Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use salt on your food?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

I would use a bit in the cooking process but you shouldn't need much of it if you're any good at cooking.

You'd be surprised how much salt is added to good meals in good restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I only put salt on chips and plain chicken, like a roast chicken sandwich.
    Classic and justified imho
    Same, fried eggs are unpleasant without salt.
    This is just weird..................but then again, the best tasting fried egg is in a bacon and egg sandwich
    I would use a bit in the cooking process but you shouldn't need much of it if you're any good at cooking.
    Some dishes need salt to be added before or during cooking or the flavours don't develop, other times it's better to lay off until the food is on peoples plates and they can choose themselves.
    IA pet hate is ignorant cünts who put salt on their meal without tasting it first.
    I cured a friend of that by serving saltfish, she didn't know what hit her:D.
    Ottway wrote: »
    A tiny bit of sea salt but I find if I squeeze a little Lemon Juice on most foods that you would add salt to traditionally, it works as a far better flavour enhancer.
    I did this for years and it is fantastic but then I moved to a very hot country where salt was genuinely needed as part of a healthy diet, it took me a long time to get back down to a more appropriate salt level for Irish conditions. lemon juice doesn't work on chips though:o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You'd be surprised how much salt is added to good meals in good restaurants.
    Oh yes i'm well aware that restaurants like to lash the salt and butter into dishes willy nilly ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cedrus wrote: »
    Classic and justified imho

This is just weird..................but then again, the best tasting fried egg is in a bacon and egg sandwich

Some dishes need salt to be added before or during cooking or the flavours don't develop, other times it's better to lay off until the food is on peoples plates and they can choose themselves.

I cured a friend of that by serving saltfish, she didn't know what hit her:D.

I did this for years and it is fantastic but then I moved to a very hot country where salt was genuinely needed as part of a healthy diet, it took me a long time to get back down to a more appropriate salt level for Irish conditions. lemon juice doesn't work on chips though:o
    Of course salt is needed, i'm not anti salt and i use salt when required

Oh yes i'm well aware that restaurants like to lash the salt and butter into dishes willy nilly ! :D

And they taste good. And they know what they're doing. So a lot of salt doesn't equal a lack of knowledge of cooking. If you cook with unprocessed ingredients, you can actually add a far bit of salt without the food being anywhere close to ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Never add it to anything - I have salt in the house for the fish tank only.

There's far too much salt in everything nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I love cooking and baking and I never use salt...I cringe watching cookery shows and they are flying in the salt.

I only use salt on chips and a boiled egg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't add it to any food but a lot of the stuff I eat has a fairly high sodium content anyway =/

I just love crisps man :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Whatever about not adding to it finished meals, salt is a crucial part of many recipes. The right amount doesn't taste salty, it just enhances flavour. The food in your house must be terribly bland.
    Actually not, Missus is a cracking cook as it happens, she uses an array of spices, she just has a thing about not using salt.:confused: There's other flavours than salty you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm not sure that it is necessarily ignorant to add salt without tasting your meal. As stated earlier, I don't use that much but everyone knows somebody whose dinner is always caked with salt. Those guys know that a meal at a restaurant won't have sufficient quantities relative to what they usually eat.

• Advertisement

I love cooking and baking and I never use salt...I cringe watching cookery shows and they are flying in the salt.

IME, baked goods lacking that crucial pinch of salt come out very bland.

Pottler wrote: »
    Actually not, Missus is a cracking cook as it happens, she uses an array of spices, she just has a thing about not using salt.:confused: There's other flavours than salty you know.

Salt is added to lots of things in small amounts as a flavour enhancer, not so that the food will taste salty. Cakes, for example. So a blanket ban on it is a bit odd, IMO. If the starting ingredients are unprocessed, a bit of salt is grand. A lot of people are bit irrational about salt, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weebuns12

Everything tastes better with soy sauce

IME, baked goods lacking that crucial pinch of salt come out very bland.

You haven't tasted my baking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

I gave up using salt on my food nearly 2 years ago. Are you a user and what would be your daily dose?

I use salt when cooking but seldom sprinkle it on food on the plate.

No indeed. However, there is clearly a reason for that small amount to be added, it's not just for the sake of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Weebuns12 wrote: »
    Everything tastes better with soy sauce

When you said soy sauce did you mean weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Almost never. I'll use spices when cooking, of course, but almost never need to add any on food I've bought. If I do, I can taste it on top of the food.

People give me strange looks for not putting salt on chips, but chips made from good potatoes have a great taste of their own.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Same as -my wife bakes loads, especailly for friends weddings etc and a queue usually forms when people hear she's made such and such - (she really is a cracking cook). In fairness, pretty much all other food tastes crap compared to what she makes and there's usually a huge crowd over for sunday dinner at ours, so she must be doing somthing people like. She, err, just doesn't use salt, which is really no biggie...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weebuns12

Shryke wrote: »
    When you said soy sauce did you mean weed?
    No....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I prefer using it on wounds more...

Pottler wrote: »
    Same as -my wife bakes loads, especailly for friends weddings etc and a queue usually forms when people hear she's made such and such - (she really is a cracking cook). In fairness, pretty much all other food tastes crap compared to what she makes and there's usually a huge crowd over for sunday dinner at ours, so she must be doing somthing people like. She, err, just doesn't use salt, which is really no biggie...

Me and your wife have got to meet!! Not to blow my own trumpet, but I get the same. If I have people coming over, they make requests, some of my dishes are legendary. My cooking and baking is hugely popular in my little circle. I would love to have become a chef but health issues won't allow it.

If people need salt, they should taste the food first and not just automatically shower their food in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Salt is added to lots of things in small amounts as a flavour enhancer, not so that the food will taste salty. Cakes, for example. So a blanket ban on it is a bit odd, IMO. If the starting ingredients are unprocessed, a bit of salt is grand. A lot of people are bit irrational about salt, I think.
    A lot of people are irrational about processed food. I mean where do you think the flour for those cakes came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

I stopped using salt a few years ago, when i read an article about how much was already added to everyday products in the shop. I recall reading another article that stated that one bowl of a certain popular cereal contained half the recommended daily intake of salt :eek:

Wish i could give up sugar as easily as i gave up salt :(

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    A lot of people are irrational about processed food. I mean where do you think the flour for those cakes came from?

I'm not one of those irrational people so not sure where you're going with this post. :) I don't bake now. I have in the past, this is how I know about the lack of salt thing. And I do eat processed food sometimes, like most people. To this I wouldn't add much, if any salt. But unprocessed food needs salt added at some stage, most definitely.

Salt, no.

Soy sauce though I could drink from the bottle! Some boiled rice and soy sauce all over and I'm happy! May as well be eating liquid salt....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Salt is great. Anyone ever use unsalted butter? It's rubbish, the salt is a vital ingredient.

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    Salt, no.

Soy sauce though I could drink from the bottle! Some boiled rice and soy sauce all over and I'm happy! May as well be eating liquid salt....

See, this I don't get. Soy sauce is a high salt product. So you do put salt on your food. :confused:

Cienciano wrote: »
    Salt is great. Anyone ever use unsalted butter? It's rubbish, the salt is a vital ingredient.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    A lot of people are irrational about processed food....

It is a much abused and maligned term. Strictly speaking a peeled carrot has been "processed". God help the poor fool who would insist on unprocessed beef in their kitchen:rolleyes:

Seriously though, the amount of salt and sugar in "processed food" can be excessive and imho is wasted because you can't even taste either.

Soy Sauce & Nam Pla/Nuoc Mam are not "healthy alternatives" to salt as many people seem to believe but they are wet flavoured salt condiments with just as much salt as the traditional sprinkler/cellar

Advertisement