Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls for a tougher Budget

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Here's a point that everyone seems to ignore.

People who are in the higher rate of tax, are ALSO on the lower rate of tax for the first 32k of their income

If the lower rate of tax was cut, this would benefit lower paid workers as well as higher paid workers

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think they should abolish Rent Allowance. It's another major drain on resources. So many empty houses in the country, abolish rent allowance and the cost of rent drops so poor people can afford it anyway.

Yeah it'll piss off all those people with their rental investments but **** em, there the only people that benefit from this anyway.

A lot of politicians and their grubby little mates are landlords

not going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Akrasia wrote: »
    If the lower rate of tax was cut, this would benefit lower paid workers as well as higher paid workers

I'm pretty sure the chances of any tax rates being cut are non-existent.

There's just too many grossly-overpaid public serpents to be pampered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Akrasia wrote: »
    Here's a point that everyone seems to ignore.

People who are in the higher rate of tax, are ALSO on the lower rate of tax for the first 32k of their income

Simple maths is not AH's strong point.

UCDVet wrote: »
    To be honest - if I were Irish and found myself unemployed I'd spend as much time on the dole as possible, get as many degrees as I wanted in whatever high-paying, in-demand field I thought was best; then I'd emigrate to a place where I can get a high-paying job with a lower cost of living and pay lower taxes.

You won't get the dole while studying in a course and some people like myself have no desire to leave Ireland.
    mkdon05 wrote: »
    Begrudgery its not. If you have read through my posts, you would see that I pay tax at the higher rate. Im trying to propose a way in which we can get money into local economies. People on higher rate will still be able to contribute, but now the lower paid would be also able to contribute. (To businesses that is.)

If the economy stays stagnant or shrinks, peoples incomes will be reduced through taxes, less money will be spent in the economy, jobs will be lost, businesses will fail.
    Do you think there will be many jobs paying over 33k then?

Frankly that is nonsense, just because your on the higher tax rate does not mean you are well paid or does not mean you are not already struggling, possibly struggling more than people on lower wages due to having higher outgoings like bigger mortgages etc as a hangover from better times a few years ago and for those that do work hard and do have disposable income how on earth is it fair to take more off them than the already extortionate rate they are on while watching people on the lower rate being put on an even lower tax rate. Its bo**ocks.
    Sorry I didn't realise people on the standard rate of tax didn't have to pay excess fuel costs, car tax, services overpriced, products overpriced.

Forget everything I said so.

If a person has more disposable income they tend to spend more on goods and services and also on more expensive goods which inturn give a higher tax take to the government. If disposable income goes down so will spending on expensive goods and in turn tax take will go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

A lot of politicians and their grubby little mates are landlords

not going to happen

As far as i know using the empty houses for social housing has been promised but i agree it's still not going to happen.

It's sad to think there isn't even a point in this country anymore where something is so blatantly and ridiculously wrong there has to be at least a pretense of correcting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

This year's Budget should be tough on EVERYONE!!!

Except me. And my friends.

- Said everyone, every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The government should declare war on tooth decay.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Frankly that is nonsense, just because your on the higher tax rate does not mean you are well paid or does not mean you are not already struggling, possibly struggling more than people on lower wages due to having higher outgoings like bigger mortgages etc as a hangover from better times a few years ago and for those that do work hard and do have disposable income how on earth is it fair to take more off them than the already extortionate rate they are on while watching people on the lower rate being put on an even lower tax rate. Its bo**ocks.

As pointed out previously, you will also pay a reduced rate up to €32,800. So it will balance itself out. unless you go way beyond €60,000 and in that case you should be able to deal with a small reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

The government would like this thread. Divide and conquer. It always works. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

get rid of artist tax breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

copeyhagen wrote: »
    get rid of artist tax breaks.

That i can agree with.

As pointed out previously, you will also pay a reduced rate up to €32,800. So it will balance itself out. unless you go way beyond €60,000 and in that case you should be able to deal with a small reduction.

Why should someone on 60k+ who is already shouldering a much higher tax burden shoulder even more just because they are successful. The point of being successful is to have more money to spend on yourself and your family not pay more money in tax to subsidise other people who pay less. Its totally unfair.

The amount of deductions from the gross pay of someone already who is on 60k+ is frightening and there are people wanting to increase the tax more. It can only be seen as begrudgery imo.

Also before I'm accused of looking out for myself I'm currently a postgrad student so don't even earn enough to pay tax.

Why should someone on 60k+ who is already shouldering a much higher tax burden shoulder even more just because they are successful. The point of being successful is to have more money to spend on yourself and your family not pay more money in tax to subsidise other people who pay less. Its totally unfair.

The amount of deductions from the gross pay of someone already who is on 60k+ is frightening and there are people wanting to increase the tax more. It can only be seen as begrudgery imo.

Also before I'm accused of looking out for myself I'm currently a postgrad student so don't even earn enough to pay tax.

Do you not understand that if there is less money in the economy, there will be less opportunity to earn salaries over 60K. Begrudgery doesnt come into it, its about sustainability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Abolish all the freebies, Free ESB,Free Travel,Free TV Licience,Free line rental on the Phone, Free Doctor on the medical card.
    By all means offer a reduced price to certain means tested catagories, but no more automatic freebies just because you are on the pension, or on disability!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are people on the higher rate not spending their money in the local economy then?
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/270m-slump-in-crossborder-shopping-16188555.html
    Indeed, during a strike by more than 250,000 public sector workers in the Republic in November 2009 there was a five-mile traffic tailback on the road to Newry as striking workers chose shopping over picketing — an event that was much-publicised in the media.
    Its now down to £100m
    many luxury goods are imported
    SKY subscriptions are exported
    people on the bread line spend money rather than investing it

Just to point out, for a single person on €60k a year, their effective tax rate is 30.3%. (Net income = €43,475 ) Hardly frightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I think there should be a flat rate of tax for all earners, with zero tax free allowance (tax credits).

Do you not understand that if there is less money in the economy, there will be less opportunity to earn salaries over 60K. Begrudgery doesnt come into it, its about sustainability.

Why is it the people who earn a bit more that your targeting, while at the same time reducing the tax burden on those who already contribute much less. Its always people who earn more that people want to target. Why not cut the dole for all the wasters (not people who genuinely deserve it) who contribute nothing rather than targeting those who are already paying a higher proportion of there salary back to the government.

Just to point out, for a single person on €60k a year, their effective tax rate is 30.3%. (Net income = €43,475 ) Hardly frightning.

What about all the other deductions?

Ive seen pay slips when a bonus was involved for instance where the deduction figure is higher than the net pay figure. How on earth is that right to have more than 50% of your gross pay taken in deductions.

Why is it the people who earn a bit more that your targeting, while at the same time reducing the tax burden on those who already contribute much less. Its always people who earn more that people want to target. Why not cut the dole for all the wasters (not people who genuinely deserve it) who contribute nothing rather than targeting those who are already paying a higher proportion of there salary back to the government.

What about all the other deductions?

Ive seen pay slips when a bonus was involved for instance where the deduction figure is higher than the net pay figure. How on earth is that right to have more than 50% of your gross pay taken in deductions.

I'm not targeting anyone, its about getting money into the economy. That dole money goes straight back into the local economy more often than not.

A bonus situation is not a normal circumstance and that 30.3% figure includes income tax, prsi and universal social charge.

If 60k does not give you a net income that's high enough, work harder and earn more!

• Advertisement

I'm not targeting anyone, its about getting money into the economy. That dole money goes straight back into the local economy more often than not.

A bonus situation is not a normal circumstance and that 30.3% figure includes income tax, prsi and universal social charge.

If 60k does not give you a net income that's high enough, work harder and earn more!

I'm getting a figure of 39.9k take home, then you would have a further deduction of the pension levy if you are public service.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if they have pension , health insurance , interest relief etc. it's even lower

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

You're probably also bending over aren't you?

Advertisement