Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has customer service gone to pot lately ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

krudler wrote: »
    then use email, facebook, boards, twitter etc etc to contact them? most big companies have multiple ways of getting an issue handled these days. The reason companies use self service ivrs is otherwise nobody would ever get through, you'd have every customer ringing through to an agent.

Actually, no. I don't personally like using customer service numbers; before that Electric Ireland call I'd emailed them - and got a callback who left a message telling me to call the 1890 or 1850 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Smyths Toys wouldn't replace a broken belt clip on a new buggy, I relieved them of the replacement from a store display model instead.
    So people jump to criticise you, yet effectively they were going to rob you to begin with.

People, kindly go fúck yourselves ;)

Back when most shops were small businesses, it was easier to please people. A customer wants something ordered in? Order it. A customer has a complaint with an item? Give them a return and a discount on a new one. Someone wants to complain about how things are done? Listen to their complaint and sort it out for them. But all these things require the power to act on your own opinion or easy access to someone who can. The ability to use your discretion.

In businesses these days that's near impossible. When I'm behind a till, with an angry queue of 10 people and no one to cover me while I go get the manager, I can hardly show someone where the eggs are. When the manager's been in the office all day and I haven't seen the boss in weeks, I can't get someone a discount on a fixed price item just because they think the price isn't fair. Nor can I answer the question "but WHY does it cost that much?". When tills are automated and require a barcode in order to process an item, I can't just let you skip the queue and throw me a euro for your Evening Herald. I'll deal with all these people as best I can, with a smile on my face no matter what they say to me, and apologies at the ready even when they're in the wrong. And still they'll treat me like dirt, even when I've done things that could lose me my job to try to please them.

Customer services haven't changed. People opt for chain stores and big businesses and still expect a personal service. No matter how nice an employee is, or how desperately they want to send you away happy, there are many things that as a low level worker in a big business, they just can't do for you. There are people than can help, but customers refuse to go to the appropriate person unless you personally redirect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Probably a call board though. Most call centres have them to show the level of calls on hold so agent knows to not dwindle on the phone.

Where I am we aim for an average 5 min call talktime. Its very easy to average this out during the week even with very long calls for 45mins coming in to so its alright to get the balance. They are generally ok where I am if it is a little bit over after all if you have to do something that takes ages to fix a problem then what can ya do

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The problem with so called "poor customer service" is that when most people make a mistake, don't read the small print or generally don't get their way when dealing with a company, they call it poor customer service, even when it's completely their own fault.

I deal with customers everyday. If someone is decent with me i will do my best for them. If someone is very pissed off but dosnt take it out on me, i will do my best for them. If they get aggressive, snotty, condescending or abusive i will go out of my way to pissed them off and delay them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The problem with so called "poor customer service" is that when most people make a mistake, don't read the small print or generally don't get their way when dealing with a company, they call it poor customer service, even when it's completely their own fault.

Thats true but a lot of companies don't look inwards and just accept their procedures when they are actually customer unfriendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

UPC defo has to be worst for customer service. I rang them three weeks ago about a moving home order.

now they keep saying they're trying to release services into the area even though I have a UPC branded outlet on the wall. I connected tv to it last week and get basic package. Upc reps say they're trying to release services into area.

Connect digital box to it today and I'm getting full digital package I had even though I was told engineers are still working to connect me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

UPC defo has to be worst for customer service. I rang them three weeks ago about a moving home order.

now they keep saying they're trying to release services into the area even though I have a UPC branded outlet on the wall. I connected tv to it last week and get basic package. Upc reps say they're trying to release services into area.

Connect digital box to it today and I'm getting full digital package I had even though I was told engineers are still working to connect me.

Maybe it varies? I've had really lovely and helpful services seometimes from UPC. Not for TV - apparently their TV service isn't so good - but for net.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

It seems to be sh1t in this country, generally.

In Australia, 99% people serving at counters were pleasant, rather than being annoyed at being woken up from their nap here.

Edit: Is 'relieved' code for nicked?
    Nice.

That's because in Australia they pay people properly not like the greedy companies in Ireland. If I'm working in Australia on 20 dollars an hour in some crappy job of course I'm going to smile!

Why would I smile in Ireland when I know I can't afford to do anything after work cause I'm paid so badly while the company I work for makes millions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

otto_26 wrote: »
    That's because in Australia they pay people properly not like the greedy companies in Ireland. If I'm working in Australia on 20 dollars an hour in some crappy job of course I'm going to smile!

Mate if I was getting $20 an hour for a crappy job I wouldn't be smiling, $20 p/h is absolute rubbish. FFS I lose more in tax.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Mate if I was getting $20 an hour for a crappy job I wouldn't be smiling, $20 p/h is absolute rubbish. FFS I lose more in tax.

Oh God I know, wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than $40 an hour for folding clothes myself... :rolleyes:

$20 = €16.30 an hour

€8.65 minimum wage in Ireland

Although the cost of living is slightly higher in Australia it's not €7.65 an hour more expensive hence the smiles and better customer service in Australia, Staff have a better quality of life and paid better.

otto_26 wrote: »
    Oh God I know, wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than $40 an hour for folding clothes myself... :rolleyes:

$20 = €16.30 an hour

€8.65 minimum wage in Ireland

Although the cost of living is slightly higher in Australia it's not €7.65 an hour more expensive hence the smiles and better customer service in Australia, Staff have a better quality of life and paid better.

$20 is $20 wether its €16.30 today due to the exchange rate is neither here or there, same as 4 or 5 years ago $20 was about €10.

Its still the same $20 in Australia that hasn't changed but the Euro is so devalued it makes it look like a lot.

btw average wage in Australia is $34 p/h and the minimum wage for a 20 year old is $15.59

Maybe the smiles and better customers service is down to the Lifestyle and better weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

T-K-O wrote: »
    Sounds like you are not cut out for the job. For the same reasons I would never work in that area.

I'm not, which is why I sit at home all day and write articles for money.

I'd rather wash dishes than have to speak to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

iDave wrote: »
    People call customer service with the intention of being confrontational. Usually armed with a demand there just not entitled to.
    From my experience in call centres you get eejits demanding a lower price for no good reason even though they're fixed prices. The same people wouldnt walk into a shop though and demand a lower price on a fixed price item. Its the telephone version of keyboard warriors, act like an @sshole as theirs no consequences and your dealing with a stranger you cant see.

If you're not a viewer of Cries of Retail - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055527204 then go take a look. See how many people go into shops....even big chains and ask for discounts, just because some wally like Eddie Hobbs or Joe "that's terrible" Duffy said to do it, all because we're in a recession. It's unlikely that someone is going to risk their job to give a tightwad 20 cent off their bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ooooooh, sorrrRRRY Dr. Engineeringson

Overheal wrote: »
    Ooooooh, sorrrRRRY Dr. Engineeringson

:D

No bother, next time I'm over your way I'll drop you my odds.

$20 is $20 wether its €16.30 today due to the exchange rate is neither here or there, same as 4 or 5 years ago $20 was about €10.

Its still the same $20 in Australia that hasn't changed but the Euro is so devalued it makes it look like a lot.

btw average wage in Australia is $34 p/h and the minimum wage for a 20 year old is $15.59

Maybe the smiles and better customers service is down to the Lifestyle and better weather

But I said they have a better quality of life because they are paid better... Hence the better customer serivce..

I think $20 is here or there... For example I can get 4 coffees at starbucks in Australia for every hour I work meaning if I only buy one I still have money left over to head to the cinema or buy a t-shirt or I can get 4 pints per hour worked or whatever... My money goes further meaning I have more money to spend per hour I work increasing my quailty of life resulting in better customer service because I'm happy!! No good having great weather if I don't have the money to enjoy it simple.

In Ireland I can only get 2 coffees at starbucks for every hour I work or only 2 pints for every hour I work actually I couldn't even buy a t-shirt for every hour worked giving me less money to spend meaning I can't save or do whatever I want making me miserable at work knowing I cant afford to do much when I finish work. Resulting in poor cusrtomer service why would I give a **** when the company pays me so poorly I can't afford to do simple enjoyable things I want once I finish work..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

For me it's simple. The customer being nice means me going out of my way to make their life easier. The customer being ok means me being ok but not exactly putting myself under added pressure to help them.
    The customer being horrible pretty much means that they have a black mark against them. My colleagues will hear about it and we all are familiar with the repeat offenders. As a result we will do very little to make their lives easier. A "work to rule" if you like. We will write a letter instead of making a call for example. We will do our job but just enough to cover the minimum expected of us.

As a result, I am always super polite and nice when dealing with people in their workplace because I know that gets the best from them.

How customers expect to be horrible to someone and still get that same person to go above and beyond what is expected of them, it baffles me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

ash23 wrote: »
    For me it's simple. The customer being nice means me going out of my way to make their life easier. The customer being ok means me being ok but not exactly putting myself under added pressure to help them.
    The customer being horrible pretty much means that they have a black mark against them. My colleagues will hear about it and we all are familiar with the repeat offenders. As a result we will do very little to make their lives easier. A "work to rule" if you like. We will write a letter instead of making a call for example. We will do our job but just enough to cover the minimum expected of us.

As a result, I am always super polite and nice when dealing with people in their workplace because I know that gets the best from them.

How customers expect to be horrible to someone and still get that same person to go above and beyond what is expected of them, it baffles me....
    I don't get this attitude at all.

I treat people they way I would expect to be treated myself, not the way that they treat me.

People here same to be going out of their way to make their jobs harder for themselves, it's mind-boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Where To wrote: »

I treat people they way I would expect to be treated myself, not the way that they treat me.

People here same to be going out of their way to make their jobs harder for themselves, it's mind-boggling.
    I used to be all idealistic and nobly principled before I worked in customer service too.

I pride myself on a high standard and extra - despite your claim nobody gives a sh1t about customers. But if someone called me a ****ing **** because of something that is not my fault and even due to their own stupidity, no way would I make extra effort - with that kind of abuse and bullying?! Forget it! I'd go through the motions, end of.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be making my job harder by doing the minimum though. I'd be making it easier. That's my point.
    If I have some lovely dote on the phone I will do more for that person. I will give them my email address and call them back. I will send them out information and highlight the relevant bits and I will call them to make sure they got it and that they understand. I make it my mission to be as nice and kind to them as they have been to me.

If I get some rude, obnoxious fecker on the line, no WAY is he getting my email address. He can post stuff instead. I will put the information in an envelope but I won't put myself to bother pointing out what he needs, nor will I follow up with them unless I am asked.

Nice people = me doing more work to make them even happier.
    Horrid people = me do minimum work because they're going to be a fecker no matter what I do.

Some people are just awkward and difficult. And no matter how helpful and nice and thoughtful you are, they will still ring up and be awkward and difficult every time.

After 7 years in the service industry and another 7 in customer service, you get the measure of people fairly quickly. Some are just not nice, and nothing you do will change that, so why bother?

Madam_X wrote: »
    I'd go through the motions, end of.

Nice people = me doing more work to make them even happier.
    Horrid people = me do minimum work because they're going to be a fecker no matter what I do.
    So you both openly admit to giving certain customers preferential treatment over others?
    And you both think that this makes life easier for yourselves?

And then you both wonder why so many customers are difficult?

Seriously?

I'm glad neither of you had the (dis)pleasure of working for me.:pac:
    Anyone who differentiated between customers quickly saw the door.

So you both openly admit to giving certain customers preferential treatment over others?

Seriously?

Look, you really haven't a clue what you're talking about so please give it a rest telling us what's what re something you don't know about and don't understand.
    You obviously have not had to deal with bullying customers - to say you wouldn't be affected is a lie. You would. it's an unacceptable way for an adult to behave. Also, if you think it's best to lick up to a bully it's very telling indeed.
    It's not preferential treatment seeing as each call is individual. You will react according to how you're treated. Your nonsense about how customers get angry because of preferential treatment is disingenuous, misinformed shyte. Their acting like pigs is nothing to do with "preferential treatment" - their minds are already made up to act like yobs before they pick up the phone. If an advisor doesn't bend over backwards for them it is a natural, understandable, provoked reaction - and you know it.

Seriously?

You can't be shown the door if you do your job. We regularly prioritise certain clients over others and procedure differs depending on workload etc etc.
    Certain things are set in stone and then for others we can choose to do more but it's off our own bat.

Are you telling me you'd fire someone over doing their job? If someone goes out of their way to do a favour for someone, you'd fire them for not doing the same for everyone? Good luck with that!
    ;)

Where I work, if I go out of my way for someone I get lauded, not fired! Sometimes I am good at my job and sometimes I excel.
    I can decide when I'm good and when I push the boat out. There are certain frills I reserve for my favourite people.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Look, you really haven't a clue what you're talking about so please give it a rest telling us what's what re something you don't know about and don't understand.
    You obviously have not had to deal with bullying customers - to say you wouldn't be affected is a lie. You would. it's an unacceptable way for an adult to behave. Also, if you think it's best to lick up to a bully it's very telling indeed.
    It's not preferential treatment seeing as each call is individual. You will react according to how you're treated. Your nonsense about how customers get angry because of preferential treatment is disingenuous, misinformed shyte. Their acting like pigs is nothing to do with "preferential treatment" - their minds are already made up to act like yobs before they pick up the phone. If an advisor doesn't bend over backwards for them it is a natural, understandable, provoked reaction - and you know it.
    Yeah, I've only been at the coal face for 25 odd years, sure what would I know?:)

Edit;
    Who said anything about licking up to anyone? There's a massive difference between treating people fairly and rolling over for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

pay peanuts..... get monkeys! companies really need to start paying their frontline staff a bit more tbh

Yeah, I've only been at the coal face for 25 odd years, sure what would I know?:)

You're a taxi man I see. So, you'd never help someone with their luggage because they were really nice or they were a little old lady who was struggling or a person juggling twin babies and a buggy and luggage etc?

If you help those people are you telling me you'd help a strapping young person in their 20s with their bags to their front door too?

Sometimes we add a little depending on the person. You will drive a person from A to B and they will pay a set fair. But you have a choice as to whether you will get out in the rain and carry their bags to the door and I bet you'll do it for some people and not others depending on how you feel about them?

It's the same in an office. Sometimes we can do a bit more. Whether we do or not depends on the person we are serving.

You're a taxi man I see. So, you'd never help someone with their luggage because they were really nice or they were a little old lady who was struggling or a person juggling twin babies and a buggy and luggage etc?

If you help those people are you telling me you'd help a strapping young person in their 20s with their bags to their front door too?

Sometimes we add a little depending on the person. You will drive a person from A to B and they will pay a set fair. But you have a choice as to whether you will get out in the rain and carry their bags to the door and I bet you'll do it for some people and not others depending on how you feel about them?

It's the same in an office. Sometimes we can do a bit more. Whether we do or not depends on the person we are serving.
    I help everyone with their luggage, regardless of whether it's raining or not, it's my job after all.

Once you start treating some people differently to others you are on a very slippery slope. Is it not better to treat everyone fairly and equally rather than being a brick wall for some and a doormat for others?

I'm not having a go btw, a lot more people think they way you do than the way I do, I just couldn't work that way and couldn't abide anyone working with me having that attitude either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

iDave wrote: »
    People call customer service with the intention of being confrontational. Usually armed with a demand there just not entitled to.
    ...The same people wouldnt walk into a shop though and demand a lower price on a fixed price item. Its the telephone version of keyboard warriors, act like an @sshole as theirs no consequences and your dealing with a stranger you cant see.

I find myself becoming one of those people and I'm trying not to be. Brings out the worst in me.

• Advertisement

I help everyone with their luggage, regardless of whether it's raining or not, it's my job after all.

Once you start treating some people differently to others you are on a very slippery slope. Is it not better to treat everyone fairly and equally rather than being a brick wall for some and a doormat for others?

I'm not having a go btw, a lot more people think they way you do than the way I do, I just couldn't work that way and couldn't abide anyone working with me having that attitude either.
    Very different type of advisor-customer environment so you're not comparing like with like. People face to face are generally not going to be as aggressive as they are on the phone. I bet you would not do extra favours for people who are abusive to you - and there wouldn't be anything wrong with that either. This thing about treating people differently - it's not relevant in the types of environments we're talking about because it really boils down to the individual interaction; they do not have a knock-on effect on each other. Customers don't notice, managers don't notice - as long as you are polite and give the customer the information they need, they can tell it is not the type of dynamic for going above and beyond to do stuff outside of the basic requirements.
    People really cannot understand all the nuances of being a customer service advisor until they are in that position themselves. I never realised until doing such work how utterly dreadful some people's behaviour is (a minority though, thankfully).

I did enjoy being extremely informative to customers who thought they were right all the time and were wrong though. ;)

Heh, here's how not to do customer service: http://twitter.com/Cinnamon_D6 :pac:

The guy was being obnoxious for sure - "Sort it out!" as if they're the only customer in the world and the company are deliberately inconveniencing him and they're doing their best to "sort it out" in the first place is an infuriating attitude. However, personal abuse back to him is as bad. They should have just said something along the lines of "The delay is due to us being so busy, but we're going as fast as we can! :)" and left it.

Advertisement