Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SolitaireX

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    I did, yeah!

How about you spacecat?

congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

I did, yeah!

How about you spacecat?

Congratulations!!! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Thanks everyone. Get a massive shock when I got the email. Good luck with the rest of the college offers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sunnygrl

Congrats:-) now you can relax...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

Not in the running for Trinity or RCSI. But my odds for UCC have just gotten better ;). Unless of course Trinity isn't your first choice, eeekkk :D

I did, yeah!

How about you spacecat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Who here is repeating their leaving cert in Dublin? If so could you give me an idea of what schools you are going to? I'm nearly considering this for September as it seems it greatly increases ones chances of getting in.

I want to see where you would consider best for repeating to get into medicine. Thanks.

PS congrats to all who have done interviews. I'm still holding a minute hope for UCD (dream on for me I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

Does anybody know when we will hear from cork? Do we really have to wait until next week to hear back??

Does anybody know when we will hear from cork? Do we really have to wait until next week to hear back??

Cork told me to ring then towards the end of this week so I'm ringing tomorrow. The wait for RCSI is killing me!!!

Same here, an answer either way would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Who here is repeating their leaving cert in Dublin? If so could you give me an idea of what schools you are going to? I'm nearly considering this for September as it seems it greatly increases ones chances of getting in.

I want to see where you would consider best for repeating to get into medicine. Thanks.

PS congrats to all who have done interviews. I'm still holding a minute hope for UCD (dream on for me I think)

The four in Dublin I know of are The Institute, Rathmines College,Plunket College and Pearse College(a 2 year course)

If you can afford it I would go to the institute , otherwise from my experience I would recommend Rathmines

Just a few things to consider - You will have to meet the matriculation and get the points in the same year , so youll need at least passes in ordinary level English,Irish(if applicable and not for Trinity), a foreign language and what ever higher level science requirements the specific Colleges require ( Check their individual websites )

Depending on how long ago you sat it originally and how well you did you might need two years to get the points needed - most likely 550+

You should definitely be aiming to take on higher level maths as it has 25 additional points for every grade( ie a C1 for example in Business is worth 70 where as for Maths its 95)

Work to your strengths. For me languages are weak and science/maths are strong so Im doing eng,irish and french at ordinary level ( to meet matric.) and maths,applies maths,physics,biology,chemistry and economics at higher level. Also look to take on subjects that overlap - phy,maths,applied - as working on one will help your knowledge with the others

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask

Good Luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

Cork told me to ring then towards the end of this week so I'm ringing tomorrow. The wait for RCSI is killing me!!!

Cool, if you hear anything from cork, please share and let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

dtfo wrote: »
    The four in Dublin I know of are The Institute, Rathmines College,Plunket College and Pearse College(a 2 year course)

If you can afford it I would go to the institute , otherwise from my experience I would recommend Rathmines

Just a few things to consider - You will have to meet the matriculation and get the points in the same year , so youll need at least passes in ordinary level English,Irish(if applicable and not for Trinity), a foreign language and what ever higher level science requirements the specific Colleges require ( Check their individual websites )

Depending on how long ago you sat it originally and how well you did you might need two years to get the points needed - most likely 550+

You should definitely be aiming to take on higher level maths as it has 25 additional points for every grade( ie a C1 for example in Business is worth 70 where as for Maths its 95)

Work to your strengths. For me languages are weak and science/maths are strong so Im doing eng,irish and french at ordinary level ( to meet matric.) and maths,applies maths,physics,biology,chemistry and economics at higher level. Also look to take on subjects that overlap - phy,maths,applied - as working on one will help your knowledge with the others

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask

Good Luck :)

Hi dtfo, thanks for answering me.

Yeah I was really wondering is the institute really worth the big fees. I studied Music and German in university the first time (and did erasmus in germany) so hoping they will help me with getting good marks at LC level.

I Was always good enough at maths but its been 10 years since doing the leaving cert and looking at past papers I need to refresh my memory. I'll then pick
    2 sciences - chemistry &
    Biology. I've done chemistry before but
    Biology will be totally new. Then English and Irish. English scares me most.

Anyway...Enough of my
    Rambling re subjects, what I really wonder is it possible now to get back Into the swing of things I wonder and am
    I mad doing the whole leaving cert again?! Would I better off doing chemistry and biology myself at home while Spending a year volunteering etc and fixing my application for
    Mature medicine and saving the 6/7 grand for my fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

I repeated the leaving cert last year and I posted about on it another thread after I had finished the exams.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79381580

I didn't get enough points and ended up applying this year and thankfully got a place. If you have any questions just PM me and I'll do my best to answer them for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seekaay

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Hi dtfo, thanks for answering me.

Yeah I was really wondering is the institute really worth the big fees. I studied Music and German in university the first time (and did erasmus in germany) so hoping they will help me with getting good marks at LC level.

I Was always good enough at maths but its been 10 years since doing the leaving cert and looking at past papers I need to refresh my memory. I'll then pick
    2 sciences - chemistry &
    Biology. I've done chemistry before but
    Biology will be totally new. Then English and Irish. English scares me most.

Anyway...Enough of my
    Rambling re subjects, what I really wonder is it possible now to get back Into the swing of things I wonder and am
    I mad doing the whole leaving cert again?! Would I better off doing chemistry and biology myself at home while Spending a year volunteering etc and fixing my application for
    Mature medicine and saving the 6/7 grand for my fees.

I repeated in the institute and while I can't comment on how good the other places are I would say the its well worth the fees. They basically poach the best teachers in the country (my ag science teacher lectures in ag in UCD) and prepare you solely to answer the all the questions in the exam.

From my experience you don't really learn all the course materiel and then answer the questions yourself on the day. I had all my answers prepared and revised for specific questions months before the LC.

I know a lot of people feel this isn't a good way studying and its almost a cheat but I struggle hugely with languages so for me the LC is a ridiculous way of testing my ability.

Like I said I can't comment on any other place but I dropped to ordinary level for all the matric subjects and took up chemistry and ag and got A1's in both in one year. For points I used Chem, Ag, Bio, Geog, Business and Physics, and just passed the matrics.

Hope this helps!

Rang RCSI, they said we won't hear til Monday, maybe tomorrow but more than likely Monday. This is going to be the longest weekend ever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭homergriffin

Rang RCSI, they said we won't hear til Monday, maybe tomorrow but more than likely Monday. This is going to be the longest weekend ever :(

Ah no, very long weekend indeed! The last week has taken so long.

Has anyone contacted UCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭livk

SolitaireX wrote: »
    Has anyone contacted UCC?

Too afraid to, still. I figure the longer I leave it the longer before the rejection.

livk wrote: »
    Too afraid to, still. I figure the longer I leave it the longer before the rejection.
    Ha ha, that' my plan too!

SolitaireX wrote: »
    Ha ha, that' my plan too!

I tried ringing, couldn't get through so emailed, no word back yet. Will post ASAP if I hear!!

• Advertisement

I sent off a mail too, can't have everyone else doing my dirty work now can I.

Just wondering if anyone get a response to their email? I've still gotten none.

Nothing :( Who did you email?

Just general admissions, since they're the people who have the outcome. They've had the results since friday evening, though. Hopefully tomorrow will shed some more light on all this.

Yeah, same. Argh, this waiting is killing me!

I know. I've started getting angry when anyone calls me that isn't UCC. I really want to know by tomorrow, even if it's bad news.

livk wrote: »
    I know. I've started getting angry when anyone calls me that isn't UCC. I really want to know by tomorrow, even if it's bad news.

Same!!! Trying to study for the leaving cert and cannot focus at all

Has anyone looked into loans to pay the fees or how is everyone going to manage that?

Tried calling UCC several times this morning. Always a busy signal. Hope ye have better luck.

• Advertisement

Just got a reply from UCC, it will be mid next week when we can get any info.

Advertisement