Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are parents who get their kids ears pierced selfish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I got it done at about 13 in georges arcade and septicemia set in :( didn't go away for ages... served me right.

I got 2 piercings in the top of my ear done there. About 2 months later, I ended up in the doctor's surgery with the doctor trying to clamp the holes open and pull out the earrings with some pliar type device because my ear had swollen up so badly that you could nolonger see the piercings.
    Was very sore :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

WTF? What has how much money they have got to do with anything?

Because it is generally done by tinkers or skangers. Who arent rich (officially). Yet i saw a range rover open during the summer and a child lifted out with an earring and a mohawk haircut. The fact that i put my substantial outrage aside to focus on the mother's arse bending over to pick the child out of the back seat is irrelevant. The outrage existed for that brief fleeting moment.

I hope that answered your question

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Its one of my biggest peeves, my four year old asked me a few weeks ago, i told her when shes 18, its nasty looking on kids full on chav, it would be jam jams while shopping for her new hooops next, no sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Clip-ons; if they must and in their own time.. for "special occasions" it's not the worst thing in the world but we shouldn't force a child to mature too early in the attraction dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

ah its just kind of annoying cause earrings dont sit right

Ah georges arcade, I wonder if the lady with the shaky arm still works there! My ears still bear the scars from that place

I got my first piercing from her years ago.

"So, does this hurt much?"

"Ah no love, it' only six euro."

"No, I meant..."

Ow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

OneArt wrote: »
    I got my first piercing from her years ago.

"So, does this hurt much?"

"Ah no love, it' only six euro."

"No, I meant..."

Ow!

ah memories, and the queue for that place was always out the door!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Luckily I had been warned by friends who did piercings so never got butchered by them, I'm amazed how many people went there.

Am I too strict on this if around 8, they want to do it as a girl then I may permit. Its that much more of a rebellion thing from a boy, granted he's not gay so no go there...

Think I may have done it about 12 cos I thought MJ looked "Bad" for a brief period so adolescence, maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I got mine done at 8 - I begged and pleaded until my mom gave in.
    They didn't last long - I fainted whenever my mom cleaned them, so she made me take them out - at which time I fainted again and whacked my head off the dishwasher :/

I have a 9 year old boy - wouldn't cross his mind, but if he really wanted them, I guess I would let him.

Same goes for my daughter when she's about 8/9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Am I too strict on this if around 8, they want to do it as a girl then I may permit. Its that much more of a rebellion thing from a boy, granted he's not gay so no go there...

Think I may have done it about 12 cos I thought MJ looked "Bad" for a brief period so adolescence, maybe

There's no such thing as a gay ear anymore

• Advertisement

I had the feeling there was something politically incorrect about that. the anxiety was tearing me up

besides Jimmy Somerville, didnt have the "obligatory" earring but you'd have to have a gay ear to feel his bronksi beat surely:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I got mine done at about 2 years old. I don't come from a knackery family or anything, apparently it was done to make me more obvious as a girl. Though that was 1991 and mum was going through her blue mohawk phase so feck knows what was going on tbh.

Both of my sisters got them done on their 7th birthdays. I think that was fair enough, it's not like they ever wore hoops or dangly earrings, just little studs.

A friend of mine didn't get them done til she was 20, which to me was strange seeing someone who'd always had virgin ears to that age because I can't remember non-pierced ears. Handy out for me not being able to remember it, I suppose. Have never gotten any other piercings since because I don't know how sore it'll be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I got my ears pierced when I was 4. My daughter is almost 6 now and not a chance will I get her ears pierced. She can get them done herself when she's old enough to decide though....and when she can get pierced with needles and not a gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Anyone you see with their toddlers/kids dressed up like a 15 year old with piercings, 'V' haircuts, tacky tracksuits or gold jewellery are usually bottom of the pile skangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It ranks alongside having kids wearing gold chains as knackerish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Every time there is a thread on this in AH, I'm fascinated. I didn't grow up in Ireland, and it was just the norm that babies got their ears pierced - the doctor actually did it, not someone in the mall with a gun. I'd never actually heard anyone voice outrage about it until I saw it on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

My granddaughter has her ears pierced,(she is 3) There lovely.Dont see anything wrong with them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I don't see how it would be "selfish".

Idiotic and unnecessary, on the other hand, yes.

Well if you think about it, the piercing is not something the baby wants or needs, it's done by the parent/s who (somehow) find it aesthetically pleasing to them.

But yes, idiotic and unnecessary would be exactly how I'd describe it too. Punching a hole through a young child's ear for no reason other than to stick a piece of jewellery in is a pretty cruel thing to do imo.

Looks awful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Every time there is a thread on this in AH, I'm fascinated. I didn't grow up in Ireland, and it was just the norm that babies got their ears pierced - the doctor actually did it, not someone in the mall with a gun. I'd never actually heard anyone voice outrage about it until I saw it on boards.

People on boards are outraged about everything, AH posters especially like to get outraged on behave of those they think should be outraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Surprised nobody mentioned the risk of said baby getting their ear ripped off if it caught in something as they run by etc, It's just tacky and needless.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

LordSutch wrote: »
    Babies with earrings, NO no no Its just plane wrong.

Unless of course you are from South America or some other place where it is tradition.
    Well in fairness either it's not good for the kid or it's harmless. Tradition isn't much of an excuse, same as it isn't for FGM. No I am not comparing the two I am saying tradition isn't an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It looks tacky, chavvy and skangery. No need for it either. The child can make his or her own decision when they are older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

eviltwin wrote: »
    It looks tacky, chavvy and skangery. No need for it either. The child can make his or her own decision when they are older.

You can say this about everything to do with children, do they play football, do they do ballet, do they eat veg, parents have to make some decisions, you cannot wait until the child is old enough to make every decision for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

You can say this about everything to do with children, do they play football, do they do ballet, do they eat veg, parents have to make some decisions, you cannot wait until the child is old enough to make every decision for themselves.

If you bring the kid to football and they hate it people are hardly going to force them to keep it up.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Laughing at the Georges St arcade comments - my god the memories.... and the faint scars :p Oddly enough though, a couple of mine actually healed well, but I must have just been lucky. I know better now!

I was 9 when I first got mine done. I had been begging for about 2 years though. If I had a daughter, I would wait until she was old enough to ask for them and to understand the responsibility of looking after a piercing.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

I mean when their kid is a few months old and the parents get their ears pierced just so they can have a 'prettier' baby with a shiny earring.

The kid has no say and has to go through a bit of pain just because their mother wanted them to have a better appearance.

Selfish, probaly not the right word,

Prettier, definatly not the right word!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Selfish Chavish - yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Well if you think about it, the piercing is not something the baby wants or needs, it's done by the parent/s who (somehow) find it aesthetically pleasing to them.

But yes, idiotic and unnecessary would be exactly how I'd describe it too. Punching a hole through a young child's ear for no reason other than to stick a piece of jewellery in is a pretty cruel thing to do imo.

Looks awful too.
    mel1 wrote: »
    Selfish, probaly not the right word,

Prettier, definatly not the right word!

The bolded part pretty much sums up how I wanted to say it.

So it's selfish because the parents are doing what they want, not caring what the child wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Exercise and a balanced diet are crucial to a child's health and wellbeing - of course a parent will do these things.

There is no benefit whatsoever to the child of having it's ears pierced. It's painful and pointless.
    At least wait until the child is old enough to consent to having a bloody hole punched through their ear!

Advertisement