Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes settle with woman over wearing a Hijab

Options
  • 14-11-2012 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4643144/Hijab-or-her-job.html
    A MUSLIM woman has agreed a settlement with Dunnes Stores after she left her job because she was not allowed to wear a hijab.

Ex-sales assistant Loreta Tavoraite claimed she wanted to work but could not do so due to the firm’s rigid staff uniforms policy.

Should they have settled? Would it bother you if somebody was serving you with a hijab on?

I dont really have a strong opinion on it either way but it interests me what people think :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If people want to wear them on their own time that's fine but the place has a uniforms policy, take it or leave it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

She would have been given a copy of the policy on being hired, if she didnt like it then tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Should they have settled? yes, of course. It appears that for this role, there was no reason why an employee should not wear a Hijab.

I'm surprised it got as far as it did to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

Is that not something that should have been discussed before contracts were signed? Personally I think uniform is uniform and should be the same for everyone. If you start to make exceptions for one then where does it end?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

In fairness, she was working for the company and knew about the uniforms before she decided she now had to wear something contravening the dress code.

Her choice. I honestly don't see why Dunnes should be held accountable.

Also, did she walk out or was she fired? The articles seems to say both...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

krudler wrote: »
    She would have been given a copy of the policy on being hired, if she didnt like it then tough.

she converted to islam while working there, idk if she signed any contract with a dress code policy though

bluewolf wrote: »
    If people want to wear them on their own time that's fine but the place has a uniforms policy, take it or leave it

It doesn't matter what their policy is, if their policy discriminates against people.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Also, did she walk out or was she fired? The articles seems to say both...

it seems she walked/forced out is my understanding of it, i'm open to correction though

It doesn't matter what their policy is, if their policy discriminates against people.

thats a good point too, i keep changing me mind on this topic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Headscarf I have no problem with, what's the big deal? Sound's pretty backward on Dunnes part to me.

• Advertisement

How so?
    People choose to work there, they choose to agree to the uniform policy. If they don't agree, they can find employment elsewhere.
    The company can insist on uniforms, they are not a public body but a private company.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It insists on a uniform, that's not discrimination.
    If this person chooses to wear a hijab of their own volition then it conflicts with the uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I dunno, I have no problem with a Sikh wearing a turban so why should I have a problem with a Muslim wearing a hijab?

If it's not a security issue why shouldn't it be allowed?

Where To wrote: »

That's the decision of the private company. You might as well ask "if jeans aren't a security issue why shouldn't they be allowed". The whole point is that they have a particular uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mconigol wrote: »
    Headscarf I have no problem with, what's the big deal? Sound's pretty backward on Dunnes part to me.

What other religious clothing should be allowed? Or would you bring in a discriminatory policy of certain types of religious clothes are allowed but not others? What ones are acceptable? If the scientologists decide all their women should wear a 2 foot Godzilla chewing on some Japanese people on their heads, is that allowed? Or just religions that are more than 100 years old?

I dunno, I have no problem with a Sikh wearing a turban so why should I have a problem with a Muslim wearing a hijab?

I've got no problem with either, but I do acknowledge that a company has a right to impose dress code or uniform for their employees.

If the lady had worked at Stringfellows and had decided that she can now only swing round the pole fully covered head to toe, would Stringfellows have had to accept that and continue her employment under these new conditions?

yeah i'd have to agree, i've decided on the let her wear the scarf if she wants to side, it makes no odds to me whats on somebodies head when i reach the til

This is partly the reason that immigration into Europe has failed - failure to integrate into that particular societies rules, beliefs etc

What, because masses of Lithuanians suddenly refuse to integrate and take up wearing head scarves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Eh, it's not really the same, but I wouldn't agree with anybody arguing to wear rosary beads during their job.

I've got no problem with either, but I do acknowledge that a company has a right to impose dress code or uniform for their employees.

If the lady had worked at Stringfellows and had decided that she can now only swing round the pole fully covered head to toe, would Stringfellows have had to accept that and continue her employment under these new conditions?

stop making good points, i was decided 2 minutes ago :pac:

• Advertisement

She chose to stay home and ultimately got fired for lack of attendance.

If the job required a standard uniform then she needs to wear a standard uniform. Putting your religion above your job is daft. When she refused to go to work im sure her religion didn't magically put food on the table and pay the bills for her.

How so?
    People choose to work there, they choose to agree to the uniform policy. If they don't agree, they can find employment elsewhere.
    The company can insist on uniforms, they are not a public body but a private company.

If a uniform policy does not allow for headscarves, it is effectively discriminating against Muslim women. That is not acceptable.

If there is a fundamental reason why headwear cannot be worn then fair enough, but I can't think of any reason why working on a Dunnes checkout would mean someone cannot wear a piece of clothing that is a fundamental part of their faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

davet82 wrote: »
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4643144/Hijab-or-her-job.html

Should they have settled? Would it bother you if somebody was serving you with a hijab on?

I dont really have a strong opinion on it either way but it interests me what people think :)
    Jesuz no, we cant have them forin musslim wimmins thinkin their culture is respected, where would it end!

Especially not when its ok that our politicans recite catholic prayers in our National Parliment each day it sits, or that our state tv and radio broadcast the catholic call to prayer every day, ffs they'll want secularization next!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

This is partly the reason that immigration into Europe has failed - failure to integrate into that particular societies rules, beliefs etc

What has immigration into Europe got to do with it. It took me all of 0.17 seconds on Google to learn that the woman is Lithuanian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Its a Hijab, not a full Burka.
    I have a rising feeling of apathy... oh never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If a uniform policy does not allow for headscarves, it is effectively discriminating against Muslim women. That is not acceptable.

If there is a fundamental reason why headwear cannot be worn then fair enough, but I can't think of any reason why working on a Dunnes checkout would mean someone cannot wear a piece of clothing that is a fundamental part of their faith.

A burqa might not stop her working on a till either, should she be allowed wear one of those or s that discrimination too?

I doubt any of the lads working in Dunnes would be allowed wear a stupid looking baseball cap backwards in work, what about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

That's the decision of the private company. You might as well ask "if jeans aren't a security issue why shouldn't they be allowed". The whole point is that they have a particular uniform.
    So I wonder how many Dunnes employees have been reprimanded for wearing a crucifix?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't know of any religion to requires it's adherents to wear jeans but if there was one, I bet it would be Mormonism.

Plenty of muslim women don't see a need to wear a headscarf. It's their choice to wear it.
    Where To wrote:
    So I wonder how many Dunnes employees have been reprimanded for wearing a crucifix?
    I understand from the posts that she was reprimanded for failing to show up at work (I can't click the OP link), because she wouldn't show up without the headscarf. See how many refuse to attend work for not being allowed to wear jewellery, I'm sure the outcome would be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Eh, it's not really the same, but I wouldn't agree with anybody arguing to wear rosary beads during their job.

Aren't they usually worn around the neck, under the uniform ? Not visible to the public ?

If I ever work in Dunnes ill be donning my colander on the first day. And I will fight for my right to wear my religious kitchen tool.

What's the point in uniforms if 1 person gets to wear something different ?

Advertisement