Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long have you been employed-What degree do you have(if any)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Lunni wrote: »
    No less than 25 positions? Since the end of August? And you think that's a lot? :confused:

I apply for over 10 jobs a week (sometimes many more) and some of those require long, online application forms where you need to write mini-essays. I rarely hear anything back and I have a degree, a Master's, quite a bit of good experience and several foreign languages. There's just a lot of competition out there, it's an employers' market! If you think 25 applications in several months is a lot, you're not being very realistic about the job market, IMO. Oh and BTW, I do have a full-time job as well so it's not like I'm sitting around with nothing else to do but job search!

I would sort of agree. I'm in a full-time job, but want something new. I've applied for 12 jobs this week alone.... Probably about 40 jobs in the last month!

You have to sit down and fire off a bunch of applications a couple of times a week in order to even had a chance. I've had one call to an interview....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Upper second class BA in Natural Sciences from TCD. In my current job 8 months. It is directly related to my degree. I fought for this job, and was most definitely a bit pushy. Wouldn't have got it otherwise. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

I would sort of agree. I'm in a full-time job, but want something new. I've applied for 12 jobs this week alone.... Probably about 40 jobs in the last month!

You have to sit down and fire off a bunch of applications a couple of times a week in order to even had a chance. I've had one call to an interview....
    From reading posts such as this my mind is made up, seeing as its an employers market I think the best solution is to go it alone, once my postgrad is over im going to set up my own business, Im not begging someone for a job, anyone with me?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I graduated from the school of hard knocks

And have a HDip from the university of getting the sh1t kicked out of me.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    You can't collect the dole and be in college. It's not allowed. Also it wouldn't be enough to both pay for a Master's and live on even if you could do that.

You also aren't entitled to any grants for 'additional' degrees unless you qualify for BTEA which is hard to get unless you have been unemployed for over a year and you are applying to progress along the scale. It's also not a huge amount.

The people who are busy working are getting paid and gaining experience (and these days experience is usually worth more than a degree). A lot of people who go back to college to get extra qualifications are struggling. They may have to pay significant fees and must have money to live on despite not qualifying for the dole or any grants. For those who do get grants, it can still be a struggle as the amounts are small and they have to live on it all year, probably having to pay for food, rent, heating and electricity bills and college books.

They have resorted to this because they can't find work. If the end goal is work, then how are they in a better position than those who are currently employed? Even on graduation their extra degrees may not get them any work at all.
    you can collect dole while in college and also I find your post to be very pessimistic, we need positivity these days, we will be ok in the end, recessions dont last forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

you can collect dole while in college and also I find your post to be very pessimistic, we need positivity these days, we will be ok in the end, recessions dont last forever.

You cannot collect the dole while in college. Source? You just simply aren't entitled to the dole while in education.

My response was realistic imo and in response to another poster who seems to think people in college are coasting along getting money off the state when in actuality a lot (not all but a significant amount all the same) of people are struggling to go to/stay in college.

I agree it's good to be positive but really that post needed that kind of response.

You cannot collect the dole while in college. Source? You just simply aren't entitled to the dole while in education.

My response was realistic imo and in response to another poster who seems to think people in college are coasting along getting money off the state when in actuality a lot (not all but a significant amount all the same) of people are struggling to go to/stay in college.

I agree it's good to be positive but really that post needed that kind of response.

if you are a part time student you can, FACT.
    You have to look on the bright side if you can, from reading many posts on this iv seen that people without even a leaving cert are doing very well for themselves(own businesses etc ..) so someone with good qualifications should certainly be entitled to be positive about their future, especially as we dont have to stay in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I just got my Bsc Hons in Software Engineering and have been in full time employment since about a month after my last exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've been employed for about a week now as a bioinformatics researcher in UCC. Unemployed for 3 months before that, and a different kind of bioinformatics researcher at UCC 6 months before that (It's always nice when your final year project supervisor approaches you and says "would you like to come back in 3 months to do the same thing but for money?"). Contract work, so no real job security, aside from being about the only one in the building with the know-how to do what they want done, and the fact that they'd advertised the post for nearly a year without success.

I have a Degree in marine science, a higher diploma in applied microbiology, and a masters in bioinformatics and systems biology. I intend to get a PhD in something similar, and this job should help get me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Worked since I left scool in 1980. All sorts of different jobs. Spent 10 years in Holland where I picked up the lingo and got a degree in art. Never had a job in the arts but I just did it because I've always liked the arts. Came back to Ireland in 98 and was on the dole for about two weeks. Hated it. Got a job in customer service and been doing that ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Started out on an engineering degree, though could only hack 2 years of it before I decided it really wasnt for me. Swapped over to computer science (unfortunately didnt recognise anything I'd done to date, so back to square one with 4 year ahead of me). Ploughed ahead though and enjoyed it much more.
    Part of the BSc degree was on placement, and they kept me on part time afterwards, and I stayed with them till work/funding dried up about 6 months after graduating. Think I was about 2 weeks unemployed, and am in current job now for about 4 years now

Have been incredibly lucky mind you - was definitely in the right place a number of times in the last decade

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

if you are a part time student you can, FACT.
    You have to look on the bright side if you can, from reading many posts on this iv seen that people without even a leaving cert are doing very well for themselves(own businesses etc ..) so someone with good qualifications should certainly be entitled to be positive about their future, especially as we dont have to stay in Ireland.

So you agree a full-time student can't? I find it hard to believe part-time students can. Nothing came up when I googled it. Why would they be entitled to payments? Can you provide a source for your FACT?

I agree it's good to be positive however the reality is that there are huge numbers of highly qualified people who can't get jobs. Many have already emigrated and many more will do so. Yeah it's great to be able to find work abroad but sadly a lot of these people were forced into it because Ireland
    has nothing to offer the majority of graduates at the moment. Hopefully things will improve and I am glad for anyone who does manage to secure work here at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Lucky enough to have been in employment always, apart from a stint self employed (by choice). Have a cert, degree, postgrad. Work in communications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

I smoked too much pot in college and never really did finish anything but now I've a sweet job in

So you agree a full-time student can't? I find it hard to believe part-time students can. Nothing came up when I googled it. Why would they be entitled to payments? Can you provide a source for your FACT?

I agree it's good to be positive however the reality is that there are huge numbers of highly qualified people who can't get jobs. Many have already emigrated and many more will do so. Yeah it's great to be able to find work abroad but sadly a lot of these people were forced into it because Ireland
    has nothing to offer the majority of graduates at the moment. Hopefully things will improve and I am glad for anyone who does manage to secure work here at the moment.
    no idea if a full time student can or can not get the dole, so i cant agree.bte allowance is more or less getting the dole while in full time education.
    I know a few people who get the dole and are part time students, thats my source.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

no idea if a full time student can or can not get the dole, so i cant agree.bte allowance is more or less getting the dole while in full time education.
    I know a few people who get the dole and are part time students, thats my source.

Yeah it the dole under a different name. I wek as a mature student my dole became a VTOS payment, I think the name has change a few times. I was a full time student, worked part time and got my dole payment at one stage. Though this was a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I work "on the Internet". No degree. Have only ever been out of work by choice (travelling, arseing about at the end of my teens, etc).

Although the majority of the work I've done has been self-driven, so I've not had to 'apply' to many employers or compete with other job candidates (when you present yourself as a professional offering a service, as opposed to a potential employee seeking a job, nobody asks for your qualifications. It's entirely about your skills, portfolio, and aforementioned professionalism).

While I've always managed at least well enough, I do occasionally wonder if the time were to come where a steady and increased wage were preferable, how would I get on with employers. I reliably believe experience is highly valued in the work I do. I also wouldn't mind having a Computer Science degree in the back pocket for a rainy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

areyawell wrote: »
    Always wondered about the amount unemployed on the dole(including myself but gone back to do my masters with springboard). Just wondering what degrees/courses people have(if any) and how long ye have been on the dole just to see how truly fu**ed this country is with job prospects.

Why don't you and all of the other 'highly educated' unemployed posters on this forum actually do something constructive and CREATE your own job.

FFS why sit around complaining about the state of the country. Do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

How do you create a job successfully?
    So you have been living off benefits for 13 years?
    13 years of hunting and you cannot get a successful interview?
    13 years and you cannot be arsed looking for work in a different field?
    Thank christ I dont pay Irish tax anymore.
    He has a disability.

I notice a lot of the people who don't have a degree qualifying it with passive-aggressive "fancy college" (fancy? :confused:), "college was for rich people during the first recession", "it's just a bit of paper", "you don't need a degree", "a masters won't teach you commonsense" (as if you can't have both) comments - ye're gas!
    Or claiming that because they had the luck to get really far without a degree, it's therefore the same for anyone else. Nothing wrong with having no third level qualifications of course but being dismissive of it comes across as protesting too much. And you do need a degree at least for many jobs, simple as that. I dropped out of college too for a bit - and I'm so glad I went back. You don't always need a degree/postgrad, but it's better to have one than not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Madam_X wrote: »

He has a disability.

I notice a lot of the people who don't have a degree qualifying it with passive-aggressive "fancy college" (fancy? :confused:), "college was for rich people during the first recession", "it's just a bit of paper", "you don't need a degree", "a masters won't teach you commonsense" (as if you can't have both) comments - ye're gas!
    Or claiming that because they had the luck to get really far without a degree, it's therefore the same for anyone else. Nothing wrong with having no third level qualifications of course but being dismissive of it comes across as protesting too much. And you do need a degree at least for many jobs, simple as that. I dropped out of college too for a bit - and I'm so glad I went back. You don't always need a degree/postgrad, but it's better to have one than not.

I havent seen that attitude (much) in this thread.

In an ideal world, it is better to have one than not, and as time goes on this will become even more of a necessity, however some of the best and most helpful/knowledgeable people I have worked with had and still have no formal college education. They may find it hard moving around or countries but the NATURAL skills they have would allow them to pick up things far quicker than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I did a trade.
    Back in my day collage wasn't an option (for me) due to family finance restrictions, and me not really being bothered too much, plenty of others in a similar position went and fair play to them.
    I've only ever been out of work once in 23 years, for about 3 months in 2002.
    I'm in my current job since then.
    Every job I've had has been because of my trade and the experience I've gained along the way but I don't work in the field I'm qualified in.
    Any qualification trade, degree, l.c. , Masters, PHD, all of them are only a gateway to employment, your make your own way after that.
    But, it is becoming increasing difficult to even get your foot in the door with anything less than a degree.
    Is this right?
    I don't think so but from an employers perspective there has to be some easily recognised benchmark for candidates and a degree, if nothing else, shows a level of commitment, a sense of stability.
    I work with people with varying qualifications, some better than others but everyone has their own particular skills that they bring to the workplace.

I've also gone back and done a completely unrelated degree course through the OU just to keep my brain active.
    I do know that I would like my kids to get a good qualification, however they go about it.
    I also believe that collage courses undertaken later in life, when you know a little bit more, stand to you.
    18 is too young to truly know what you want.
    Just my thoughts.

Degree in Science. Have worked in science without any periods of unemployment since I graduated, 6 years ago. Am in my current position 4 years. I have also completed my Masters while working full time.

While in school and college I also worked part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Madam_X wrote: »

He has a disability.

I think the view has changed some what, I left school at 16 with nothing. After a few jobs then moving abroad I came home and got the chance to return to education.

None of my mates/family had been to third level at that stage. Got my degree then my masters, in the last twenty years the amount of mature students has dramatically increased. The down side [if you can call it that] is the qualification inflation most people have some type of post-grad qualification nowadays.

I do concur though I really encourage everybody to access third level if possible and then go on to do post-grad if possible. It really is beeter to have than have not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I have a BSc in I.T, a few certs and few diplomas. I finished my degree this year, in Waterford, while working full-time (retail) in Kilkenny and living in Carlow.

Still, I got through it after some rough times but I just started a new job two weeks ago and I have been working from home for the whole two weeks.
    Happy days? Justice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I think people are misinterpreting what I meant in the Original Post, what I meant that I'm finding it difficult to get a job with a degree so decided to try and better myself with a masters. With the masters I probably still won't get a job or maybe I will, who knows.

I'm not bragging that I'm gone back to college but was just wondering do people with Masters still find it hard to get a job.

I know college isn't for everyone or that you don't need a degree to get a good job and most successful people never attended one in there life. They make there own way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Have been self-employed for over a year. Dropped out of DCU and moved to another country because, well, Europe rocks.

Going back to college next year, doing an arts only so I can charge my clients more money and get away with it. And buy more cake.

Mmm. Cake.

areyawell wrote: »
    I think people are misinterpreting what I meant in the Original Post, what I meant that I'm finding it difficult to get a job with a degree so decided to try and better myself with a masters. With the masters I probably still won't get a job or maybe I will, who knows.

I'm not bragging that I'm gone back to college but was just wondering do people with Masters still find it hard to get a job.

I know college isn't for everyone or that you need one to get a good job and most successful people never attended one in there life. They make there own way

As stated I got my masters while working. It certainly has opened up opportunities in my current position but I believe this is more to the fact that I completed a masters while working, rather than the actual masters itself. I've also been contacted directly to attend interviews for positions in companies I haven't even applied to.

I guess the old adage is true...once in a job you'll come across another quite easily, but if unemployed it's much more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I'm an accountant. I've been on the dole this time for almost a year now. I've been on the dole three times since 2008 with a few temporary part-time job in between. I haven't worked full time since 2008. I can't find any full time accountancy jobs at all - the majority of the jobs out there are only offering 3 day work weeks at the most. I'd consider immigrating but my health isn't the best right now. Until that's sorted I can't go nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm a full time college student, studying a BA (honours) in Law. Don't particularly enjoy it but I want to get it out of the way.

Worked part time in retail from the age of 16-21, and was unemployed for a few months until I started my new job last month.

Advertisement