I don't believe in the Catholic church, I don't believe in the preachings of someone that may have done worse in their life than me. I pray, and my beliefs have no reflections on any organised religion, but believe there's a lot more. In the great words of a lady who in my opinion, just seems to make sense at the craziest parts in my life. I'd often hear her lyrics randomnly occur. "There are no guns, no bombs, no disease, there's no hungry mouths to feed".. be it on radio 1, or will leahy on 2FM randomnly plays it on a Friday evening, Nancy Griffiths does it for me.

We're on this planet lads...for a short time...not a long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You're right, I think its part of our genetic makeup that we like order and certain ceremonies to take place at different points in our lifetimes. It's harmless imo, the Church doesn't make anybody stay, that's an argument the frustrated young atheists like to claim. I know people who were raised Catholics who now freely practice another religion.

But once you're baptised you're on the books forever which is a bad thing IMO. Mostly tho its disrespectful and frankly dishonest to use religious services for these milestones if you don't believe in them especially when they can be easily replaced with non religious services.

Advertisement