Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padding missing on Wach,s glove

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Disappointed to see this. I thought Wach did a good job against Wlad. That is a punk move.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That chap could have had a shotgun in the ring and he still would have lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

walshb wrote: »
    That chap could have had a shotgun in the ring and he still would have lost.

Yeah it would be tough to fire with the gloves on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

That's a disgrace, worse than what Margarito's team done.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

cowzerp wrote: »

It's pretty different IMO.

1. Margarito or his team actually put plaster in his wraps.
    2. It's not known whether the glove was naturally defective or Wach's team tinkered with it. So it's hard to lay blame anywhere.

But if it was intentional, yes it was a disgusting act of attempted barbarism.

• Advertisement

Exactly, some posters on here seem very forgiving. The same people who slated Margarito.

The padding didn't remove itself and Wachs team should have noticed the glove before Vitali entered the room

It's pretty different IMO.

1. Margarito or his team actually put plaster in his wraps.

Plaster covered by padding, which the main advantage would be protection of hands, In this scenario the padding is almost gone and that is worse as it would be the protection for the face gone.

Plaster covered by padding, which the main advantage would be protection of hands, In this scenario the padding is almost gone and that is worse as it would be the protection for the face gone.

So Margarito used plaster to protect his hands? Notsheriffsrs

So Margarito used plaster to protect his hands? Notsheriffsrs

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying with less risk to your hands you can throw with less worry and go harder without concern, even with bad technique.

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying with less risk to your hands you can throw with less worry and go harder without concern, even with bad technique.

Only fighters with bad hands need to worry about punching too hard causing hand injuries. The plaster was there to do damage. When you injure your hand punching someone its not because you hit too hard but the angle of your hand at the time of impact.

As I'm sure you know the human head is quite a forgiving target, you're far more likely to hurt your hand on a punching bag than on someone's jaw.

• Advertisement

No matter how good your technique is the more force you exert you will likely leave a chance that you can damage your hands. They are not made of steel. Many heavy hitters experienced issues with sore and damaged hands. And, it wasn't just down to technique and delivery.

Only fighters with bad hands need to worry about punching too hard causing hand injuries. The plaster was there to do damage. When you injure your hand punching someone its not because you hit too hard but the angle of your hand at the time of impact.

As I'm sure you know the human head is quite a forgiving target, you're far more likely to hurt your hand on a punching bag than on someone's jaw.

Bad hands in most cases is due to bad technique, hence why i said the plaster paris will allow for bad technique while still delivering solid blows, you basically agreed with me but made it look like a disagreement!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

No matter how good your technique is the more force you exert you will likely leave a chance that you can damage your hands. They are not made of steel. Many heavy hitters experienced issues with sore and damaged hands. And, it wasn't just down to technique and delivery.
    i.e. calzaghe

endswell wrote: »
    i.e. calzaghe

Not sure Calzaghe was a naturally heavy hitter. Watching him even as an amateur his technique wasn't all that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

Not sure Calzaghe was a naturally heavy hitter. Watching him even as an amateur his technique wasn't all that good.
    i was always under impression that he started out as heavy hitter but due to recurring injuries as a result of this had change his style of boxing to allow him to punch with less force. dont think im mixing him up, maybe tho

endswell wrote: »
    i was always under impression that he started out as heavy hitter but due to recurring injuries as a result of this had change his style of boxing to allow him to punch with less force. dont think im mixing him up, maybe tho

He has badly damaged his left hand a few times. Couple of breaks too. He did hit more direct at the beginning and did indeed alter this style to protect the hands. That alter led to him being labeled a slapper, which was quite apt. Good hitter in the amateurs, but nothing spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

This Margarito 'plaster' thing must be one of the biggest myths in boxing. There never was any 'plaster'. Gabriel Montoya who was one of the only boxing journalists who bothered his arse to cover the hearing described it as follows:
    The handwraps were basically made to hide the inserts. The insert was about the size of a long business card. And about as stiff. It was not the rock or steel people make it out to be. It looked like a dirty, folded or ironed piece of old gauze. The knuckle pad was wrapped around it so unless you really got in there to inspect it, you wouldn't see it.

The whole plaster of paris thing was a complete and utter fabrication. What Margarito's trainer did was illegal, but it was not the fantastical tale of criminality which became the narrative. If it was there would have been a courtcase, or at the very least the supposed 'blocks' might actually be in existence somewhere.

Henno30 wrote: »
    This Margarito 'plaster' thing must be one of the biggest myths in boxing. There never was any 'plaster'. Gabriel Montoya who was one of the only boxing journalists who bothered his arse to cover the hearing described it as follows:

The whole plaster of paris thing was a complete and utter fabrication. What Margarito's trainer did was illegal, but it was not the fantastical tale of criminality which became the narrative. If it was there would have been a courtcase, or at the very least the supposed 'blocks' might actually be in existence somewhere.

Your information is incorrect. From wikipedia:

"The California Department of Justice laboratory later confirmed the substance to be similar in nature to plaster of Paris."

Your information is incorrect. From wikipedia:

"The California Department of Justice laboratory later confirmed the substance to be similar in nature to plaster of Paris."

Check the cited article on wikipedia for that claim. I did, and there's no mention of it whatsoever in the actual article. That's why you don't cite wikipedia.

The original claim comes from a lab report that stated trace elements of calcium and sulphur were found. Trace elements, which could just as easily have come from Margarito's hand lotion.

If there was plaster of paris in the pads, why the hell hadn't it set by the time of hearing several weeks later?

Again, the pads were illegal, but the story seems to have been blown out of proportion by the media thanks to Nazim's hyperbolic version of events.

Check the cited article on wikipedia for that claim. I did, and there's no mention of it whatsoever in the actual article. That's why you don't cite wikipedia.

The original claim comes from a lab report that stated trace elements of calcium and sulphur were found. Trace elements, which could just as easily have come from Margarito's hand lotion.

If there was plaster of paris in the pads, why the hell hadn't it set by the time of hearing several weeks later?

Again, the pads were illegal, but the story seems to have been blown out of proportion by the media thanks to Nazim's hyperbolic version of events.

1.A plaster-like substance was found in his gloves.
    2. Traces of calcium and sulphur (the ingredients of plaster of paris) were found on chemical analysis.

Looks pretty conclusive to me.

• Advertisement

1.A plaster-like substance was found in his gloves.
    2. Traces of calcium and sulphur (the ingredients of plaster of paris) were found on chemical analysis.

Looks pretty conclusive to me.

Where's the evidence that a plaster-like substance was found?

The LA Times article is the only one I've seen that cites the lab report, and all that says is that there were trace elements of calcium and sulphur. You might find trace elements of calcium and sulphur in your breakfast.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3897765

Another inspector, Mike Bray, said during questioning that he had seen the pads and that they were "moist and dirty looking with a white substance smeared across the pad, like a cast plaster."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is a real scumbag thing to do, whats worse is you can hear them say "no its fine, the glove is good etc", so they were trying for him to use the padless glove.

Ban this dirt.

Plaster of paris is made from gauze if I remember correctly. So both accounts have some truth.

Tony is a modern day Jesus. Crucified for the sins and ignorance of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

If the item in Tony's wraps was of no benefit, why would they add it when wrapping his hands then deny knowlege of it when it was found?

As for Wach, if this was found to be deliberate he should face a very long/lifetime ban.

Fighters should be made inspect their gloves first and if a serious "defect" is found on later inspectection then they should suffer a serious ban for ignoring it during their own check. This will wipe out these cases of tampering with their own gloves and pretending they didn't notice the problem

colly10 wrote: »
    If the item in Tony's wraps was of no benefit, why would they add it when wrapping his hands then deny knowlege of it when it was found?

Who said it was of no benefit?

Having your hands extra protected where you can swing like a mad thing with full force with less chance of injury is certainly an advantage to a fighter

I still maintain removing the padding from the glove which is the most important protection is worse.

Who said it was of no benefit?

Having your hands extra protected where you can swing like a mad thing with full force with less chance of injury is certainly an advantage to a fighter

I still maintain removing the padding from the glove which is the most important protection is worse.

Nazim said in an interview that the only thing he was slightly suspicious about coming into the fight was exactly what you're referring to, it didn't matter if Margarito was hitting Cotto's elbows or the top of his head in that first fight, it just didn't seem to affect him.

He also said though that he was more interested in Margarito's jaw than his hands, because Cotto hit him with everything in the book and he just walked through it. That was the story of that fight for me. Cotto thought he coould trade with Tony and he was very wrong. Had he fought the first fight the way he fought the second then he probably would have won it.

He also said though that he was more interested in Margarito's jaw than his hands, because Cotto hit him with everything in the book and he just walked through it. That was the story of that fight for me. Cotto thought he coould trade with Tony and he was very wrong. Had he fought the first fight the way he fought the second then he probably would have won it.

Thing is that Cotto was never a destructive hitter. Steady hitter. Mosely showed that Margarito's chin wasn't unhuman.

Personally I don't think Margarito's "wraps" were the reason he beat Cotto.

• Advertisement

Thing is that Cotto was never a destructive hitter. Steady hitter. Mosely showed that Margarito's chin wasn't unhuman.

Personally I don't think Margarito's "wraps" were the reason he beat Cotto.

You gotta be kidding. Cotto was beat up until he could take no more. Watch the last round again, Margairtio is not that strong. You could see the damage his shots were having.

Advertisement