Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls for a tougher Budget

Options
  • 08-11-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

I read this morning that there are calls for a tougher budget as growth figures have been downcasted. So what these morons think, is that, our economy is not growing as predicted, so lets take more money out of the peoples pocket to fix it.

We could increase the higher rate of tax (to 46%) and decrease the lower rate (to 15%). My take on this, is that people on the higher rate would be on at least €32800 and are likely to have some disposable income (I understand this may not apply in all cases) but people on the lower rate would in turn then have some disposable income that in all likelyhood be spent in the local economy. (Im assuming that there are more people paying tax at the standard rate than the higher rate these days, so tax intake would be down this year but if the economy got a boost this would be offset by revenue generated from businesses in there tax returns.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

I take it you earn under 32800 then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm not a mentalist but I can deduct that the OP isn't in the higher tax band.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

To be perfectly honest we do need a tougher budget. Most of the time we skirt around the major cash cows, but first we need to actually cut some of the expenditure accounts of politicians/public servants that are ancient and serve no purpose anymore.

I would love to see the government step in and go *yoink* to all the Oil and Gas fields when they are developed, or in some other legal way like increasing the taxes the firms pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

What I earn is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Why dont we just hand out gold bars to all those on "low incomes" and have public floggings of those with the cheek to earn more than the industrial average?

A bit extreme, I know but I'm soooooo tired of this resentment towards high earners. (btw I am not a high earner...yet!! lol):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Are people on the higher rate not spending their money in the local economy then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Cuts all sides is all I ask for.

mkdon05 wrote: »

It's pretty relevant to the topic mate.

Can somebody open a book on whether OP earns less than 32800?

Im betting 1/3 Yes

7/4 No

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

R0ot wrote: »

I would love to see the government step in and go *yoink* to all the Oil and Gas fields when they are developed, or in some other legal way like increasing the taxes the firms pay.

Post of the day IMHO :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

g'wan the tougher budget

It is very very very very relevant. So relevant, in fact, that is the most relevant point in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yes lets take more money out of the real economy

that will lead to more growth won't it:rolleyes:

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Post of the day IMHO :pac:

heh, yeah I do wish we'd just go the way of Norway with regards to this stuff.... but oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

I read this morning that there are calls for a tougher budget as growth figures have been downcasted. So what these morons think, is that, our economy is not growing as predicted, so lets take more money out of the peoples pocket to fix it.

We could increase the higher rate of tax (to 46%) and decrease the lower rate (to 15%). My take on this, is that people on the higher rate would be on at least €32800 and are likely to have some disposable income (I understand this may not apply in all cases) but people on the lower rate would in turn then have some disposable income that in all likelyhood be spent in the local economy. (Im assuming that there are more people paying tax at the standard rate than the higher rate these days, so tax intake would be down this year but if the economy got a boost this would be offset by revenue generated from businesses in there tax returns.)

we need three tax bands (for low, middle and high incomes) which no government has the balls to introduce imo, i earn circa 40k so i would not be happy with paying 46% tax , anyway i have very little disposable income left over most times as it is

Are people on the higher rate not spending their money in the local economy then?

Yes they are
    If you read my full post you will see that I am saying that there are more people on the lower rate and this would free up more money for the local economy. People on the higher rate are still going to be able to contribute to the local economy. Now we have both sets spending some money in suffering businesses.
    Its about trying to grow the economy organically.

(For anyone saying I have something against high earners, I pay tax at the higher rate myself. Its not all about me though, Its about fixing our country.
    All too often its a case of 'Im alright Jack so F**K you)

Yes they are
    If you read my full post you will see that I am saying that there are more people on the lower rate and this would free up more money for the local economy. People on the higher rate are still going to be able to contribute to the local economy. Now we have both sets spending some money in suffering businesses.
    Its about trying to grow the economy organically.

(For anyone saying I have something against high earners, I pay tax at the higher rate myself. Its not all about me though, Its about fixing our country.
    All too often its a case of 'Im alright Jack so F**K you)
    There's nothing stopping you paying more tax if you want.

• Administrators Posts: 53,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

:pac:

15%, away and take your head for a sh!te.

How about we lower the higher band and let the people who earn more money spend more money?

It's the average / mid range earners who are shafted by the current system. Not the low earners or the super rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

I know it's been covered before but they really gotta start tackling the public service. I know there's some lower paid roles but in general public service salaries are ludicrous in this country.

This government has cosied up to the public service in the same way the last crowd did to the property developers and bankers. Not giving a ****e what state it leaves the country in so long as it keeps them in power.

Sure, ul have people on saying they took a five or ten percent cut. Big whoopie. Private sectors earnings have plummeted in the same time. I was listening to a radio show a few months back and they were on about lecturers salaries in this country and yes there huge but when i did a google search, college librarians are on the same rates 130k per year or so for a librarian!? Wtf?

And then we're paying ex-public servants huge pensions and in some cases paying them off early so they stop working. What a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

All we hear is cut, cut, cut. We have fragile recovery with growth forecast. Enough cutting. How about generating generating cash? Create employment by building thousands of wave generators round the coast, become energy self-sufficient and sell off the surplus to the brits.

Only that's too intelligent for the teachers, farmers and publicans we have in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Its relevant if you want anybody to take your post with any seriousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

1. Dole should be cut drastically but gradually. I.e 10 euro per week now. Then 5 euro per week in 3 months and then 5 euro per week in 6 months.

2. The savings should be used to decrease taxes and levies that people on lower incomes pay to increase the gap between minimum wage and the top level of the dole.

3. People on the dole more than 6 years should have their dole reduced more severely. There are about 150,000 of them. They didn't work during the period of "full employment" because they didn't want to or because they had a job off the books and used the dole as an extra income.

The above wouldn't take any money out of the economy. It would however make the prospect of work more enticing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

For a country that is broke we sure seem to be able to piss money away.

Anyone wrote: »
    Its relevant if you want anybody to take your post with any seriousness.

And answered 10 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

There should be a descending scale of cuts in public service wages, starting at 70-80% for some of the highest earners.

Of course that won't happen with the shower we have in power now, we'll just keep building more and more and more debt. Far more dept know on government spending than even the bank bailout. We're being scammed all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

What we should do is import 10,000 tonnes of sand from Iraq. We then place the sand somewhere and dig for oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

That little?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

We don't need more taxes, we need less spending on pure sh!te

• Advertisement

So just to help me grasp this

You think the way forward is just to flog the high earners.Aybody earning over 33k because they have more reddies?

Advertisement