Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY News in banks. RTE now have 24 hour news.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Most of the places wouldn't have an aerial up so won't be able to get RTÉ News, I can't understand why they don't have BBC News on though, no ads so they don't have to worry about their competitors ads being shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,421 ✭✭✭✭ted1

they can cancel there subscription and get RTE news now and saorview. that'll save the banks some money and maybe they could stop raping us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should just show Playboy Chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ted1 wrote: »
    they can cancel there subscription and get RTE news now and saorview. that'll save the banks some money and maybe they could stop raping us.

Sky News is free to air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Dempsey wrote: »
    Sky News is free to air

Are there free 'dishes' available somewhere?

• Advertisement

9959 wrote: »

Yep, right beside the free tvs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

efb wrote: »
    France 24 pour la victoire!

There's some amount of rides presenting the news on that channel. C'est la gee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

RT is my main news channel at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd watch Sky News if they had a Kay Burley Vs Adam Boulton Celebrity Death Match, and I'd put €50 on a win for Kay Burley because Adam Boulton would be severely hampered after she gouges his eyes out in the first 15 seconds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

grenache wrote: »
    And whats wrong with that?

Bit xenophobic are we father?
    for the first few years when sky started a double digit percentage of their viewers were Irish because it was carried on cable. Years later they had a token Irish news for a short time.

whose xenophobic ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Clareman wrote: »
    Most of the places wouldn't have an aerial up so won't be able to get RTÉ News, I can't understand why they don't have BBC News on though, no ads so they don't have to worry about their competitors ads being shown.
    an aerial is a lot smaller than a satellite dish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

RTE have 24 hour news??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

In my college there are a load of TV's all over the halls, with sky news on all bloody day, seriously it has no purpose, the only people who see them are students moving from class to class, a few people have actually commented that they should have the music channels on instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Why do banks and such places play SKY news ?

It's a foreign news channel, and not even the best foreign news channel.

And it's not as if they can't get RTE news now.

Its to give you something to watch/occupy you whilst you queue, this reduces your perceived queuing time so you dont think you have been waiting long before you get served.

Why Sky? no idea, perhaps its a more popular news channel than RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They don't show RTE news because they never know when they'll be on RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are there free saorview boxes? The already have the sky dish and box and you want them to save money by buying and installing soarview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I noticed a government agency had sky news in their reception area and thought it was a little odd. The vast majority of news is rubbish anyway, particularly Sky News.

Are there free saorview boxes? The already have the sky dish and box and you want them to save money by buying and installing soarview?
    Sky News is free to air

My point was, there is no 'free to air' anymore.

Saorview boxes, UPC, Dishes, all cost money.

Anyway, I couldn't give a flying fukc, I'm very seldom in a bank, and when I'm there I certainly wouldn't be watching the tele unless there was something interesting on such as 'Celebrity Manicures' or 'Marty Morrissey talks to Noam Chomsky'
    I go to the barber's - short back no sides and a shine - to watch TV, and guess what's always on there.....SKY NEWS!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

'Marty Morrissey talks to Noam Chomsky'

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

efb wrote: »
    France 24 pour la victoire!

I have been glued to France 24 (en Francais) for the last hour or so. Can't take my eyes off this sultry temptress. She is hypnotic. I genuinely want to punch the television when pictures of Syria or some other bullshít appear in her stead.

Also, Benzema is out of the Italy game by the looks of things. But Gourcouff is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    They're all as ****e as each other so I don't really care
    no they are not. rte is the bottom of the barrel. The bbc is quite good for world news and the broadsheets for national news. Do you follow news current affairs outside boards/twitter/facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Sky news is more exciting to watch. So if you're long in the que and something is going on Sky news might keep you that not more entertained and you probably wouldn't notice the ****ty service as much.

My point was, there is no 'free to air' anymore.

Saorview boxes, UPC, Dishes, all cost money.

Anyway, I couldn't give a flying fukc, I'm very seldom in a bank, and when I'm there I certainly wouldn't be watching the tele unless there was something interesting on such as 'Celebrity Manicures' or 'Marty Morrissey talks to Noam Chomsky'
    I go to the barber's - short back no sides and a shine - to watch TV, and guess what's always on there.....SKY NEWS!

free to air refers to subscriptions, not the cost of equipment to view the channel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sky News doesnt report on how crap the banks are and what dodgy things they have been doing and are still doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

Why do banks and such places play SKY news ?

It's a foreign news channel, and not even the best foreign news channel.

And it's not as if they can't get RTE news now.

Sorry to be vulgar but "RTE news now" is sh1te and a waste of taxpayer's money to boot.

Anti-British numpties would be displeased if they showed BBC News, and BBC News has few Irish stories.

Sky News tends to have more Irish news. Particularly so since they have a news center here and a version of their news channel tailored for Ireland.

So, Sky News is the best trade off.

free to air refers to subscriptions, not the cost of equipment to view the channel

Free-to-air Wikipedia:

"......In the traditional sense, this is carried on terrestrial radio signals and received with an antenna"

Television with an antenna is no more.
    Free-to-air as we knew it, is no more.
    That was my point.

By the way, in the Tech Section on these boards there's a 'Cable & Digital' forum.
    Go over there and shout "free to air" and I guarantee you'll come back with their laughter ringing in your ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Al Jazeera is by far the best news station I've watched.

ShiresV2 wrote: »
    Sorry to be vulgar but "RTE news now" is sh1te and a waste of taxpayer's money to boot.

It costs next to nothing to simply replay previously broadcasted material on a spare channel on the mux.

Free-to-air Wikipedia:

"......In the traditional sense, this is carried on terrestrial radio signals and received with an antenna"

Television with an antenna is no more.
    Free-to-air as we knew it, is no more.
    That was my point.

By the way, in the Tech Section on these boards there's a 'Cable & Digital' forum.
    Go over there and shout "free to air" and I guarantee you'll come back with their laughter ringing in your ears.

Wikipedia, LOL

As I pointed out earlier, nothing is free, i.e tvs and antennas cost money like saorview boxes do but free to air refers to that it requires no subscription to view the channel. Is that sinking in yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

ShiresV2 wrote: »

Anti-British numpties would be displeased if they showed BBC News, and BBC News has few Irish stories.

Sky News tends to have more Irish news. Particularly so since they have a news center here and a version of their news channel tailored for Ireland.

So, Sky News is the best trade off.

They show ads tailored for ireland not news.

Advertisement