Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY News in banks. RTE now have 24 hour news.

Options
  • 07-11-2012 2:58am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why do banks and such places play SKY news ?

It's a foreign news channel, and not even the best foreign news channel.

And it's not as if they can't get RTE news now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Dey tuk our news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

They're all as ****e as each other so I don't really care

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Could be worse. Could be Fox.

WE'LL DO IT LIVE. F*CK. F*CK IT. WHAT THE HELL DOES "to play us out mean"! *throws mic*

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I've seen more places recently adopt RTE News Now to display on their tvs. I'd guess a lot of places show SKY News simply because "That's what we're used to" and "Sure that's what we've always shown".

Could also make the argument that SKY News is a live 24 hour service whereas RTE News Now mostly just shows repeats of the 1, 6.01 or 9 news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

At least you don't have to listen to the boooooooings of the Angelus on Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Could also make the argument that SKY News is a live 24 hour service whereas RTE News Now mostly just shows repeats of the 1, 6.01 or 9 news.
    how many 24 hour banks do you know ? :p

They also have Morning Ireland and the RTE2 news

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

lazygal wrote: »
    But you do have to listen to the bongs of Big Ben on ITV!

lazygal wrote: »

I actually like the Angelus, it's old-worldy. Plus it's lead to some good spoofs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Because the gherkin knows all

cute way of detracting from a phallic symbol of the times.. but if true then the true totem of totalitarianism really is in a pickle. The vinegars bound to leave a sour taste too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

France 24 pour la victoire!

• Advertisement

how many 24 hour banks do you know ? :p

They also have Morning Ireland and the RTE2 news

Some of the 24 hour convenience stores show SKY News :p. I was more thinking that the shop/bank manager might think SKY is better as it's always live.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some of the 24 hour convenience stores show SKY News :p. I was more thinking that the shop/bank manager might think SKY is better as it's always live.
    If it was accurate or relevant then maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Sky News show more Donegal news tham RTE so it's more relevant for us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A chipper I was in on the weekend had Tom and Jerry cartoons on. I very much enjoyed them to be honest, far better than anything on Sky News too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

CatFromHue wrote: »
    A chipper I was in on the weekend had Tom and Jerry cartoons on. I very much enjoyed them to be honest, far better than anything on Sky News too.
    My first ever time on a ferry as a kid they showed 'The Poseidon Adventure' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Probably just because Sky is the system most places seem to have installed,and RTE News Now isn't available on it.Only on Saorview or UPC at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its the same in the mater, bbc news all the way. i dont care about what male prostitute some conservative mp bummed on hampstead heath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It's a foreign news channel,.
    And whats wrong with that?

Bit xenophobic are we father?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

I think it's a matter of tv services, sky doesn't have rte news so randy and his gherkin keeps em perky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Would much prefer fox news they have some great looking female anchors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

CatFromHue wrote: »

Promoting mindless violence. Tut, tut!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Where To wrote: »
    Sky News show more Donegal news tham RTE so it's more relevant for us.

That's right. I remember back in September when Sky-News had wall to wall coverage of Donegal's All-Ireland win.

RTE didn't even mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Probably just because Sky is the system most places seem to have installed,and RTE News Now isn't available on it.Only on Saorview or UPC at the moment.

I was gonna post that I can't see RTE News Now on Sky TV Guide. Why isn't it on Sky? :confused:

Some newsreaders are more interesting than the news! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

It's a foreign news channel, and not even the best foreign news channel.

And it's not as if they can't get RTE news now.

Why do most pubs have Sky news on?
    I've asked a few barmen why Sky news is always on - usually with the sound turned down. "Customers like it" they insist.
    I very much doubt this - I know I don't, and won't sit in a pub if it's on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If it's good enough for us to set our clocks to and double check the time after we go back/forward an hour, it's bloody good enough to have in the background in a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

But you do have to listen to the bongs of Big Ben on ITV!

We're talking Sky News here, change the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

SKY NEWS = Finger on the pulse of local (including us) & World affairs, LIVE feeds from all over the globe, with breaking news as it happens and in real time, with massive resources to hand, and reporters ready to be sent anywhere at any time in a flash! In depth news analysis in the Sky studios from morning to late at night.

BBC NEWS 24 = Same as above, but more polished and just better in many ways (Sky can irritate). BBC News = the thinking man's Live News channel + no ad breaks. Massive resources to hand, arguably better news analysis than Sky too . . .

RTE NEWS NOW = Quaint, but not really a 24 hour breaking news channel, more like a news loop made up from the Six One news + the RTE Nine O'Clock bulletin. Live feed from RTE Radio One showing for a lot of the time too, more like a part time TV news channel filling time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Large flat screen television portraying SKY news at McDonalds Ilac ctr.

Junk food along with Junk News. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If you're ever in the reception area out at RTE HQ in Montrose you'll see Sky News humming away silently on flatscreens.

Advertisement