Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long have you been employed-What degree do you have(if any)

Options
  • 08-11-2012 4:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Always wondered about the amount unemployed on the dole(including myself but gone back to do my masters with springboard). Just wondering what degrees/courses people have(if any) and how long ye have been on the dole just to see how truly fu**ed this country is with job prospects.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I graduated from the school of hard knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Beer. now there's a temporary solution.

*smashes open piggy bank*

Not even enough for one lousy beer.

Wait a minute better make sure.

*checks*

Not even close

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Since 18, no degree, didn't pay any attention in college nor did I really like the field. I got lucky with a job and worked my way up and now have more than enough experience in my particular field that I don't need a degree.

Having said that the biggest pain in the hole is not potential employment but not being able to move to other countries as easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

I've a Dip. in HR, a Cert. in H&S and I've been working since 1998 with approx. 7 months of unemployment. My current job might not be my favourite, but it does keep the roof over my head, keeps me fed, equipped and entertained. In short, I'm lucky and grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Papa_Bear wrote: »
    Beer. now there's a temporary solution.

*smashes open piggy bank*

Not even enough for one lousy beer.

Wait a minute better make sure.

*checks*

Not even close
    It was funny at the start when people referenced homer but now its just annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Oh Im sorry I didn't realise this was a serious discussion(no jokes allowed).:(

Well lets see here. I've been unemployed for a grand total of 13 years :confused: and still looking 'cause there's nothing else in this life to do.

Thinking of going back to college for the 3rd time next year.

Is that better?

I thought a little humour would be better than a moan:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Unemployed about a year :o went back to college in September so here's hoping there's something after that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

areyawell wrote: »
    Always wondered about the amount unemployed on the dole(including myself but gone back to do my masters with springboard). Just wondering what degrees/courses people have(if any) and how long ye have been on the dole just to see how truly fu**ed this country is with job prospects.

So because you have completed a masters this entitles you to a job?

Because you can't get a job the country is f:ucked?

Get real

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

trodsky wrote: »

Get real

No I'm doing the masters because I cant get a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I have a masters and I have been working since I was thirteen.

The two are absolutely and completely unrelated.

• Advertisement

Commerce degree.. Got 25 months employment out of it and now never want to use it again. Been teaching english for 18 months and way prefer it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I had lots of masters, But that was back in the day before they were renamed teachers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Well lets see here. I've been unemployed for a grand total of 13 years :confused: and still looking 'cause there's nothing else in this life to do.

Is that better?

Sorry....

You have been unemployed for THIRTEEN years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

trodsky wrote: »
    The Op does not seem to be saying that at all.
    No, its because the country is fucked, people cant get jobs.
    Get real
    Realising that gaining qualifications will possibly improve job opportunities is doing just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Degree and a masters

Working a "Grown-up" job with 18months but otherwise working since I was 16

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Is that better?

Humour is allowed, but bad humour frowned upon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I can't fault anyone for availing of additional education while collecting the dole....but, at the same time, I really feel for the people who are working low paying, unrewarding jobs.

I mean, long term, if I'm unemployed and collecting the dole and using that to allow me to attend school, learn new skills, go to uni full-time and then in 2-3 years be in a situation where I'm some sort of high paid engineer....that's great - for me. But is it fair?

What about all the people who were working their low-paying, dead-end job? They can't go to school because they're too busy working and paying taxes. And in three years, they'll just be three years older. Still working a dead-end job for low pay.

To be honest; I'd love nothing more than to get a Masters degree while collecting the dole. I mean, I'd do it starting today if I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Humour is allowed, but bad humour frowned upon

If you took away the bad humour - there wouldn't be much left in After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No college education,I could not wait to get out of the classroom into the real world worked summer jobs since i was 13 and full time since 18

Running my own business now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

BSc in Computer Science and BA in Management Information Systems. Been in my current job for almost 4 years. Not paid very well but I do ok.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

no degree
    been working 9months
    400 quid an hour :D
    going college in september though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I studied Business Studies in an IT. Got my degree in 2009. I've never really been unemployed, before or since.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Employed 6 weeks nearly, don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheGez

Got my degree in journalism 2 weeks ago and also have an IT diploma. I have spent 2 weeks on the dole couldn't handle it. If people are willing to work there is work I got a job not related to anything I went to College for and I don't enjoy it one bit, but it puts the drink in my belly and the College life of living on 50 quid a week thought me how to live on a budget so I am living like a king at the moment in a minimum wage job haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Degree in Comp Sci, working since I left secondary school but only in software since I left college (5 1/2 years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Have no degree, and was working 2 jobs for the last 3 years. Have left them now before I start another job in 3 weeks.

Definitely found it easier to get a job while in a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Is that better?

How did you manage to iss the celtic tiger, when any mupper with a pair of boots could have gotten a job on site at least

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Skyflyer1234

Never Finished School (only Junior Cert).

Last Year Done some ****ty FAS Course while being unemployed, wasn't able to be on the dole cause parents earned too much apparently???
    Earlier this year realised that since Im german and speak it fluently I may aswell get a job in IT/Call Centre - Now loving life, been working 7 months inside HP, have enough to enjoy life and got my own apartment etc... couldn't ask for more.

Don't see why people always say how important school/college is when most my friends (some them got fluent 2nd language) have a degree and still can't get a job, if you want something bad enough you'll get it eventually and if not look for something else..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am well educated and have never been unemployed, thank God. I deliberately chose an area with plenty of long term opportunity though (and thankfully that is how it turned out).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

BSc in Software Development, working with 3 years and 1 month.
    Was unemployed when I finished college for 4-5 months.

Advertisement