Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone actually pay to download music?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    No.

I pay for music in the following formats

1) Vinyl
    2) CD

Pffft....mini-disc ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Ugh the thoughts of listening to Youtube conversions... I can only imagine the quality.

I buy and I download. Indiscriminately in both cases. Although i do buy if they're a smaller band, especially an Irish smaller band.

And I go to whatever gigs I see coming up of bands I like. They get moolah that way from me too. And a lot of the time I'll buy an album at the gig if I've downloaded it prior.

I've nothing to be guilty about, I've a wall of purchased music at home in my parents house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

keith16 wrote: »
    Pffft....mini-disc ftw.

Overrated format.
    Pretty limited selection of releases too.

Overrated format.
    Pretty limited selection of releases too.

Bootlegging gigs man! Although now there's so many digital recorders for that... But you'll never beat a pro mini disc recorder for on the spot editing.

I did once get caught downloading music by the artist themselves. That was awkward.
    Went to a gig, talked to him after and said how great it was and loved the album
    "It's not out here yet...."
    "oh...eh..yeah my friend in the states sent me a ... CD.. I've to go"
    I think I bought a badge off him, and he hasn't returned to these shores since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I did once get caught downloading music by the artist themselves. That was awkward.
    Went to a gig, talked to him after and said how great it was and loved the album
    "It's not out here yet...."
    "oh...eh..yeah my friend in the states sent me a ... CD.. I've to go"
    I think I bought a badge off him, and he hasn't returned to these shores since.

Would you have gone to the gig if you hadn't listened to the download first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I always payed for music before reading this thread.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Would you have gone to the gig if you hadn't listened to the download first?
    Not at all, I heard a snippet of a song and thought "ooh, that sounds good" and so I got the album the only way I could, as it wasn't in the shops. I think he was still a bit annoyed that I was so blatantly illegally owning his music.
    He was the support act, and the only reason I went.

I'm not sure you could even get his stuff here now, maybe in Tower Records..

But yeah, I was making that point above - I download and buy, but I go to see a lot of musicians when they play here, and in some cases travel to see them if they're not going to make it here on a tour (europe or UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

offliberty

Bootlegging gigs man! Although now there's so many digital recorders for that... But you'll never beat a pro mini disc recorder for on the spot editing.

Yes - great for recording gigs and making compilations. No doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 fouga

Mimann wrote: »
    Yes the top 20% do quite well, but after that the majority musicians would make the average industrial wage and less.

Alot of people here would want to do a bit of research before they start spouting **** as facts, there's been alot of it so far in this thread.

I'm not that interested in music, so I only listen to all the bigger bands and artists. I dont download music from those lesser known musicians. So im afraid this part applies for me("the top 20% do quite well")
    But to be honest if I couldn't get it for free, I wouldn't download and listen to alot of the crap thats out there today

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Just Downloaded 5 Albums While Reading This. Free Of Course

Thank You Sony & EMI :)

haha I got the first few episodes of the walking dead season 3 for free, but it took a little bit longer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The last album I bought was in 2004 in Andorra, in a little back arsed shop that had the original Terminator Soundtrack for €3.

The one before that was the Bloodhound Gang single , and you know the song ;)

So no, I don't see myself ever paying for music...ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

fouga wrote: »
    I'm not that interested in music, so I only listen to all the bigger bands and artists. I dont download music from those lesser known musicians. So im afraid this part applies for me("the top 20% do quite well")
    But to be honest if I couldn't get it for free, I wouldn't download and listen to alot of the crap thats out there today
    so what you're saying is....I'm not interested in cars, so i only drive the bigger brands, i don't steal the cheaper brands, to be honest if i wasn't a car thief i wouldn't bother driving...

so what you're saying is....I'm not interested in cars, so i only drive the bigger brands, i don't steal the cheaper brands, to be honest if i wasn't a car thief i wouldn't bother driving...

that makes no sense at all, completely different context and makes you look like an idiot. How about you read the posts before this one before making any more comments.
    I love how people are comparing downloading music to stealing cars and robbing shops. Do you have any idea what your talking about, I mean seriously do you????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

UCDVet wrote: »
    I love MP3s. Not because of the music, but because it demonstrates how full of crap music lovers are. See, I'm old enough to remember when MP3s first started going mainstream. I'm also old enough to remember when regular people started getting internet connections.

See, before then, people were always talking about the big music business and how it produced soulless crap. Mostly these people just wanted to feel smug, or mention their 'band' that is like a MILLION TIMES BETTER than this 'pop crap they play on the radio'.

Back then, as the internet was catching on - all these indie music types started talking about the end of big record labels. Soon it would be cheap and easy for ANYONE to record commercial quality music and distribute it all over the world - instantly. No more selling out to get played on radio stations that were run by fat cat corporation types.

Only, the internet got more and more popular, everything got cheaper and cheaper. And what happened?

We have the exact same crappy mainstream music. It's just now everyone steals it! It's too crappy to pay for, but not too crappy to download? :)

I love it.

And all of the sold out concerts for independent bands who distribute via the internet? LoLz - never happened.

People also used to say they'd *totally* pay for music online - if only it were an option. No seriously, people used to argue that all the time. 'I'm not going to buy a whole CD, I just want this one song, but I can't get it - so I download'.

Now, of course, there are tons of music stores and you could buy anything you want. But people would still rather just pirate. So they do. At least they are running out of excuses....

Unsurprisingly, people who see no problem in stealing as long as they can contrive a justification whereby it's everyone else fault but theirs are amazingly full of shit.

Who knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

fouga wrote: »
    that makes no sense at all, completely different context and makes you look like an idiot. How about you read the posts before this one before making any more comments.
    I love how people are comparing downloading music to stealing cars and robbing shops. Do you have any idea what your talking about, I mean seriously do you????
    a lot more then you considering you've stated you have little interest in music.

a lot more then you considering you've stated you have little interest in music.

little interest = Dont go searching for bands or artists that have unique styles of music or are just not popular and not in the mainstream media etc.... I just listen to whatever is on the radio and if I like the song I will get the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I get all the music I could possibly want from X-Factor and Somewhere's Got Talent. It's an endless source of golden classics! Just put your cassette recorder in front of your telly and press the appropriate button(s) - directions in previous posts. You can even record the gems of philisophical wisdom from the judges. You won't get that from your fancy istore.
    And to think I used to worry about the world running out of singers. Now, where's that C60 of SuBo?

BrensBenz wrote: »
    I get all the music I could possibly want from X-Factor and Somewhere's Got Talent. It's an endless source of golden classics! Just put your cassette recorder in front of your telly and press the appropriate button(s) - directions in previous posts. You can even record the gems of philisophical wisdom from the judges. You won't get that from your fancy istore.
    And to think I used to worry about the world running out of singers. Now, where's that C60 of SuBo?

yeah that stuff is priceless......there songs you will never get out of your head:D:D (NOT)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Frostwire? Is that like Limewire? I think I had that years ago and anytime I used it it made my computer impossible to use and eventually crashed it. That was back in 2004 though when I had a piece of crap computer.

I remember people used to think if they used the paid versions of these P2P programs they could download music and it would be legal. That's a false assumption as all they were paying for was a spyware free version of the program. The money was going to the program manufacturers and not the record companies, so downloading copyrighted music was still illegal.

I don't know why anyone would still use these spyware infested P2P programs when they could download torrents.

As for whether I would pay to download something; no way. I still prefer CDs and records. The only reason I can see for downloading music is either because you're getting it for free or because it's not available on CD. The only things I download are things like bootleg concert recordings that aren't commercially available or albums that have never been available on CD. I've never downloaded an album that's readily available, but if I was going to it would be to save money.

I saw a CD advertised on Amazon recently. For some reason the MP3 version was more expensive than the CD. Why anyone would pay more money to get less (no CD, no booklet with liner notes or credits) is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Unsurprisingly, people who see no problem in stealing as long as they can contrive a justification whereby it's everyone else fault but theirs are amazingly full of shit.

Who knew?

There's an album in my collection that I've bought 3 times on cd and I also own it on vinyl (€25 :eek:). I reckon I've paid about €65 altogether for it.

Last week I "illegally" downloaded it. Am I a thief?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I tend to download most music illegally if I can't afford the CD or record... especially if it's only on vinyl, because unless it's bad quality second-hand, is really expensive. If the record is anyway decent, even second hand might be 30 quid. But I will pay for downloads for bands that I have no way of getting a physical copy without ordering online, or in some cases not at all. I have paid for downloads of Lupen Crook, Philip Boa & the Voodooclub, some EPs that didn't have physical copies. I don't like stealing from bands like that, particularly Lupen Crook.

I tend to download most music illegally if I can't afford the CD or record... especially if it's only on vinyl, because unless it's bad quality second-hand, is really expensive. If the record is anyway decent, even second hand might be 30 quid. But I will pay for downloads for bands that I have no way of getting a physical copy without ordering online, or in some cases not at all. I have paid for downloads of Lupen Crook, Philip Boa & the Voodooclub, some EPs that didn't have physical copies. I don't like stealing from bands like that, particularly Lupen Crook.

Actually a lot of the time original (second hand) vinyl is likely to be more expensive than reissues of stuff as collectors prefer original copies, even poorer quality ones so that pushes the price up. Vintage vinyl, even just from the 90s has definitely got more expensive the past while. For new (just released/reissue) stuff check out Amazon & Ebay, you should be able to find most stuff for <€20 if you look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I think people should pay for music, though more of it should go to the artist. The record companies had it their way for so long they dont want to change but they should not be cut out completely.

A better way needs to be established and some people saying they would never pay for it kinda pisses me off.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Actually a lot of the time original (second hand) vinyl is likely to be more expensive than reissues of stuff as collectors prefer original copies, even poorer quality ones so that pushes the price up. Vintage vinyl, even just from the 90s has definitely got more expensive the past while. For new (just released/reissue) stuff check out Amazon & Ebay, you should be able to find most stuff for <€20 if you look around.

Nothing beats an original pressing. A vinyl reissue is just that - a reissue.
    Some of them are of questionable fidelity - e.g. Scott Walker.
    Far better to hang out for an OG.

1990s LPs (particularly those from 1993 - 1999) are rising in price because they sold so few at the time. Particularly those on major labels. I remember the quantities that used to trickle into Dublin shops at the time. In some cases only one copy of a major label LP would arrive in. More often that not I was on hand to snap it up as I hit the shops every week without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I think people should pay for music, though more of it should go to the artist. The record companies had it their way for so long they dont want to change but they should not be cut out completely.

A better way needs to be established and some people saying they would never pay for it kinda pisses me off.

Some artists don't know the value of money, fcuk them.

Nothing beats an original pressing. A vinyl reissue is just that - a reissue.
    Some of them are of questionable fidelity - e.g. Scott Walker.
    Far better to hang out for an OG.

Yeah, love my original stuff. Fantastic listening to Led Zep, Who, etc on pressings from back in the day. That said, for rarer stuff the quality of reissues can be pretty damn good if you don't have the cash to splash out on that vintage copy. I've been pretty impressed with Sundazed & ORG reissues I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Some artists don't know the value of money, fcuk them.

Yeah, that is the exception but not the rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I did once in an attempt to get an up and coming artist into the charts with a charity song.
    I also bought a few CDs because I liked the band and they needed the money to keep playing.

Advertisement