Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There will never be women priests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

Please dont take what Senator Norris out of context here, god knows the poor man was dragged through the mud enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Big Bottom wrote: »
    Please dont take what Senator Norris out of context here, god knows the poor man was dragged through the mud enough.

he is the darling of the media, just like saville was.

norris has a dark side which we are happy to gloss over and he will rarely be pressed to explain himself. I suppose his saving grace is that he only supports paedophiles but does not engage in such activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

alphabeat wrote: »

There will "never be women priests" until there are women priests.

The first stage of a u-turn is to deny there will be a u-turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Fuinseog wrote: »

norris has a dark side which we are happy to gloss over and he will rarely be pressed to explain himself. I suppose his saving grace is that he only supports paedophiles but does not engage in such activities.

What dark side?
    When did Norris say that he supports paedophiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Eramen wrote: »
    I have always disliked such utopianistic mindsets, it always leads to conjuring up the non-existent and sucks people into a well of illusions; shadows on the wall!

To be fair, judeo-christian religions are pretty utopian in their mindset. They are all for bringing about the kingdom of god here on earth. And their kingdom isn't that great.

Does anyone else think the arguments against women priests so far sound a bit like the chewbacca defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

There will never be women priests.

There will never be male nuns.

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

well, my work here is done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

9959 wrote: »
    What dark side?
    When did Norris say that he supports paedophiles?

threads on him are around boards. his heinous views are being glossed over and supressed just like it was taboo in the eighties to even imply a priest was 'strange'.

http://www.sceala.com/phpBB2/irish-forums-25481.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

the Catholic Church does not allow women priests. if you do not like it become a Protestant but you might have to follow rules there as well. why can we not have a pick and mix religion.

The RCC does not presently allow for women priests, but it has (for want of a better word) evolved in the past to suit more modern ideals, and the concept of discriminating based on gender may one day die. Not so long ago, all Masses were held in Latin, the world was flat, the sun revolved around the Earth, etc. Nowadays all of that is gone. Who's to say what state the RCC will be in the future.

You also need to say Roman Catholic, not just Catholic - the Anglican church is also Catholic, and they allow women (and married) priests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

What Norris said was: he can understand an underage boy feeling attracted to an older man and embarking on a happy relationship with him, because he had those feelings as a teenage boy. I don't see anything all together dreadful about that, seeing as be didn't say he can understand how a man would seduce a boy, and the scenario he describes does happen (although it's not right - and could mess up the boy years later) but yes, if a priest said that be would be crucified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

syklops wrote: »
    Being a priest would be a dream job for many women.

• Get paid to speak at length on whatever subject fascinates you at the time
    • free dress
    • Communal wafers are very slimming
    • Often being the centre of attention
    • Get invited to all the parties, stations of the cross, weddings, funerals etc
    • Free house
    • Errrr....

And free wine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Madam_X wrote: »
    if a priest said that be would be crucified.

But I thought they want to live like Jesus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Dartz wrote: »
    There will never be women priests.

There will never be male nuns.

So?

Yes there are, they're called monks (or brothers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

alphabeat wrote: »
    he he 'Dr Brown ' says so .

Great scott!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

threads on him are around boards. his heinous views are being glossed over and supressed just like it was taboo in the eighties to even imply a priest was 'strange'.

http://www.sceala.com/phpBB2/irish-forums-25481.html

you dont know what happened at all do you? norris has explained his thoughts and opinions numerous times, very clearly.

dont for a minute try and shift this discussion of child abuse in the church to a man defending someone else in a consensual relationship. ~

also your source is absolute drivel, its a blog ffs. the quotes are extremely out of context, if they are infact quotes at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Feck sake! I'll regret having anything to do with this stupid thread. I'm a practicing Catholic.

Solair wrote: »
    The reality of life is that women have and expect equal rights and equal opportunities. That is not the reality in the Catholic Church at present.

So, all the church is doing is pushing itself further and further away from the normal people who are the very same normal people who donate all the money that pays all of their bills and their wages!

To me it just screams "OUT OF TOUCH".

It's a bit like the captain of the titanic spending all his time worrying about having female sailors while there's a gaping hole in the side of the vessel.

Let me scream back - "WE DONT CARE".

Our boss, you may have heard of him, he goes by the name of Jesus Christ, said a few things when he was roofing houses 2000 years ago. Things like, you have a soul, and there's a Heaven and a hell, stuff like that. He said to look after your soul, and make sure you get yourself into Heaven. If you try to spread the word to others, but they dont want to listen, TOUGH!

So to people who try to incinuate that "Ooh, the Church will disappear!!!", you are missing the point. If it does, it does, makes zero difference to my soul. I'll be in Heaven with the almighty Jesus Christ, you wont. I wish you'd relent though, being in Heaven is going to be brilliant. But for you to go around applying YOUR logic to the situation, and then wondering why the church doesn't respond the way YOU would, is like ordering food off a McDonalds menu in Swahili, and then wondering why the waiter doesn't have a clue what you're on about.

There will never be women priests, because J. Christ said there shouldn't be. We Catholics, recognise Jesus as the very first Catholic. Numero Uno. Catholicism is pure, original Christianity. All other "versions" of Christianity are not the real deal, they have their own little pick-and-mix things going on around Jesus's teachings, so by default they're acting non-Christianly. Sorry if that offends anyone on here, I dont wish to offend, I'm just putting across the Catholic point of view. (Just to add to that, Catholics can also act non-Christianly, and those who do will pay the price!).

We follow Jesus's teachings to the letter. Therefore, if He said it, then thats it. He told the married apostles to leave their families, hence why priests have to be unmarried, he said sex for any other reason than reproduction is a sin, hence the opposition to condoms etc. This will NEVER change. I'm simplifying all this big time, but I just want to convey how little of a sh1t your average Catholic gives about non-Catholic people's opinions on numbers attending mass. Its not as if you have to pay in at the door! Our main objective is getting our souls to be in Heaven with God for ever. End of.

He also said love thy neighbour, which you clearly don't.

Catholicism today is extremely pick n mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

Tell me, from personal experience which one isn't?

I dont love my neighbour Madam X? Who are you to determine who I love and who I dont? You dont know who I am, where I'm from, what I do, or WHO I LOVE! Clearly:rolleyes:

Catholicism is the Cornflakes of Christianity, the original and best. We stick to the rules no matter what sh1t is thrown at us. Like Jesus, we will probably come off the worst for it in this life, but then going by what Jesus Christ said, this life is not the important, permanent one, is it? And for you to regurgitate a line from my post and try to feed it back to me just exposes your inferiority complex through your arguemenmt.

Going by stuff you posted - for instance I don't think Christ would approve of your cruelty to animals.

• Advertisement

Going by stuff you posted - for instance I don't think Christ would approve of your cruelty to animals.

Which commandment deals with that?

Should there be one? Christ was a lot more liberal than hardline conservative, homophobic "Christians" who believe women who are raped ask for it. and the figure he was depicted as would be disgusted by cruelty to animals.

What a joke - "I'll have horrible judgmental views all I like but as long as I follow the commandments I'll go to heaven". Doesnt work like that, going by what I learned; being a good, conpassionate person would be the main requirement.

No inferiority complex here btw.

Should there be one? Christ was a lot more liberal than hardline conservative, homophobic "Christians" who believe women who are raped ask for it. and the figure he was depicted as would be disgusted by cruelty to animals.

What a joke - "I'll have horrible judgmental views all I like but as long as I follow the commandments I'll go to heaven". Doesnt work like that, going by what I learned; being a good, conpassionate person would be the main requirement.

No there shouldn't be, there's plenty of references in the Bible to killing animals.

But there IS one about "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour"!!! Let that sink in before you accuse anyone else of anything, judging by their post history.

And as I pointed out in my first post, those "Christians" who go around behaving at odds with Christs teachings, are, in fact, NOT Christians! That whole God hates Fags and women ask to be raped bull, they dont represent Jesus, or me. None of that is mentioned in the Bible, and Jesus definately never said women deserve to be raped. So before you go tarring everyone with the same brush again, turn on the hypocricy meter, read and take stock of other peoples posts and points of view, and you just might find that the best reply is none at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

newmug wrote: »
    Feck sake! I'll regret having anything to do with this stupid thread. I'm a practicing Catholic.

Thats a nice one...dont remember Jesus coming out with "WE DONT CARE"
    Our boss, you may have heard of him, he goes by the name of Jesus Christ, said a few things when he was roofing houses 2000 years ago. Things like, you have a soul, and there's a Heaven and a hell, stuff like that. He said to look after your soul, and make sure you get yourself into Heaven. If you try to spread the word to others, but they dont want to listen, TOUGH!

No definitly never came across JC shouting "TOUGH" at any of his gatherings as far as I remember he was fairly inclusive of just about anyone no matter what they were getting up to...
    So to people who try to incinuate that "Ooh, the Church will disappear!!!", you are missing the point. If it does, it does, makes zero difference to my soul. I'll be in Heaven with the almighty Jesus Christ, you wont. I wish you'd relent though, being in Heaven is going to be brilliant. But for you to go around applying YOUR logic to the situation, and then wondering why the church doesn't respond the way YOU would, is like ordering food off a McDonalds menu in Swahili, and then wondering why the waiter doesn't have a clue what you're on about.

You are very sure of yourself there NM & You are very certain of your place in "heaven"....its not so much that the RCC is McDonalds (nice analogy though - I hate McDonalds!) it is a bit more like a bus full of individuals convinced that they are on the right road ignoring the large flashing roadsign warning of the end of the road with a deep canyon straight ahead. Christianity was the spread and adoption of the beliefs and sayings of JC. The RCC came about much later AFTER the alleged death of himself. I bet he himself would have something to say about the immense wealth held by the vatican in his name - I keep on thinking of that scene in the temple....:rolleyes:
    There will never be women priests, because J. Christ said there shouldn't be. We Catholics, recognise Jesus as the very first Catholic. Numero Uno. Catholicism is pure, original Christianity. All other "versions" of Christianity are not the real deal, they have their own little pick-and-mix things going on around Jesus's teachings, so by default they're acting non-Christianly. Sorry if that offends anyone on here, I dont wish to offend, I'm just putting across the Catholic point of view. (Just to add to that, Catholics can also act non-Christianly, and those who do will pay the price!).

Absolute tripe fest I'm afraid. JC didnt have any "priests" (They were invented later btw) and if you read carefully there were woman amongst JCs followers who got airbrushed out during the middle ages because it did not suit a misogynist RCC to have them there - so they got made into the usual whores, mothers etc. Nice! The early gospels were picked and chosen and edited by the RCC as they saw fit - so hardly not a pick and mix system...

There are a couple of other branches of early christians who would argue that RC is not the "pure, original christianity" at all at all. Its just that the early RC church managed to get its power base in first following the alleged crucification of JC etc. One BIG thing you do have with other fundementalist religions however is claiming that YOU are right and every one else is dammed.
    We follow Jesus's teachings to the letter. Therefore, if He said it, then thats it. He told the married apostles to leave their families, hence why priests have to be unmarried, he said sex for any other reason than reproduction is a sin, hence the opposition to condoms etc. This will NEVER change. I'm simplifying all this big time, but I just want to convey how little of a sh1t your average Catholic gives about non-Catholic people's opinions on numbers attending mass. Its not as if you have to pay in at the door! Our main objective is getting our souls to be in Heaven with God for ever. End of.

Ye do! :rolleyes:. Well holey god, which exact letter is that? Apostles do not a priest make btw. AND there were no Condoms in Judea btw so he couldnt have made any pronouncements about them - just the way he didn't mahe any pronouncements about the internal combustion engiene either (though there are some christians who dont believe these should be used either !

Best of luck with that soul thing with tickets ye have got going for you - sounds like an interesting gig - not my style though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

We follow Jesus's teachings to the letter. Therefore, if He said it, then thats it. He told the married apostles to leave their families, hence why priests have to be unmarried, he said sex for any other reason than reproduction is a sin, hence the opposition to condoms etc. This will NEVER change. I'm simplifying all this big time, but I just want to convey how little of a sh1t your average Catholic gives about non-Catholic people's opinions on numbers attending mass. Its not as if you have to pay in at the door! Our main objective is getting our souls to be in Heaven with G
    od for ever. End of.

You're forgetting that what JC actually said and what was proposed he said are completely different. If you believe the bible is the word of JC or God or any of the people that wrote that "book" you are mistaken. For to take anyone's word in context or to try and decipher their meaning from just reading alone is "hard" ( for want of a better word).

We're getting way off topic. Bottom line, the Catholic Church will not be introducing women priests ever, because Jesus said so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

We're getting way off topic. Bottom line, the Catholic Church will not be introducing women priests ever, because Jesus said so.

You've got the quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Oh no he didn't ... as pointed out above Apostles DO NOT equal priests AND more importantly THE RCC church was invented after JC was (allegedly) crucified

The RCC invented the role of priest as part of their organised religion and were quite happy to have married priests etc at least up the middle ages

Then they went all a bit funny and started burning women...nice bunch!

Hey guess what we are now in the 21st Century!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Just because JC said so doesn't make it "So". There is no way off topic when your talking to Christians, they just have this unfathomable belief in a book which is over 2000 years old and they feel that they're going to let their mother down by not believing in it.

Start thinking for yourself, research why we as humans we have religion and then you may be on your way to understanding who this JC or God or any of them are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

[citation needed]

Advertisement