Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has customer service gone to pot lately ?

Options
  • 08-11-2012 3:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Has there been a conscious decision by companies to save money by not dealing with complaints.
    In the past 2 months I've been to the ringer with Vodafone, Ulster Bank & Smyths Toys over issues that would have been a priority years ago.

Vodafone wouldn't send out a replacement for their broken router unless I signed a new 12 month contract, I sourced one myself for a tenner on Adverts.
    Ulster Bank had to be threatened with the financial ombudsman before they caved in & offered decent compensation for the 6 weeks of misery.
    Smyths Toys wouldn't replace a broken belt clip on a new buggy, I relieved them of the replacement from a store display model instead.

Has anyone else noticed a deterioration in customer service in recent years ?.
    Maybe I've just rose tinted spectacles of the past.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

People don't take pride in their work, that's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

We call them cuntomers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

It seems to be sh1t in this country, generally.

In Australia, 99% people serving at counters were pleasant, rather than being annoyed at being woken up from their nap here.

Edit: Is 'relieved' code for nicked?
    Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Has there been a conscious decision by companies to save money by not dealing with complaints.
    In the past 2 months I've been to the ringer with Vodafone, Ulster Bank & Smyths Toys over issues that would have been a priority years ago.

Vodafone wouldn't send out a replacement for their broken router unless I signed a new 12 month contract, I sourced one myself for a tenner on Adverts.
    Ulster Bank had to be threatened with the financial ombudsman before they caved in & offered decent compensation for the 6 weeks of misery.
    Smyths Toys wouldn't replace a broken belt clip on a new buggy, I relieved them of the replacement from a store display model instead.

So what you mean is you stole one! Well done big man.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

So some Joe / Jane Soap working there is in trouble because you effectively stole from the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If the router was broken and not a manufacturers fault then why would they? Not their fault if you broke the router, if it was faulty within warranty thats a different story.

Ulster Bank had a huge issue, these things happen, sure it was badly dealt with but you weren't the only one.

Smyths wouldnt replace something broken so you stole it, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Customer service is expensive. People care more about getting cheap products so after sales service is going to suffer because of those lower prices. Businesses regularly pay extra for a good after sales support system but the general public are fooled into thinking their buying something that is of much better quality than what they're actually getting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Perhaps you're just older and as a result crankier and less polite OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I think it's a result of it being too hard to fire people.

summerskin wrote: »
    We call them cuntomers.
    Although you are joking (I think), this is sadly a very common attitude. Not all customers are *****, but they generally turn into ***** if that's how you treat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A lot of people working in customer service don't want to be. They weren't doing it five or six years ago (and many simply wouldn't) but needs must now and they're working in these jobs through gritted teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Where To wrote: »
    Although you are joking (I think), this is sadly a very common attitude. Not all customers are *****, but they generally turn into ***** if that's how you treat them.
    You sire have never read the Cries of Retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Poxy investors is the problem they want to see an increase in profits year on year and the workload placed on staff while staff levels drop is the reason for bad customer service..

Overheal wrote: »

By far the funniest thread on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

krudler wrote: »
    And it saves lives

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The only thing that stops workers from killing customers by allowing them to blow off steam :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

If the router was broken and not a manufacturers fault then why would they? Not their fault if you broke the router, if it was faulty within warranty thats a different story.

The router slowly died, nobody broke it.
    They were continuing to charge us for broadband that we couldn't receive due to their faulty hardware.
    Would you continue to pay Sky if their dish fell down or the box stopped working & they failed to repair/replace them.
    Ulster Bank had a huge issue, these things happen, sure it was badly dealt with but you weren't the only one.

Agreed but €25 was an insult for what me & my wife went through.
    Ombudsman was the nuclear option but the only thing they'd listen to.
    Smyths wouldnt replace something broken so you stole it, brilliant.

That's one way of looking at it but no greater an infringement than ignoring my consumer rights.
    My actions expedited the matter to it's ultimate conclusion anyway.
    Also, I'm a bit of a c*nt & tend to be rash in these situations.

Overheal wrote: »
    I have and some of the attitudes there are quite frankly shocking:), and I never underestimate the stupidity of the general public either. But people with a good customer service attitude generally have less angst with customers than those who see customers as a hindrance.

It actually takes less effort to be helpful than to be hateful, but sadly a lot of people seem not to realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I find most customer service staff I deal with are fine

I think its more down to customers a) expecting too much b) unable to explain their problem and/or c) just looking to have a moan

Well almost 90% of people I deal with start sentences like so,

Where are the eggs(or product).

Not sure about you but I was brought up with manners. So if they had any respect for staff they would use. Excuse me , Where are the eggs please? Customers who approach me get 120% this way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

The router slowly died, nobody broke it.
    They were continuing to charge us for broadband that we couldn't receive due to their faulty hardware.
    Would you continue to pay Sky if their dish fell down or the box stopped working & they failed to repair/replace them.

Agreed but €25 was an insult for what me & my wife went through.
    Ombudsman was the nuclear option but the only thing they'd listen to.

That's one way of looking at it but no greater an infringement than ignoring my consumer rights.
    My actions expedited the matter to it's ultimate conclusion anyway.
    Also, I'm a bit of a c*nt & tend to be rash in these situations.
    Post fixed.:D

msg11 wrote: »

Not sure about you but I was brought up with manners. So if they had any respect for staff they would use. Excuse me , Where are the eggs please? Customers who approach me get 120% this way.
    So two wrongs make a right?

I have and some of the attitudes there are quite frankly shocking:), and I never underestimate the stupidity of the general public either. But people with a good customer service attitude generally have less angst with customers than those who see customers as a hindrance.

It actually takes less effort to be helpful than to be hateful, but sadly a lot of people seem not to realise this.

Nobody working in retail or customer care starts out hating the public, you become that way from the abuse and stupidity you put up with on a daily basis, make no bones about it 90% of people you deal with are complete fcuking morons, the minority are the polite, sane and rational people who make it bearable. You could equally ask the question when did customers be one rude, self entitled assholes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Post fixed.:D

Why you little . . . . . [ruffles hair]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

People call customer service with the intention of being confrontational. Usually armed with a demand there just not entitled to.
    From my experience in call centres you get eejits demanding a lower price for no good reason even though they're fixed prices. The same people wouldnt walk into a shop though and demand a lower price on a fixed price item. Its the telephone version of keyboard warriors, act like an @sshole as theirs no consequences and your dealing with a stranger you cant see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

ScumLord wrote: »
    Customer service is expensive. People care more about getting cheap products so after sales service is going to suffer because of those lower prices.

+1

You can't expect First Class service on Ryanair prices......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

msg11 wrote: »

Sweet mother of all that's holy..if that's all that's bothering you, you've got a problem.

P.S. Thanks for reading.

Nobody working in retail or customer care starts out hating the public, you become that way from the abuse and stupidity you put up with on a daily basis, make no bones about it 90% of people you deal with are complete fcuking morons, the minority are the polite, sane and rational people who make it bearable. You could equally ask the question when did customers be one rude, self entitled assholes?
    They've always been that way. Hazard of the job. If you can't handle it you can't do your job. The customers haven't gotten any worse, the way they are dealt with has.

So two wrongs make a right?

No see the thing is regardless I have to help them, if there attitude changes while dealing with them mine will too.

Do you work in retail can I ask? I think not, if you did you would understand. We deal with some of the most rudest people in our society.

And if your thinking I am only a prick , well on the way home from my shift off the clock, me and my friend noticed one guy pushing a car, flat battery, we offered to help push and got him going. So going on that I take pride in my job and company, but I cannot stand people looking down on me because ' I pack shelves in a shop ' and you can tell these people from lack of manners. The demanding I want it now, trying to tell me I am wrong when I say we don't stock a product.

• Advertisement

Sweet mother of all that's holy..if that's all that's bothering you, you've got a problem.

P.S. Thanks for reading.

If you seen some of the most degrading looks and down right snobbery when asking that questions towards you, such as that. You wouldn't be happy in fact it's disgraceful the way people have no manners towards each other. So yes , I do have a problem.

Advertisement