Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long have you been employed-What degree do you have(if any)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

BSc in Computer Science.

It works, bitches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Well I'm not working at the moment but apparently I'm not unemployed and won't show up on any statistics. I'm not entitled to the dole, have zero income and will have for the next few months and maybe beyond. I have a five figure sum on my bank statement with a minus sign in front of it. I have a tax bill I cannot pay and a credit card statement that tells me if I only pay the minimum amount each. It'll be cleared in full in 2049.

Luckily my wife has a good job so I sponge off her.

Life is good. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Almost 3 years, no degree completed, started at the bottom of the ladder and currently hold the highest title I can in my department.

Wonderful what unemployment and a baby on the way can spur you on to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I haven't got a degree, I'm just working as an assistant, i learn more then I could ever learn sitting in a classroom listening to some one teach, other then that I've got qualification in sound engineering, adventure sports and and one in media, but I prefer working as an assistant you learn so much more on the job.. Any one can get a degree its a generic way of saying yes your a sheep and you learned the institutional way..

Its also nice to see something walk away and then ask a few days later did you do this because of this? and kinda work things out...
    I just find the hole process more satisfying, and i get payed nicely too :cool:

But have no relevant experience bar your few months mandatory experience... Which never really accounts for anything...
    Truthfully a degree means nothing its just a fancy peace of paper unless its stuff like mental health, health, doctors and stuff like that well they really do need to lern that ****...

How ever you can leanr more on the job then in college/Uni...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Blurb warning....

Been working full time since '96 when I was doing LC. No college degree thus far. Worked in bars, kart tracks, worked as a race driving instructor, worked in electronics retail, circuit board repair, mechanic odds and end as well as IT/Server admin/systems type work. Setup a small IT small company in '03, sold it in 06 and moved to the US. Spent a while arsing around in the US, worked as a line tech at an airport for about 6months (fellah with the glowy wands).
    Then started as a lowly service desk fellah in a large healthcare org. Kept my head down, grafted hard, learned the business and its systems and how I can influence them. Still with that healthcare org after 5 years. Now I work as an IS business & systems analyst for a leading surgery dept. Basically pushing the larger org for change and advancement so that our IS systems meet the standards that our clinical ones demand.

Decided to go to college for Nursing in the last few days. Need to break the monotony of IS related stuff. Its very cyclical....
    Figured studying computers/IT would frustrate the piss out of me having to listen to lectures about stuff that has little bearing in the real world and business courses don't really translate into a real-world qualifications. Nursing however does, and my knowledge in that area is low enough that I will be able to drink the cool aide, learn something new and stay engaged.
    Goal in a few years is to have a clinical background as an RN that I can combine with my technical\IT\systems and business experience in healthcare which should be a powerful combo. Even if I decide fook it I just want to be a nurse (unlikely) I could make a decent living from that so I will have added a degree and a new potential career path that augments what I already have.

I think a universal rule you can apply is that a willingness to be versatile is key to staying employed and staying interested in what you do. Versitility is much more important than a degree IMO.

I did have about 9months of unemployment in 02-03ish but I was still wheeling and dealing computer odd's and ends to make a few quid here and there. I was stuck in limbo, underqualified for what I wanted to do and overqualfied in ways that made it hard to convince employees that I would stay on board with them. In some ways I'm still trapped in that kind of limbo, but at least I'm making decent money in the meantime.

*** Really I'm just a hack and what I posted may be a complete a load of sh1e :d

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

In the middle of an Information Technology degree. Worked a couple of Waiter/Lounge staff jobs, but unemployed at the moment.

Can't say it's all that exciting, but fingers crossed I'll be well sought after this degree is written in ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Technically never been unemployed, left work to do a degree, will finish that this May and looking to go into a Management Graduate program (hopefully Musgrave Supply Chain).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I've never been unemployed.

I got a diploma in business studies (which is in reality as pathetic as it sounds) at night-time while i was working.

Now i'm study 'full-time' but work remotely for a software company 20 hours a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I have a diploma in acting, with an ability to teach it. I also studied Science in college, but never finished the degree course due to becoming a family carer. Been working consistently since I was 15 (I'm 23 now). Out of work about 3 months, but starting back in college in January doing a PLC course just to get me used to education again, then on to a degree course in September. Not using BTEA, my lovely parents offered to pay for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

B.A in Journalism, graduated five years ago and working full time, over time, all the time ever since. Three years in Ireland, two years abroad.

Was a 2 month internship that got me my first job and the first job that led me to my second, experience is what counts really in this industry. Really ready to go back to college but the concept of leaving a job & sacrificing work for study is one I constantly struggle with, as the breaks you get into the industry can't really be relied on.

And I need about a year long holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Degree and masters in computer science. Been working full time for in the area since (16 years). Worked part time before then since I was 14...

Getting experience is priceless....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Degree, Masters, PG Diploma, Professional exams, - work for free (not jobbridge, FREE!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sala wrote: »
    Degree, Masters, PG Diploma, Professional exams, - work for free (not jobbridge, FREE!)

Why not ask them to set up jobbridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

I've an acute degree of the ould madness, due to bein cast a drifter so long so pls; leave me here....

save yoreselvvvvvessssss....

Why not ask them to set up jobbridge?

Ah I didn't explain as I wanted you to feel bad for me! I left a job I didn't want to do voluntarily to intern in the area I studied so therefore cannot get social welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Degree in fine art painting, working full time in software licensing for over 4 years. Managing my own team of 40 people now.

And people said painting pictures every day would amount to nothing :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Degree in fine art painting, working full time in software licensing for over 4 years. Managing my own team of 40 people now.

And people said painting pictures every day would amount to nothing :pac:

ah but do you get to do what you love??

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I always dreamed of either being a painter in a studio or some kind of graphic artist. Spend all my youth drawing everything. Loved college, but doing it every day all day I found to get very draining. It can be difficult trying to come up with fresh visual ideas every single day for years on end. You can never really switch off. I needed a break!

On the other hand, I've also always loved technology and am really enjoying doing something completely different to my studies. I always thought 'art' was the only thing I was really capable off - apparently I was wrong.

I'll get back to the painting lark in a few years when I'm a bit more set up in life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I have certificates of excellence to the eight grade in elocution from the Royal Irish Academy. If I had only gone one more level I could have taught it.

I did a TEFL course over a highly extensive two week period once, years ago. Erm, but didn't do any teaching english either.

Oh and I did a teach yourself to type course ( it was a sort of cassette plus booklet thing from Easons). At one stage I was pretty fast.

I did an evening course in pottery once too, but I dropped out after the second evening because, frankly, the person I was partnered with had severe BO. Plus it was really boring; all theory and no practice.

I am highly educated.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Just started first year into a three/four year degree :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Blurb warning....

Been working full time since '96 when I was doing LC. No college degree thus far. Worked in bars, kart tracks, worked as a race driving instructor, worked in electronics retail, circuit board repair, mechanic odds and end as well as IT/Server admin/systems type work. Setup a small IT small company in '03, sold it in 06 and moved to the US. Spent a while arsing around in the US, worked as a line tech at an airport for about 6months (fellah with the glowy wands).
    Then started as a lowly service desk fellah in a large healthcare org. Kept my head down, grafted hard, learned the business and its systems and how I can influence them. Still with that healthcare org after 5 years. Now I work as an IS business & systems analyst for a leading surgery dept. Basically pushing the larger org for change and advancement so that our IS systems meet the standards that our clinical ones demand.

Decided to go to college for Nursing in the last few days. Need to break the monotony of IS related stuff. Its very cyclical....
    Figured studying computers/IT would frustrate the piss out of me having to listen to lectures about stuff that has little bearing in the real world and business courses don't really translate into a real-world qualifications. Nursing however does, and my knowledge in that area is low enough that I will be able to drink the cool aide, learn something new and stay engaged.
    Goal in a few years is to have a clinical background as an RN that I can combine with my technical\IT\systems and business experience in healthcare which should be a powerful combo. Even if I decide fook it I just want to be a nurse (unlikely) I could make a decent living from that so I will have added a degree and a new potential career path that augments what I already have.

I think a universal rule you can apply is that a willingness to be versatile is key to staying employed and staying interested in what you do. Versitility is much more important than a degree IMO.

I did have about 9months of unemployment in 02-03ish but I was still wheeling and dealing computer odd's and ends to make a few quid here and there. I was stuck in limbo, underqualified for what I wanted to do and overqualfied in ways that made it hard to convince employees that I would stay on board with them. In some ways I'm still trapped in that kind of limbo, but at least I'm making decent money in the meantime.

*** Really I'm just a hack and what I posted may be a complete a load of sh1e :d
    That's actually a fascinating post, would make a lot of people (myself included) put their career/education into perspective.

Best of luck with your future plans, sounds like an interesting combo, reminds me of a chat I had with an old doctor about the technology industry impact on medicine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

hiram wrote: »
    No degree, been employed all my live. One should be flexible in work, hours, ability to change, enthusiasm for learning and willing to except a lower wage for long term employment. Had two people started last year and they hadn't a clue..not event the basics in workplace savvy and how to "play the game"...no masters is going to teach you that.

dont be jealous of people with masters, Im sure you hadnt a clue either when you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I had my first job at 14, had two attempts at college and finished it the last time about 12 years ago. I am thinking of going back to study par time again.

My husband has a degree in civil engineering and had been unemployed at 3 different time though not for long, until this present rescission he has had to go back to the UK to get work this time.

My first husband started an apprenticeship at 14 and has been working at various jobs for the past 50 years:eek:

My oldest daughter has a degree and has never been unemployed.
    My youngest daughter droped out of college and got a job she is going back to college.

All my siblings bare one have degrees and non have every been unemployed for long.

Luck and circumstance have more to do with how things work out that any degree but the higher the educating you have the more likely you are to be employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

I am in college studying for a degree at the moment. I'm pretty stupid so i know if i by some miracle i complete the course ill just end up on the dole, especially when the other students will have better grades.

Its something to work towards though so that's enough for now and its pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I'm 20 I always hated school, however I finished my leaving cert (just). While in school I worked weekends and holidays in a pet shop. Then when school finished the weekend job finished aswell.

I signed on and have done several fas courses and had a temp job at 'city post' but if i'm honest i'd say i'v been unemployed for the best part of 2 years now :o:o

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

BSc and MSc in computer science. First job at age 15, worked part-time while in school and college, summer research after 2nd year, full time tech support while on a year out from college before final year, 2 years of maths geek QA after finishing my masters, and now working as a software developer. Haven't really ever been out of education or work for more than about 6 weeks at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

UCDVet wrote: »
    I can't fault anyone for availing of additional education while collecting the dole....but, at the same time, I really feel for the people who are working low paying, unrewarding jobs.

I mean, long term, if I'm unemployed and collecting the dole and using that to allow me to attend school, learn new skills, go to uni full-time and then in 2-3 years be in a situation where I'm some sort of high paid engineer....that's great - for me. But is it fair?

What about all the people who were working their low-paying, dead-end job? They can't go to school because they're too busy working and paying taxes. And in three years, they'll just be three years older. Still working a dead-end job for low pay.

To be honest; I'd love nothing more than to get a Masters degree while collecting the dole. I mean, I'd do it starting today if I could.

UCDVet wrote: »

A large part of the education inflation is made possible by people getting additional degrees whist on the dole :( They end up being the competition for those were too busy working full-time to get additional degrees.

You can't collect the dole and be in college. It's not allowed. Also it wouldn't be enough to both pay for a Master's and live on even if you could do that.

You also aren't entitled to any grants for 'additional' degrees unless you qualify for BTEA which is hard to get unless you have been unemployed for over a year and you are applying to progress along the scale. It's also not a huge amount.

The people who are busy working are getting paid and gaining experience (and these days experience is usually worth more than a degree). A lot of people who go back to college to get extra qualifications are struggling. They may have to pay significant fees and must have money to live on despite not qualifying for the dole or any grants. For those who do get grants, it can still be a struggle as the amounts are small and they have to live on it all year, probably having to pay for food, rent, heating and electricity bills and college books.

They have resorted to this because they can't find work. If the end goal is work, then how are they in a better position than those who are currently employed? Even on graduation their extra degrees may not get them any work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Engineering degree. 10 years on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Papa_Bear wrote: »
    Yes I have and still looking.....

Reckon i'll stop looking within next five years as my age will just make it impossible.

Been looking for business ideas too but they are thin on the ground and so is my imagination and creativity at this stage.

So you have been living off benefits for 13 years?

13 years of hunting and you cannot get a successful interview?

13 years and you cannot be arsed looking for work in a different field?

Thank christ I dont pay Irish tax anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lunni

Have to agree. I've 7 years experience in my current position learning everything I know from hands on experience and I'm currently supervisor of a team of 16. I started looking for something new at the end of August and have applied for no less than 25 positions. Of those only 2 people bothered to acknowledge receipt of my application and only one recruiter bothered to arrange to meet me last week. I'm convinced its because I don't have a recognized qualification. I even applied for one or two junior positions to see if I could get some sort of feedback but nothing.

No less than 25 positions? Since the end of August? And you think that's a lot? :confused:

I apply for over 10 jobs a week (sometimes many more) and some of those require long, online application forms where you need to write mini-essays. I rarely hear anything back and I have a degree, a Master's, quite a bit of good experience and several foreign languages. There's just a lot of competition out there, it's an employers' market! If you think 25 applications in several months is a lot, you're not being very realistic about the job market, IMO. Oh and BTW, I do have a full-time job as well so it's not like I'm sitting around with nothing else to do but job search!

Advertisement