Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagate 500gb Hardrive €49.99 in Argos (with free 4gb memory stick)

Options
  • 13-11-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9052781.htm

Ok, I'm sure there's probably similar or better prices if you're ordering online from overseas but for those of us who still prefer to just go into a store and pick something up this is a great price. I know Aldi do offers every so often but it's the lowest i've seen them in a long time.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Are these powered by USB, or is there a separate power cable? Looking for a 500gb/1tb storage myself, and might get one of these if it's usb powered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Kiith wrote: »
    Are these powered by USB, or is there a separate power cable? Looking for a 500gb/1tb storage myself, and might get one of these if it's usb powered.

yeah they're usb powerwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

Kiith wrote: »

According to this review you don't need a power supply:

"Bought the unit to reformat to FAT32 and use as an expansion unit for my PS3. Easy enough to reformat and does exactly what I want it too. It also does not require an external power supply which is a big improvement over previous seagare hdd's I have owned. Only owned for a month so can't comment on long term reliability. Overall, very happy with my purchase."

This looks like the same one on Amazon which also states that is it usb powered: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-500GB-Expansion-Portable-Drive/dp/B001XM4P1O

It is strange that it includes a power adapter though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Nuno

It looks like a really good deal. I checked out komplett.ie for something similar in that price range, and the closest I could find was a WD Elements 500GB for €67.95.. so the Seagate drive is nearly €18 cheaper.
    Unless there's some technical reason not to touch this drive, I'd say go for it. I may just pick up one myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Nuno wrote: »
    It looks like a really good deal. I checked out komplett.ie for something similar in that price range, and the closest I could find was a WD Elements 500GB for €67.95.. so the Seagate drive is nearly €18 cheaper.
    Unless there's some technical reason not to touch this drive, I'd say go for it. I may just pick up one myself :D

I've had a seagate one for over a year and never had a problem with it. Now all I use it for though is putting movies on it and watch them on the xbox or ps3.

I need a second one because I'd rather keep my movie library than keep deleting movies to make way for new ones so I've reserved one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Eireann81 wrote: »
    According to this review you don't need a power supply:

"Bought the unit to reformat to FAT32 and use as an expansion unit for my PS3. Easy enough to reformat and does exactly what I want it too. It also does not require an external power supply which is a big improvement over previous seagare hdd's I have owned. Only owned for a month so can't comment on long term reliability. Overall, very happy with my purchase."

This looks like the same one on Amazon which also states that is it usb powered: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-500GB-Expansion-Portable-Drive/dp/B001XM4P1O

It is strange that it includes a power adapter though :confused:

I think its a typo, why would it come with a USB 3.0 cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Must pick one up myself for when I get a Wii U down the line. :-)

Cheers OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Many thanks OP. Great deal and just reserved one in Liffey Valley. Just to point out that I got the last free memory stick in stock in that store... It will likely be the case that there will be a stock mismatch between the hard drive and the memory stick in most stores...

1000 posts :) *raises bat*

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Only downside I can see is that it seems that it's USB 2.0.

Good price for b&m though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

500Gb is bit pants though hence why the same price. 1Tb and higher seems to be more norm, especially as most of these are used to carry around high def films etc for playing on TVs, media players

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheDriver wrote: »
    500Gb is bit pants though hence why the same price. 1Tb and higher seems to be more norm, especially as most of these are used to carry around high def films etc for playing on TVs, media players

They have the 1tb drives reduced aswell,there's 33% off the price of them.USB 3.0 & Free flash drive.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9052839/c_1/1|category_root|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|14418968/c_2/3|19780850|Hard+drives%2C+USBs+and+data+storage|14419053/c_3/4|cat_14419053|Portable+hard+drives|14419054.htm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Not much stock of them left, none in Blanch, none in St. Stephen's Green, 5 in Liffey Valley and I just reserved one of 3 left in Jervis Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

currys have a 1tb for 79.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

TY OP, just reserved the last 2 in Jervis!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

I reserved 1 of these from stephens green but im gona pass on it now so if any 1 wants the reservation number just let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

TY OP, just reserved the last 2 in Jervis!!!
    +hate :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Only downside I can see is that it seems that it's USB 2.0.

Good price for b&m though.

Its USB 3. Ask for the flash drive if they don't give it to you automatically. :)

Saahhhweeeeet for 50 sheets. Love it op.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

got one last night in Cork - wasnt the Seagate drive they gave, but a Toshiba 500GB instead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Can Anyone confirm 100% whether or not these require a power supply? I have one reserved, ill leave it if it requires a power supply to operate!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

no power supply needed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Slipshaney wrote: »
    no power supply needed

Great stuff, ill pick that up after work. Thanks and thanks OP

Is there any point in requesting they contact you when the memory sticks come in stock? Is there any chance of getting one if they are not in stock the day you purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭bren2001

Its USB 3. Ask for the flash drive if they don't give it to you automatically. :)

Saahhhweeeeet for 50 sheets. Love it op.

I think its USB 2.0. Just because they supply a 3.0 cable, doesn't mean it is 3.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

Deedsie wrote: »
    Great stuff, ill pick that up after work. Thanks and thanks OP

Is there any point in requesting they contact you when the memory sticks come in stock? Is there any chance of getting one if they are not in stock the day you purchase?

The "free" usb stick was otu of stock in the store I went to. They let me pay the balance to get a 32gb one.

I also got a Toshiba non mains powered unit instead of the one advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Hi y'all.

Was down in Tesco in Dun Laoghaire Bloomfields last night and picked up a Samsung 750 portable hardrive for 34 euros reduced from 109. Saw they had a 1 TB Seagate I think for 28 euros but was desktop and have enough storage for time being so was happy with the portable. That was about 9pm.

Upshot is I have a code for Stephens Green Argos for the Seagate 500 gb for 49. They didn't have the USB at the time.

PM me if you want it.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

cheers op, reserved one yesterday in Jervis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Hi y'all.

Was down in Tesco in Dun Laoghaire Bloomfields last night and picked up a Samsung 750 portable hardrive for 34 euros reduced from 109. Saw they had a 1 TB Seagate I think for 28 euros but was desktop and have enough storage for time being so was happy with the portable. That was about 9pm.

Upshot is I have a code for Stephens Green Argos for the Seagate 500 gb for 49. They didn't have the USB at the time.

PM me if you want it.

Cheers.

Thats a great price for 750gb. Was there any more available there?

Advertisement