Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There will never be women priests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Great input there OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Im in favour of them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Would there even be any women that would want to :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Because male priests have had a clean record so far.......

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

That would be an ecumenical matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

What about Fr. Sinead O'Connor?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, in a few years when the number of priests decrease so much and there are priests serving different parishes on different weekends, then we'll start to see women priests, married priests, gay priests, dog priests, atheist priests etc.

Ah who am I kidding, the church will never change anything. To change one thing is to invite calls to change other things. The church would rather die out than compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jester77 wrote: »
    Thousands of them.

Women are carrying the Catholic church. If it wasn't for mammies and grannies guilting their children into going to mass, the catholic church would have disappeared in ireland 30 years ago.

I say more of this sort of thing. Eventually educated women will come to their senses and stop supporting a religion which defines them as second-class citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Lets do away with priests, cardinals bishops popes and religion all together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah, in a few years when the number of priests decrease so much and there are priests serving different parishes on different weekends, then we'll start to see women priests, married priests, gay priests, dog priests, atheist priests etc.

Ah who am I kidding, the church will never change anything. To change one thing is to invite calls to change other things. The church would rather die out than compromise.

I for one would like to see this.

Fr. Fido, Parish priest for Ballygobackwards

"Aah how's it going father. How you feelin'?"

"Woof"

"Aah were you on a mad session last night were ya?"

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Meh , their club - their rules. Don't see why any of the atheist church bashers in here would feel like they should have any opinion or input on the matter. Except of course to use it as another stick to hit the church with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

there will never be Catholic women priests

FYP OP.

Except of course to use it as another stick to hit the church with.

Because the church has never hit anyone on here with a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its their loss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Ottway

Trick question / statement as they'll be Priestesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

syklops wrote: »

Unless of course you attended a Christian Brothers school

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

The sermons are already long enough.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Meh , their club - their rules. Don't see why any of the atheist church bashers in here would feel like they should have any opinion or input on the matter. Except of course to use it as another stick to hit the church with.

Well the church have used enough sticks to beat helpless children for years so at least ours are just metaphorical sticks.

Oh did the priest beat you at school ? Sure no secular teacher ever issued corporal punishment back in the day don't ye know. Cry me a river.

Oh did the priest beat you at school ? Sure no secular teacher ever issued corporal punishment back in the day don't ye know. Cry me a river.

I didnt get beaten, but I know plenty who were and worse.

Your lack of empathy might have surprised me years ago, but having heard over the weekend that according to Benedict Groeschel, Reverend of the Franciscan Friars of Renewal, when speaking about the churches involvement in alleged abuse, that it was often the case that priests were seduced by teenagers., your contempt for anyone who appears against the church no longer surprises me.

• Advertisement

I am agnostic, non catholic, non mass goer so my "lack of empathy" is due to the unbalanced and lazy approach to commenting on the church which is the norm today. When it was acceptable for teachers and clergy to beat kids, it was also normal for parents to beat kids. There is very little context given in any retrospective analysis of the church. It wasnt all laundies and songs for raggy boys but that view isnt too poplar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

I dont know if that is trolling or just highly insensitive, but either way it is supremely insensitive bearing in mind the thousands of Irish children tortured, beaten, and raped in establishments run by the RCC, not to mention all those killed in such places.
    Very very sad.

I am agnostic, non catholic, non mass goer so my "lack of empathy" is due to the unbalanced and lazy approach to commenting on the church which is the norm today. When it was acceptable for teachers and clergy to beat kids, it was also normal for parents to beat kids. There is very little context given in any retrospective analysis of the church. It wasnt all laundies and songs for raggy boys but that view isnt too poplar.

Speaking of a lazy approach to commenting, your previous comments make you come across as a church sympathiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

in before "papal nonce-io"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Some fair points - however it really was not necessary to word your post in such an unpleasant, provocative, hard-hearted way.

"Cry me a river" is a phrase to dismiss those whinging about trivial stuff, not something major like child abuse.
    Meh , their club - their rules. Don't see why any of the atheist church bashers in here would feel like they should have any opinion or input on the matter.
    Be nice if they could be consistent when it came to their rules. Yawn at "atheist" as a perjorative. The "openminded" atheist backlash can be a bit of a pain in the hole at times tbh. Ok, fair enough when it comes to the genuinely arrogant, condescending ones, but sometimes any atheist at all gets attacked in here simply for being atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Penn wrote: »
    The church would rather die out than compromise.

And far be it from me to stand in its way if that is what it wants to do.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jester77 wrote: »

Being a priest would be a dream job for many women.

• Get paid to speak at length on whatever subject fascinates you at the time
    • free dress
    • Communal wafers are very slimming
    • Often being the centre of attention
    • Get invited to all the parties, stations of the cross, weddings, funerals etc
    • Free house
    • Errrr....

Madam_X wrote: »
    Some fair points - however it really was not necessary to word your post in such an unpleasant, provocative, hard-hearted way.

"Cry me a river" is a phrase to dismiss those whinging about trivial stuff, not something major like child abuse.
    Ok maybe i was a little harsh. I condemn all atrocities against children by the church . But these atrocities were committed with pretty much full collusion of the state and GENERAL POPULATION.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 moose_shooter

Speaking of a lazy approach to commenting, your previous comments make you come across as a church sympathiser.

the above comment reads like an accusation against someone for being a nazi or communist sympathiser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's the lack of logic of male only celibate priests in the RCC that cracks me up...

You have to have goolies to become a priest BUT you are not allowed (ahem) to use them.....

Unless of course you are a peadophile and then the RCC will just deny everything and claim it was nothing to do with them....

Time the RCC took stock of itself and gave some thought to the denial of sexuality, depravity and outright sexism inherent in the organisation

It is of note that it was only in the Middle Ages that priests were forbidden to marry and the right of women to hold independent positions of responsibility within the church was completely removed.

This medieval mindset will not be changed until all these fckers are dead and buried imo....

Advertisement