Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are parents who get their kids ears pierced selfish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

cowzerp wrote: »
    If you bring the kid to football and they hate it people are hardly going to force them to keep it up.

What age do they start football? I think parents encourage kids to do stuff or even bribe them into playing sport or doing irish dancing.
    Have you seen that programme tantrums and tiaras.?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

The bolded part pretty much sums up how I wanted to say it.

So it's selfish because the parents are doing what they want, not caring what the child wants.

To my mind Selfish refers to taking interest in oneself, so i only mean a different word might be more sutitable. I dont disagree with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

'Dumbass' I believe is the word that you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

What age do they start football? I think parents encourage kids to do stuff or even bribe them into playing sport or doing irish dancing.
    Have you seen that programme tantrums and tiaras.?

can start at any age, but its rare you go see nippers playing football and hating it-bribed or not, Plus their not left with a hole in their ear.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Reading all the outrage here,bit over the top in my opinion.
    My granddaughter who is 3 has two small studs in her ears is neither a skanger.looks tacky or at the end of no social ladder,She has lovely long golden/blonde hair and is quite beautiful,They are doing her no harm at all just like they haven't done to her mother.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

realies wrote: »
    My granddaughter who is 3 has two small studs in her ears is neither a skanger.looks tacky or at the end of no social ladder,She has lovely long golden/blonde hair and is quite beautiful,They are doing her no harm at all just like they haven't done to her mother.

I guarantee it looks tacky

I guarantee it looks tacky

I am telling you it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I've had mine done since I was six, and as a child I couldn't have cared less whether they were pierced or not.
    I don't come from a skangery/knacker background either.
    I have my ears done twice now and I couldn't be happier. :)

It seems its just in Ireland/afterhours that it seems wrong, A lot of Spanish/portuguese/Italian children have theres done from a very early age, No problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I cry when I see a baby in Claires getting pierced. How anyone can think of bringing a piercing gun near a baby is beyond me.

So yes inflicting pain a bad method of piercing on a baby so they can look more like you want them to is selfish.

Claires makes me vomit that they don't have any age restrictions. And use guns. I freakin hate that place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I think I agree with the general consensus here, it looks dire on infants and it would mostly be seen certain socio-economic groups in Ireland. At what age does it become "acceptable" though? I'm reading realies description of the 3yr old and tbh it does not sound "chavy" at all - obviously were stupid big hoops involved or were it a boy (oooh discrimination!), it would be different.

It does look terrible on infants and I think I would go along with the selfish description. The child can, however, take them out whenever they feel like it though, so it's not the worst thing that a lot of Irish parents do without the child's consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's a tacky and disgusting practice IMO. Sorry realies, but I'm sure your granddaughter (who sounds gorgeous) would be even more beautiful without her studs.

Can't believe Claire's has no age restrictions on ear piercing, that is terrible!!!

This is the sort of stuff that should be in the Children's Referendum, along with banning slutty clothes for preteens, padded bikinis for little girls and anything with the Playboy logo on it. There's far too much sexualisation of kids already (particularly girls sadly). Ear piercing is just another part of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I would wait until the child is old enough to understand that they will have holes in their ears for the rest of their lives before piercing them.

It is unnecessary and imo looks horrid on an infant. It's only for the gratification of the parent and does nothing for the well-being of the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Anyone that thinks it's ok, I'd advise them to have a bit of a read up about piercing guns, and why they are so bad. It's horrific to use those things on anyone, never mind a helpless infant.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I don't think it's selfish but it's definitely stupid and a horrible thing to do to a young baby, you wouldn't get your baby tattooed, don't go piercing it ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I had my toddlers' nipples pierced last month and he loves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I dunno if selfish is the word but it's downright irresponsible, nobody should be getting pierced with a piercing gun, it's completely unhygienic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

WindSock wrote: »
    I had my toddlers' nipples pierced last month and he loves it!

That's nothing, this is what I had done to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I like drawing penis and writing profanity on my toddlers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Good Jesus. Follow some of the videos after.. Kids for Beauty Pageants.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Tone down the aggression and abuse if you want to contribute any more to this thread

yeah," the usual must" have a well paid job to afford this

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Hardly selfish or irresponsible, If it's with a sterile needle or whatever, irresponsible would be getting it tattooed. Perhaps its a better idea than waiting till they're 9 or 10 and terrified of getting it done but really want it done, It's a tiny pinch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Skangers go it to their kids I'd say

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Skangers go it to their kids I'd say

A very sweeping generalization there.

A very sweeping generalization there.
    So?

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    So?

Cant I make that comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I view it as circumcising a baby. I'd rather it be done when they can't remember.

It's not like it causes them any (long lasting) pain or discomfort and they'll be the coolest kid when it comes to play school.

Cant I make that comment?
    I never said you couldn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

realies wrote: »

skangers dont know they're skangers

or, at the very least, not going to admit to being one

• Advertisement

Syllabus wrote: »
    skangers dont know they're skangers

or, at the very least, not going to admit to being one

2 tiny little pieces of gold or silver in a child's ear makes the parents skangers?:pac: The world would be a very boring place if we were all the same.

Advertisement