Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use salt on your food?

Options
  • 09-11-2012 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I gave up using salt on my food nearly 2 years ago. Are you a user and what would be your daily dose?

Do you use salt on your food? 156 votes

Yes I use salt
    0% 0 votes
    No salt for me
    51% 81 votes
    I like cake
    48% 75 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yes, my wife cooks.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Yes, it's a flavour enhancer. I don't overdo it but don't understand people's horror at it being added to food.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Don't use much salt. Badly need to cut back on the sugar though. I put 4 spoons in my tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

I use too much salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

My meals look like a Christmas scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Missus won't buy it so there's never any in the house. Can't stand the taste anymore and usually find food is ruined by it. Much the same goes for sugar..

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Only in the process of cooking, and not a lot unless it's needed. I would never pour salt on food that's already sitting on my dinner plate.

And that goes for the rare occasion where I find myself eating chips - in that case I'd have ketchup on the side which is salty enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I hardly ever use salt. Might have it the odd time - on eggs or tomato or chips but that's it. I'm more a pepper person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

only on chipper chips, never any other time. i like to taste my food. my mother is notorious with salt, she covers her food with it, takes a bite then pours more salt on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Chances are that there is already too much of it in your diet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

humbert wrote: »
    My meals look like a Christmas scene.

Lay off the wrapping paper in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Not really, black / cayenne pepper usually.

I always put a sh1t load of salt on homemade popcorn though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Ottway

A tiny bit of sea salt but I find if I squeeze a little Lemon Juice on most foods that you would add salt to traditionally, it works as a far better flavour enhancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Have been known to like some food with my salt, am very heavy handed with it :(
    only on MY plate though..

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ForeverYoungx

I used a ridiculous amount in the past then cut back on it for the sake of my health...now I've been told to start eating it again because I have low blood pressure, you can't win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I love salt.

I try to eat unprocessed foods as much as possible, so I don't feel bad about seasoning my food with salt, as there's usually no added salt in it to start with. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

i like cake and salt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

No, never. Don't think I even use it in cooking. Live in a place with Chinese students and the amount of salt they use in cooking is disgusting.

Some chef, might have been Gordon Ramsay, said something along the lines of it being an insult that diners would reach immediately for the salt to season their food without even tasting it first. Have to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I only put salt on chips and plain chicken, like a roast chicken sandwich. Other than that, I could take it or leave it.

Larianne wrote: »
    I hardly ever use salt. Might have it the odd time - on eggs or tomato or chips but that's it.

Same, fried eggs are unpleasant without salt.

I know people who'll add it to a takeaway curry or hamburger, dunno how they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I don't have it in the house, so nope don't use it. There already salt in all processed food so we're already getting too much without adding more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Gillian1

I'm only short of putting it on my cornflakes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I would use a bit in the cooking process but you shouldn't need much of it if you're any good at cooking.

A pet hate is ignorant cünts who put salt on their meal without tasting it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i like cake and salt

im making a salt and chocolate tart tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

Cheese is the new salt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Larianne wrote: »
    I hardly ever use salt. Might have it the odd time - on eggs or tomato or chips but that's it. I'm more a pepper person.

I am with you on that one. Although I do use soya sauce and fish sauce to add that salty dimension to cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

+1 on the chipper chips there, only time I add salt to anything really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Only on hard boiled eggs.

and chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Gave up taking salt a couple of years ago after I found out I have high blood pressure. It took a while to get used to it. Now when I have the odd packet of crisps all I can taste is the salt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Pottler wrote: »
    Missus won't buy it so there's never any in the house. Can't stand the taste anymore and usually find food is ruined by it. Much the same goes for sugar..

Whatever about not adding to it finished meals, salt is a crucial part of many recipes. The right amount doesn't taste salty, it just enhances flavour. The food in your house must be terribly bland.

Advertisement