Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are parents who get their kids ears pierced selfish?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Thing I don't get about the haters - what person ever regrets their ears being pierced?? It's not the kind of thing that you might end up hating and having to live with. A hole in each ear which was what you were probably going to end up doing at some point anyway. Can't really see any ear-pierced child growing up and thinking, "look what those bastards did to me, I'm ruined!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Cool wrote: »
    Thing I don't get about the haters - what person ever regrets their ears being pierced?? It's not the kind of thing that you might end up hating and having to live with. A hole in each ear which was what you were probably going to end up doing at some point anyway. Can't really see any ear-pierced child growing up and thinking, "look what those bastards did to me, I'm ruined!"

What about the psychological damage that could be caused when that baby grows up to be an adult and looks through her childhood photos and realises that she looked like a knacker in all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I view it as circumcising a baby. I'd rather it be done when they can't remember.

It's not like it causes them any (long lasting) pain or discomfort and they'll be the coolest kid when it comes to play school.

There are so, so many things wrong with that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Kids these days, for some people, constitute little more then a fashion accessory, which is why so many of them grow up to be as vaccuous, pointless and as full of **** as a Channel handbag.

God be with the days when they were bred for a useful purpose, like cheap labor!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I view it as circumcising a baby. I'd rather it be done when they can't remember.

It's not like it causes them any (long lasting) pain or discomfort and they'll be the coolest kid when it comes to play school.

And if the baby's ears are damaged by an untrained sales assistant at the jewelers using a non sterile, brute force piercing gun?

And a reputable piercer won't properly pierce a young child as their ears aren't suitable for it. They aren't turning away business for the laugh, they know better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hardly selfish or irresponsible, If it's with a sterile needle or whatever, irresponsible would be getting it tattooed. Perhaps its a better idea than waiting till they're 9 or 10 and terrified of getting it done but really want it done, It's a tiny pinch!

It's not "with a sterile needle or whatever", it's with a piece of **** "piercing gun", that cannot be properly disinfected, and is used on everyone and anyone that wanders into those shops (Mostly "Claire's") to get pierced. :mad:

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/psafety/a/piercing_guns.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

I am amazed at this post... so many people don't realise how important the element of tradition is. Just like anything you'd do here for tradition! Just because there is some slight discomfort, (MUCH less than later in life) all of you are freaking out. It's much less painful then a lot of things we put our children through.
    And the 'kids these days are accessories' argument is quite ignorant when you consider families who've pierced their baby's ears for generations and generations.
    Get over yourselves! Just because you're not familiar with the custom doesn't mean it's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

It's not "with a sterile needle or whatever", it's with a piece of **** "piercing gun", that cannot be properly disinfected, and is used on everyone and anyone that wanders into those shops (Mostly "Claire's") to get pierced. :mad:

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/psafety/a/piercing_guns.htm[/QUOTE]

Ah for gods sake every person in the country has been having their ears peirced by guns for about forty years, dont ever recall anyone dying from it.

Body piercers just want the whole market to themselves and i suppose to charge the earth for it aswell. And NO i dont work in Claires or pierce ears and have 14 ear holes all done with a pierceing gun and am still able to write this post!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Every piercing I ever got with a gun got infected anyway. Never had any trouble with the ones I got done in piercing studios.

Leaving lobes out of it, piercing anywhere else on the body with a gun is so dangerous and stupid and can shatter cartilage and can leave permanent damage to the area.

And you want to talk about body piercers making a profit? It costs about 50c to pierce someone with a un-sanitized gun, most jewelers charge about €25 including the cheap studs.
    Most piercers I have ever seen charge about that for 2 lobes, which includes the cost of their single use needles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

lounakin wrote: »
    I am amazed at this post... so many people don't realise how important the element of tradition is. Just like anything you'd do here for tradition! Just because there is some slight discomfort, (MUCH less than later in life) all of you are freaking out. It's much less painful then a lot of things we put our children through.
    And the 'kids these days are accessories' argument is quite ignorant when you consider families who've pierced their baby's ears for generations and generations.
    Get over yourselves! Just because you're not familiar with the custom doesn't mean it's wrong.

Just because something is traditional doesn't make it right. I could go on about male and female genital mutilation happening within tradition but that would be for another thread I think.

• Advertisement

I think it's very easy to overplay the tradition thing and just because it's a traditional thing doesn't make it right, does it? Like, if I said our family has a tradition of pointing and laughing at disabled kids, saying it's a tradition hardly excuses the behaviour.

PlainP wrote: »
    Just because something is traditional doesn't make it right. I could go on about male and female genital mutilation happening within tradition but that would be for another thread I think.

Well if piercing a baby's ear is the same to you as mutilating genitals, then life must get quite complicated for you!

Well if piercing a baby's ear is the same to you as mutilating genitals, then life must get quite complicated for you!

You're the one who said it's ok if its traditional, I was just pointing out to you that not all traditions are ok!!!!

You're the one who said it's ok if traditional, I was just pointing out to that not all traditions are ok!!!!
    Nope, that's not what I said, I was responding to the comments that it's for fashion or out of selfishness (title of the thread) I was saying it's mostly out of tradition. I don't think tradition makes it right or wrong.

I don't think tradition makes it right or wrong.

Hmm…

[Quote=lounakin
    Get over yourselves! Just because you're not familiar with the custom doesn't mean it's wrong.[/Quote]

But you said here (see above) this to me means you advocate the practice based on it being traditional, or am I just reading it wrong?

But you said here (see above) this to me means you advocate the practice based on it being traditional, or am I just reading it wrong?

You're reading it wrong! It's not wrong because it's a tradition just as it's not wrong because it's not! Let's stop pretending we don't understand each other... I know very well you didn't mean to say earpiercing is like genital mutilation! lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You're reading it wrong! It's not wrong because it's a tradition just as it's not wrong because it's not! Let's stop pretending we don't understand each other... I know very well you didn't mean to say earpiercing is like genital mutilation! lol

No, you're writing it wrong.
    In particular:
    so many people don't realise how important the element of tradition is.

bluewolf wrote: »
    No, you're writing it wrong.
    In particular:
    Tradition is important in deciding whether your motivation is selfish or not... all I'm saying.

You're reading it wrong! It's not wrong because it's a tradition just as it's not wrong because it's not! Let's stop pretending we don't understand each other...

Kind of like when I say, it doesn't matter if it's tradition or not, it still makes the child look knackery.

• Advertisement

Kind of like when I say, it doesn't matter if it's tradition or not, it still makes the child look knackery.
    Ok why not... but it's due to your own vision of things. Where I come from (and loads of other places) it's not viewed as knackery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

'Tradition' is a stupid justification for anything. It's the last line of defense before someone with no other justification defaults to 'because I said so'.

// Brb - buying me a nice traditional slave and doing my best to revoke women's rights. Boy, I sure do love me some tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

No just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Yes not to mentiOn complete knackers

So this thread should have been called 'aren't parents who pierce their baby's ears stupid knackers?' because apparently there isn't much left to discuss here! There was a thread once about how most boardsies are white 20-30 year old middle class males etc... all of you have the same speech! From now on I will introduce myself as a stupid and complete knacker since that's all it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

danslevent wrote: »
    Well most girls are going to pierce their ears anyway in the future, why not do it when they are young?

Because the earring can get caught in something and rip the earlobe.

Personally I don't like to see kids with their ears pierced. I cringe when I pass Claire's accessories and see a child screaming while getting it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

mel1 wrote: »
    Ah for gods sake every person in the country has been having their ears peirced by guns for about forty years, dont ever recall anyone dying from it.

Body piercers just want the whole market to themselves and i suppose to charge the earth for it aswell. And NO i dont work in Claires or pierce ears and have 14 ear holes all done with a pierceing gun and am still able to write this post!

Sure if you ever have to have surgery, why not get it done by someone with no training that will cut you open by forcing a spoon through your flesh, rather than a qualified surgeon cutting it cleanly with a scalpel?

You may (and probably will) claim this to be exaggerating the damage, but I'm not, it's just the same on a slightly bigger scale. A gun works by pushing a blunt stud through the flesh. A needle cuts cleanly through it. Which one of the above is better, and which will heal better? Which one is done with a single-use needle, and which is done by a plastic thing that is used to rip holes in children, and is unable to be sterilized?

Advertisement