Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comics on a tablet?

Options
  • 07-11-2012 9:45pm

I was thinking of treating myself to a cheapo tablet just for comics and that. The thing I'm wondering though is that any electronic copies of comics I have look like they'd be too small for easy reading on a 7 inch screen and I don't like the idea of zooming and panning pages on a bus trip, I'd like to just swipe from page to page. Had anyone got experience of a tablet that comics "fit" properly?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I use a 7 inch tablet but to be completely honest you are going to be zooming and panning all over the place, you can get away with the having a single page fit exactly but any page that is 2 pages together, or if the writing is even slightly too small will result in the need to zoom and pan.

However I really don't find it that big a deal, and I kind of thought I would if that's any use. Also there is an android app for comixology if you happen to use that.

I can see myself getting a nexus 10 more or less just for comics.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I use a 7 inch tablet but to be completely honest you are going to be zooming and panning all over the place, you can get away with the having a single page fit exactly but any page that is 2 pages together, or if the writing is even slightly too small will result in the need to zoom and pan.

However I really don't find it that big a deal, and I kind of thought I would if that's any use. Also there is an android app for comixology if you happen to use that.

I can see myself getting a nexus 10 more or less just for comics.
    Yeah I was thinking a 10 inch might be needed. I was messing on a mate's and it was just too small to read easily for anything with a decent amount of text. Looks like the hope of a dead cheap tablet for it is a pipe dream. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thinking of getting a tablet as well and looking at the Nexus 7. I don't mind scrolling so apart from that is it a decent tablet for comics? I just don't want to spending loads when it'll just be used for reading, browsing and probably watching video.

Watched a few clips on youtube of apps like Perfect Viewer and they look to do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

Excellent, another person planning the same purchase for themselves as I am, perhaps we can pool our research and see what's best?

I'm going to buy a tablet this xmas for comics (for me) and ebooks/kindle (for my wife) so I'm not looking for the best of the best. My absolute max spend is €400, though this is a limit not a target!

I have been doing some research, and have actually found some affordable second hand 10" tablets, as there's no need for a top of the range model for what I want. Check out Done deal. Just make sure to google and check reviews, there are plenty of cheap but crap options there as well. I have seen some around the €150 mark which would do, most interested in a bright clear screen, and once it can take microSD I can chuck in a 32GB and have plenty of space for what I wish to use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Are you going to be buying the comics or downloading cbrs?

Reason I ask is I use this app the odd time for purchasing on my iPad. You can only purchase through it and can't load your own cbr files into it.... BUT what's great about it is it has a "guided view", and it takes you panel by panel as you tap so it would be great for a 7" screen.

This is on the Kindle Fire, gives you an idea. Skip to 2:40 and try and ignore the grotesquely fat hands... really solves the problem of a small screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A friend showed me his Asus Transformer in tablet mode for reading comics and I can see it being a very good option. If I were going to go down this route, I wouldn't bother with a 7" model though - for any ports of existing physical US comics, you want a screen size that's as close to the physical page size as possible.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a tablet as well and looking at the Nexus 7. I don't mind scrolling so apart from that is it a decent tablet for comics? I just don't want to spending loads when it'll just be used for reading, browsing and probably watching video.

Watched a few clips on youtube of apps like Perfect Viewer and they look to do the job

TBH other than the really, really cheap and possibly mis-sold Chinese tabs just about anything should be good enough for basic image and video viewing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

OSI wrote: »
    The one thing I will say though, is that a 7" tablet is far more portable and comfortable to hold/carry when commuting. I rarely took my iPad out of the house unless I was doing a decent amount of travelling, whereas the Nexus 7 comes with me everywhere.

Fair point - but I find that any kind of guided-view software substantially puts me off reading comics on a screen that can't accommodate them at full size.

If that's not a problem for you (or if you mainly read stuff created with smaller tablet displays in mind) then the 7" wins for portability and price.

Over on bargain alerts there seems to be a method to get a new samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1" for €246 through Tesco UK and some discounts, waiting to see if this can be done as this will be a clear winner if so.

Details here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056802809

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Not sure why anyone would want to read a comic panel-by-panel. Sounds horrendous.

That Galaxy tablet looks rather lovely though. What are the normal specs for a US comic (height/width)?

• Advertisement

From a quick Google search the dimensions of an american comic are as follows:
    17 x 26 cm (6 ⅝" × 10 ¼")

So a 10.1" (diagonal) screen won't be quite as big as a comic, but close enough to work fine for most situations without having to zoom. I know I saw a pic somewhere comparing the two side by side, but I can't find it now, will post if located.

Just to update on my own situation I have decided to splash out instead of keeping to my budget! Combining birthday and xmas pressies I'm going for either the asus transformer infinity or the Google Nexus 10, haven't decided which yet, the main drawback of the nexus being no external sd card slot, but I suppose the odd upload/download is a small price to pay for that glorious ipad beating resolution!

In case of interest here's a review of both tablets:
    Nexus 10 http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/tablets/3408209/google-nexus-10-preview/
    Asus transformer infinity http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/tablets/3366239/asus-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700-review/

I have found the pic, it's on the following page, which is quite a useful guide if considering digital comics:
    http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/07/everything-you-need-to-know-about-getting-into-digital-comic-books/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I use a Zenithink C91 10.1 inch tablet for reading comics. Cost me 130 euro from China. Even though it's fine now, I had some trouble with it. Lines across the screen. Chine said I had to send it back to them at my own cost, 60 euro. I opened it up and the LCD cable connecting to the motherboard was loose. I secured it and it's fine now. You get what you pay for I spose.

Have you looked into the new Nexus 10? Should be out soon and looks class. I tried reading comics on the Nexus 7 and the screen is brilliant and even though I didn't have to zoom in, the writing was a bit small. The 10 inch portrays it perfectly so would definitely recommend a 10 inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

I'd be very interested in picking one of these tablets up for comics reading. Nexus 10 looks like the strongest contender alright.

EDIT: There's a nice walkthrough here for the Nexus 10 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVsnq2-fgoA

He has a look at the latest Batman issue at 21.20, so you can see how it looks on the screen. Personally I think it's looks damn good!

So has anyone else tried reading comics on the Nexus 7? Like I've said before I don't want to be spending too much on a tablet if it's only being used for comics, videos and surfing. Especially when for the price of a 10" tablet you'd be as well to buy a laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Finally got round to getting a comic app for my kindle fire so am using that. Don't really find the 7 inch screen to be too much hassle unless there are double pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 impalingnubs

The iPad 2's size was perfect for me. Nothing less though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone willing to take a picture of their 7" tablet ( nexus preferably) with a full page on the screen, I just want to see a close up to see how readable text is.

Downloaded a comic reader for my Nokia 5230 to see what it would be like on a screen that size. Can read them anyway. A lot of scrolling, especially for double pages, but I think after this, I'm well ready for a 7" screen. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Just got the Nexus 7,thinking abouting downloading some comics for it.
    Never really have gotten comics before but I was addicted to animated shows of the 90's(x-men,spiderman,hulk etc)
    Would the Marvel Now series be a good starting off point?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_NOW!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Never really have gotten comics before but I was addicted to animated shows of the 90's(x-men,spiderman,hulk etc)

Yeah it would be. You should try the new Thor series, it's amazing both visually and writing-wise

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

PerrinV2 wrote: »

I'd also recommend the Ultimate stuff, few posts in the 'What are you reading thread about it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I'd also recommend the Ultimate stuff, few posts in the 'What are you reading thread about it'.

Agreed, they're a good selection to read as a "taster" for comics if you liked the Marvel cartoons.

There's less back story to catch up on too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

In fact i'm just gonna promote the hell out of Ultimate Spider-Man, best thing Bendis has ever written and would be a great start for you PerrinV2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Thwip! wrote: »
    In fact i'm just gonna promote the hell out of Ultimate Spider-Man, best thing Bendis has ever written and would be a great start for you PerrinV2

And the first issue is free on the Marvel Comics app. USM is a whole lot of fun and there's plenty to read!

I'm going to suggest giving All New X-Men a go. It's part of the Marvel Now thing, so it's pretty accessible and I'm really enjoying it so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Well i actually got the walking dead compendium for christmas,so I think my order will be,the walking dead then ultimate spiderman and by then there'll probably be a few more marvel now issues out which i'll download for the tablet

Got my Nexus 7 and the comics look good on it. No problems reading them, though you do have to scroll for the double pages(So pretty much every page of Batwoman :))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Got my Nexus 7 and the comics look good on it. No problems reading them, though you do have to scroll for the double pages(So pretty much every page of Batwoman :))

The Walking Dead is great on Perfect Viewer (free app) on the Nexus 7. On Conan, the text is a bit small, but you can still read it.

I've heard the Nexus 7 compared to Goldilocks. Not too big, but not too small. Works for me though. You would have to hold a larger tablet in both hands, which is a slight disadvantage.

Loving comics on the Nexus 7. Colours are sweet.

Yep. Using Perfect Viewer and the images are as clear as day. Just tried a few DC comics so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I got a kindle fire specifically for reading comics. Very clear and bright. No issues with it being to small or anything. If I had to point out any annoyances it would be that it's pretty heavy. Makes my arm ache after a while. Apart from that though it's great for comics.

Advertisement