Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republican Racism

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So basically there's no way to tell how many whites did so yet it seems an acceptable proposition to suggest that a load did because they're racist. .

Have I suggested such? I fail to see why the knickers are getting knotted here.

The history of the Republican party on the matter is well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Do people really think the US is a much more racist place than Ireland.

Maybe they are just more vocal about it because from my experience of Limerick it is a very racist place.

Ireland is racist of course, unfortunately every society is, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves, unfortunately. But there seems to be still a lot of racism in the American south and it's married up to fundamentalist Christianity and severe prejudices.

Nodin wrote: »
    Have I suggested such? I fail to see why the knickers are getting knotted here.

The history of the Republican party on the matter is well known.

I said that the narrative that a bunch of people voted Republican because the Democrats ran a black candidate is an acceptable statement despite no statistical evidence backing it up. On the other hand there's a very strong swing towards the Democrats among black voters when they run a black candidate and that's totally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Gbear wrote: »
    It's hardly a coincidence or because black people are so well informed that 90% of them voted for him.

The wealthy blacks voted for Romney. Plus, Oul Mittens lost the black vote because of his favour-the-rich policies and the fact that mormons think dark skinned people are 'cursed'. There was also a very small minority of blacks who are racist against blacks who voted for Romney.

Why the hell did any woman vote for 'binders-full-of-women-who-belong-in-the-kitchen' Romney? I don't even??

Obama 2016!!

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Indeed. On The Daily Show, they spent a segment finding black people at the republican convention..... They didn't find many amongst the crowd if I remember correctly.

There were 2 blacks. The rest were belligerent, cantankerous old gits, waving their fists, fanatical evangelicals, crazy baptists, racists, bigots and Clint Eastwood.

If that's your party's demographic, you're doing something wrong. If I had to use one word to sum up the crowd at the RNC, it would be 'selfish'.

• Advertisement

I'm amazed more people aren't discussing the effect of the internet on this election. Last time around, everyone was.

Romney got hammered on the internet. He ended up having to constantly talk about all the nasty things his party had said over the prior months, at times, instead of pushing his message forward. Then there was binders full of women...

Obama's campaign utilised the internet to great effect. Obama has a Facebook page, and he did an AMA on reddit.com (reddit is no small site)

Then there was his twitter reply to that very old white man, Clint Eastwood:

obama-tweet.jpg

Romney avoided questions from the media at all costs. And in the end, it cost him dearly.

The internet squeezed the GOP. (just like it does religion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Apparently some of the racist tweeters are now having to face the music:
    There was an abundance of hate speech on Twitter after Obama's reelection, with people hurling violent and racial epithets. Many of those tweeters were teenagers whose public Twitter accounts feature their real names and advertise their participation in the sports programs at their respective high schools. Calls were placed to the principals and superintendents of those schools to find out how calling the president—or any person of color, for that matter—a "******" and a "monkey" jibes with their student conduct code of ethics.

We contacted their school's administrators with the hope that, if their educators were made aware of their students' ignorance, perhaps they could teach them about racial sensitivity. Or they could let them know that while the First Amendment protects their freedom of speech, it doesn't protect them from the consequences that might result from expressing their opinions. (For example, an adult woman is currently being investigated by the Secret Service for calling President Obama a "******" and suggesting he be assassinated on her Facebook page.)

Additionally, several of the teens use imagery of their high schools' sports teams on their Twitter accounts and Facebook pages. If nothing else, it's reasonable to alert administrators to the behavior of the students who are publicly representing their schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Funny how so many people forget Obama is half white ;)

Michelle Obama 2016, America's first real black president :pac:

It is priceless watching the likes of Rush, Trump etc. getting their knickers well and truly in a twist. I think a female black Democrat for president would make their heads explode!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

gvn wrote: »
    The comments are disgusting, but you'll find people who hold such views in all countries and with every variant of political viewpoint imaginable. In this case, I suspect they're trolls looking to cause a kerfuffle and consequently don't deserve recognition.

I agree with the sentiment of one of the remarks where a person says, in a not so polite way, that it is bad for black people to vote for Obama just because he is black. If not voting for a candidate because of his skin colour is racism, then voting for a candidate because of his skin colour is also racism. I've several friends who've said, if they were American, they would have voted for Obama in 2008 just because he was black, which was, at the time, a somewhat popular opinion — "look how progressive I am, voting for a black man." Some people find it difficult to understand that, by the exact same chain of reasoning, if it's okay to vote for a black man because of his colour, then it's okay to vote for a white man because of his colour, and it is okay to not vote for a black man because of his colour. In reality, voting for somebody because he's black or white is just as bad as not voting for somebody because he's black or white. Racism isn't always negative (I won't vote for him), it can be positive (I will vote for him) too.

You put a lot of effort into writing that, but the result is rather simplistic and silly nevertheless.:rolleyes:

Black people are more likely to vote for a Black candidate because they share similar positions in life, not necessarily because they are the same skin colour. They have had the same experiences of authority, wealth distribution and what have you and they know - or at least hope - that the candidate who is like them will also understand their problems better than someone from a completely different socioeconomic background. :)

Voting for someone who has the same origin as you, who has had to deal with the same problems in life is not racism, as you call it. I would call it solidarity.

Look it up. In a dictionary, because I don't think you'll find it in that book of myths called the bible.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I know it's not the point of that article, but I would have thought threatening to kill anyone was a felony...

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    You put a lot of effort into writing that, but the result is rather simplistic and silly nevertheless.:rolleyes:

Black people are more likely to vote for a Black candidate because they share similar positions in life, not necessarily because they are the same skin colour. They have had the same experiences of authority, wealth distribution and what have you and they know - or at least hope - that the candidate who is like them will also understand their problems better than someone from a completely different socioeconomic background. :)

Voting for someone who has the same origin as you, who has had to deal with the same problems in life is not racism, as you call it. I would call it solidarity.

Look it up. In a dictionary, because I don't think you'll find it in that book of myths called the bible.:D

If you find nothing wrong with, say, a black woman voting for a black politician just because he happens to be black — please notice the "just because", it's an important qualifier and I included it for a specific purpose — then you can have no issue with a white man voting for a white politician just because the politician happens to be white, or with a white woman not voting for a black politician solely because the politician happens to be black; you can have no issues with any such decision that is predicated exclusively on race or colour, in fact. I don't necessarily disagree with what you've said, but you've replied to a question I didn't ask.

I know it's not the point of that article, but I would have thought threatening to kill anyone was a felony...
    Judging from all the weed judgments it's only a crime if it's across state lines.
    gvn wrote: »
    If you find nothing wrong with, say, a black woman voting for a black politician just because he happens to be black — please notice the "just because", it's an important qualifier and I included it for a specific purpose — then you can have no issue with a white man voting for a white politician just because the politician happens to be white, or with a white woman not voting for a black politician solely because the politician happens to be black; you can have no issues with any such decision that is predicated exclusively on race or colour, in fact. I don't necessarily disagree with what you've said, but you've replied to a question I didn't ask.
    It's fine when it's not white people though. Racist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

MetalDog wrote: »
    Fuckin' hell . . . . with attitudes like that in the States, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a Second American Civil War.

I wonder though how these rednecks find the time to go on twitter when their usually too busy screwing their own sisters or appearing on Jerry Springer.

Unfortunately, the term "redneck" or "cracker" is an offensive one. Also deemed as racist...

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

[-0-] wrote: »

not a registered voter

714-epic-facepalm.jpg

Advertisement