Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lidl Car Stuff - Monday 19th November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A 3 tonne jack for €12.99, thats serious value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Thanks OP. Them bulb sets are great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah, I'd say the jack will go fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Jack and Axle stands on my shopping list and maybe the strap set too as the bungee cords ar ehandy without a recess for the spare

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Serious waste of good cake

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I see they have changed the trolly jack to a regular bottle jack. :(

I had a feeling a trolly jack for €13 was a bit cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

What's the bets that if I buy snow chains we will not see snow for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The oils are mixed up, pictures and prices don't match the descripitions. Anyway the 5w40 synthetic seems to be 4.99 for 1 litre. If that oil meets the Renault RN0710 standard then I'm laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

recyclebin wrote: »

BUY THEM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The windscreen protector is a must. I've used cut outs of cardboard before, but this can be stored away. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bazz26 wrote: »
    I see they have changed the trolly jack to a regular bottle jack. :(

I had a feeling a trolly jack for €13 was a bit cheap.

Yeah I was thinking the same myself, was tempted to buy another one at that price!

Might pick up the axle stands all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The oil images are misleading, but otherwise good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

How do you lift a car with a bottle jack? Are they not too high?

Also, in the photo on one of the pages is that a coolant tester the guy is using. Seems the link for that is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I would rate the bottle jack the same as the jack that comes with the car. I simply wouldn't trust it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Hal1 wrote: »
    I would rate the bottle jack the same as the jack that comes with the car. I simply wouldn't trust it.

Best not to trust any jack, they go up and they go down.
    Would always stick a wheel under the car or axle stands etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I've had a trolley jack that I got in Lidl years ago and it's been ok. They need to make a rubber pad for them though so the metal cup doesn't destroy whatever point you're jacking the car at. The bloody thing destroyed the sills on the Peugeot we had.

I'll never buy one again but I'm going to be investing in a proper trolley jack that garages use. Much handier, much more robust and just nicer to use along with a set of ramps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

recyclebin wrote: »
    Make sure to buy some so,:D you would be doing the country a great favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Lots of giving out about the axle stands when they were sold in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I still have a pair of the above axle stands but after having the car sitting on them for a couple of days the actual stand part has flattened so I think its time for a new pair, likewise the lidl trolley jack I have years has also seen better days so id love to get some new nice heavy duty gear too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

They need to make a rubber pad for them though so the metal cup doesn't destroy whatever point you're jacking the car at. The bloody thing destroyed the sills on the Peugeot we had.

If you jack the car at actual jacking points, and they're not made out of butter, there shouldn't be any real issue :p

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

Has anyone tried the cheap wax and polish before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Whats that antifreeze windscreen wash like? I used a similar one before and it was very streaky on the windscreen when you used it. Only used the normal stuff since.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you jack the car at actual jacking points, and they're not made out of butter, there shouldn't be any real issue :p

I did use it on my car and it chewed into the jacking block....smart ass :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The oils are mixed up, pictures and prices don't match the descripitions. Anyway the 5w40 synthetic seems to be 4.99 for 1 litre. If that oil meets the Renault RN0710 standard then I'm laughing.

How do you know if it does meet Renault standard , my 2.0 dci uses 7 litres a time , plus top ups...anyhow usually 80 euros each change...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Manufacturer standards compliance is listed on the (back) label of oils

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Markcheese wrote: »
    How do you know if it does meet Renault standard , my 2.0 dci uses 7 litres a time , plus top ups...anyhow usually 80 euros each change...
    Specs of the synthetic oil should be as follows (or better - this is from last year's thread:

API SM/CF,
    ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4,
    VW-Norm 502 00, 505 00
    Porsche
    MB 229.3
    BMW Longlife-98
    Opel GM–LL–B-025
    Renault RN 700, RN 710

It is good oil, imo.

Edit: Last post from same thread, with link to manufacturer's specs.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I look at all the stuff as trinkets.....won't be buying the oil though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Esel wrote: »
    Specs of the synthetic oil should be as follows (or better - this is from last year's thread:

API SM/CF,
    ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4,
    VW-Norm 502 00, 505 00
    Porsche
    MB 229.3
    BMW Longlife-98
    Opel GM–LL–B-025
    Renault RN 700, RN 710

It is good oil, imo.

Edit: Last post from same thread, with link to manufacturer's specs.
    How did you determine that the LIDL oil is PENNASOL SUPER PACE SAE 5W40.

If the LIDL oil and this PENNASOL oil are one and the same it seems strange that RN0710 is not mentioned on the LIDL bottle. Maybe it will be mentioned this time.

A big saving for me if this is the case. The cheapest RN0710 oil I've found is Halfords own brand which is ~39 quid for 5 litres with an AXA discount card or ~46 quid without the card. The cheapest RN0710 I've found in a motor factors is 52 quid for 5 litres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

BrianD3 wrote: »
    How did you determine that the LIDL oil is PENNASOL SUPER PACE SAE 5W40.

If the LIDL oil and this PENNASOL oil are one and the same it seems strange that RN0710 is not mentioned on the LIDL bottle. Maybe it will be mentioned this time.

A big saving for me if this is the case. The cheapest RN0710 oil I've found is Halfords own brand which is ~39 quid for 5 litres with an AXA discount card or ~46 quid without the card. The cheapest RN0710 I've found in a motor factors is 52 quid for 5 litres.
    See the 2010 thread (linked to in post #3 of last year's thread which I linked above). Sorry, can't do links easily on phone...

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement