Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There will never be women priests

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

newmug wrote: »
    Catholicism is the Cornflakes of Christianity, the original and best. We stick to the rules no matter what sh1t is thrown at us.

So tell me, what happened to the use of Latin during Mass? Do unbaptised babies still go to Purgatory when they die? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

When Sinead was doing her thing, I was nearly becoming a Sineadian, truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

The RCC does not presently allow for women priests, but it has (for want of a better word) evolved in the past to suit more modern ideals, and the concept of discriminating based on gender may one day die. Not so long ago, all Masses were held in Latin, the world was flat, the sun revolved around the Earth, etc. Nowadays all of that is gone. Who's to say what state the RCC will be in the future.

You also need to say Roman Catholic, not just Catholic - the Anglican church is also Catholic, and they allow women (and married) priests.

Roman is usually used to stress their foreigness. they have the pope as head of the church as opposed to the queen. anglicans are catholic?

So tell me, what happened to the use of Latin during Mass? Do unbaptised babies still go to Purgatory when they die? :pac:

you can still get the Latin mass.the concept of purgatory is no longer enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Fuinseog wrote: »
    anglicans are catholic?

Yes. It includes the same creed (the Apostles/Nicene creed) that includes the words
    We believe...In one holy catholic and apostolic Church...

Wikipedia has more details on it than I have. Essentially, there are two divisions of Anglicanism - Catholics and Evangelists. The Catholics have very similar views to the RCC (e.g. in some churches right down to using wafer instead of bread, the burning of incense, genuflecting etc.), the Evangalists are closer to the traditional Protestant viewpoints.

The head of the RCC is the pope, but there is no "head of the Anglican church" - each country has its own head (e.g. in Ireland, it's the Primate (the Archbishop of Armagh), in the England it's the Queen). Though, I guess their 'god' is the "real" head in both cases.

• Advertisement

geetar wrote: »
    you dont know what happened at all do you? norris has explained his thoughts and opinions numerous times, very clearly.

dont for a minute try and shift this discussion of child abuse in the church to a man defending someone else in a consensual relationship. ~

also your source is absolute drivel, its a blog ffs. the quotes are extremely out of context, if they are infact quotes at all

there are so many Norris apologists around it is sickening and they are the same people who will condemn the catholic church for child abuse.
    had people queried saville in the eighties they would have been crushed. criticise norris and you are a homophobe.

Norris is gay. wow. who cares?

Norris defends child rapists- cue all manner of excuses from his apologists.
    politicians like Bobby Molloy resigned over something similar but Norris will just grin.

Norris defends Cathal O Searcaigh- media will forget it.

Norris wants to set up a network for paedophile in the eighties. less well known.

I have watched every Norris interview. he is very briefly pressed on his attitudes towards paedophila. he is usually coached on what not to say beforehand. Martin McGuinnes and his IRA involvement is a different matter and interviewers go all out there. I am sure his autobiograghy has been careful aswell in case hr reveal shis true self.

as I said this matter was debated extensively on boards during the presidential election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

you can still get the Latin mass.the concept of purgatory is no longer enforced.

I think you're both referring to Limbo.
    I believe Purgatory's on a different floor near the haberdashery section.
    Don't know whether you can still purchase 'indulgences' in order to buy yourself out before you enter, so to speak.
    A bit like buying 'cloud space' I suppose.

9959 wrote: »
    Don't know whether you can still purchase 'indulgences' in order to buy yourself out before you enter, so to speak.

the problem I have with critics of the catholic church for which there is a massive bandwagon to jump on at the moment, is that they tend to have respect for no one and nothing. they are also usually the type of person to sit on their holes and criticise but do nothing themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

the problem I have with critics of the catholic church for which there is a massive bandwagon to jump on at the moment, is that they tend to have respect for no one and nothing. they are also usually the type of person to sit on their holes and criticise but do nothing themselves.

Do they also make sweeping statements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

9959 wrote: »

Love it!
    I gotta get me some of this cloud space!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I believe you'll find that in ireland at least, most of us left the church. That's something isn't it. We also try to point out how stupid it is. That's another thing we do.

I'm not sure what else you want us to do? Start bombing churches?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yes. It includes the same creed (the Apostles/Nicene creed) that includes the words

Wikipedia has more details on it than I have. Essentially, there are two divisions of Anglicanism - Catholics and Evangelists. The Catholics have very similar views to the RCC (e.g. in some churches right down to using wafer instead of bread, the burning of incense, genuflecting etc.), the Evangalists are closer to the traditional Protestant viewpoints.

The head of the RCC is the pope, but there is no "head of the Anglican church" - each country has its own head (e.g. in Ireland, it's the Primate (the Archbishop of Armagh), in the England it's the Queen). Though, I guess their 'god' is the "real" head in both cases.

Most catholics would disagree. The word is used to describe all churches in contact with the holy see. That's the eastern orthodox and western (Roman) catholics.

Anglicans are more commonly refered to as godless heathens. Or were before Vatican II. Now they're strayed brothers. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Grayson wrote: »
    Most catholics would disagree. The word is used to describe all churches in contact with the holy see. That's the eastern orthodox and western (Roman) catholics.

Anglicans are more commonly refered to as godless heathens. Or were before Vatican II. Now they're strayed brothers. :)

Typical - women ignored by the RCC again.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Grayson wrote: »

then there is the old catholics,one of the various breakaway groups from roman catholicism,like the church of utrecht who left rome in 1724 after accusations of jansenism,and others who rejected the proclamation of papal infalliblity,the old catholic clergy are not celibate.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

thats good news, hopefully soon there won't be any men priests either

Advertisement