Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the government asked you....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭carrig2

I would be willing to pay extra tax for this if I could believe that the money would be used for that purpose but could I believe anything this govt says? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

You must be on great money as you are also pro every kind of tax they propose.

I'm not in favour of taxes on income/endeavour generally (and hope I have never accidentally implied that anywhere else).

That said, I genuinely believe that we need this project delivered and can only guess what it must be like to be a parent with a sick child waiting to see if/when it will ever actually happen.

Consequently, on a pure exception basis, and subject to
    1.) Ring-fencing
    2.) Strictly legally committed time restriction
    I would be happy to support the expedited delivery of the hospital.

Running costs can be funded out of cuts in other ps expenditure which can be planned during the delivery phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Running costs can be funded out of cuts in other ps expenditure which can be planned during the delivery phase.
    Heh heh.Heh. heh. You're new here, aren't you. By "here", I mean Ireland..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

As a parent with a young child, I would consider it if it meant that the project would definitely be completed while she was still young enough to use it.

That said, I wouldn't trust them to use the extra money wisely. How much have they wasted on this project already, with all the false starts?

And it would drive me crazy to have to make more cutbacks in my own life, only to (probably) hear that the head honchos in the project were earning my hard-earned 1% in, like, an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No, it would only be wasted. Probably going into the pockets of some developer who automatically doubled his price when he heard they were flush with cash. That or they'd stop negotiating with the hospital consultants and just pay them out of their new slush fund or something. Either way, if there was some stupid way to squander it, it would be found.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No, of course not. Whole thing would be wasted and the hospital probably closed again in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Why don't we ask the national hero/martyr up in the training unit?
    allegedly he's sitting on roughly the amount needed to cover it.
    Just saying :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

to agree to a 1% increase in the Standard Rate of Income Tax for (say) the coming three years to facilitate faster delivery of the Children's Hospital, would you tolerate it?

Our tax system is a joke, if you earn 33k a year your top rate of tax is the same as someone earning 500k a year. Time to bring in a new tax rate for those earning over 80k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Is that you Noonan?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

benwavner wrote: »
    No, cancel all overseas aid for 3-5 years and use it for Ireland's benefit.

+1000 Let those ****ers starve.

wait, are we being serious? I can understand someone thinking that our foreign aid could be better spent. But saying we shouldn't do anything? Especially when we've received so much structural aid over the years. Not to mention farm subsidies. So to think that giving a small percentage of our income to countries that are in bits, where hundreds of thousands are starving, is actually a waste, that would be hypocritical of us. Not to mention nasty.

What? we are being serious? never mind then.

To echo a previous poster. I wouldn't mind paying extra taxes if I felt the money went to better use. I think it would also involve seeing politicians take a large pay cut too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I would if I was assured it was to go to the hospital and was used in an efficient way. I.e. no huge overruns of the project costing us millions extra as happens with so many other projects. In general I would be happy to pay more tax if I knew it was used efficiently to provide good public services. They say in Sweden people actually like paying taxes because they can see the value for their money. Why cant we have that :(

The new form of government contract used for construction these days means that the vast majority of projects generally come in on time and under budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The new form of government contract used for construction these days means that the vast majority of projects generally come in on time and under budget.

So what they just add 20% to the timeframe and budget then?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Grayson wrote: »
    +1000 Let those ****ers starve.

As I said, for 3 - 5 years, not indefinately. Irish aid has been grossly misspent in these needy countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Ara stop, we can get all the money we need if we tax those BASHTERDS in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Has it ever been mooted to run an appeal like they have here in Melbourne? Called The Good Friday Appeal and it is run all year round. Clubs, businesses, pubs running things throughout the year and the proceeds are all donated at the end of the year.

Have the final day televised, where they would advertise how much each county donates, get a telethon set up with Irish "celebs" answering the phones...... things like that?

People would be a lot more willing to donate if they knew it was going directly to the Children's Hospital instead of into a general tax fund where money can very easily be cut.

Also, it would bring a bit of community spirit back to places or help local soccer/rugby/GAA clubs get people back involved and turning up because it is all for a good cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Sky King wrote: »
    So what they just add 20% to the timeframe and budget then?!

No, it just means contractors put in sensible prices. In the past you had contractors putting in ridiculously low prices in order to win the contract and making a profit on changes or unanticipated problems. In other words all the risk for efficient delivery was on the client. The new contract changed this by placing the risk on the contractor, by forcing them to have a fixed price.

You cannot say that they have just stuck 20% onto their prices and timeframe. People are competing for the contract, so its generally priced as low as possible, with a small profit if most of the risks don't materialise.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I would in my fuk, they can take it out of the close on 20k in income tax, car tax, vat, and whatever else i already pay.
    Poor kids and all that but FUK off looking for more money.

*rant over*

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

In Exile wrote: »
    Has it ever been mooted to run an appeal like they have here in Melbourne? Called The Good Friday Appeal and it is run all year round. Clubs, businesses, pubs running things throughout the year and the proceeds are all donated at the end of the year.

Have the final day televised, where they would advertise how much each county donates, get a telethon set up with Irish "celebs" answering the phones...... things like that?

People would be a lot more willing to donate if they knew it was going directly to the Children's Hospital instead of into a general tax fund where money can very easily be cut.

Also, it would bring a bit of community spirit back to places or help local soccer/rugby/GAA clubs get people back involved and turning up because it is all for a good cause.

I think that is a lovely idea but in Ireland with a population of 4 and half million, you wouldn't get next to or near what is required. Plus most people are very bitter towards this government and will be for a long time to come. Could be very different if the goverment had no hand at all in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

How about we completely scrap the overseas aid budget and use that to fast tract the children's hospital.

Then give people the option of paying an additional % of their overall tax liability to fund overseas aid.

It would be optional similar to how churches are funded through the German tax system. Tick a box if you want to contribute.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Yes for the building. No for the payroll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

Oh that's good :). Was just going by past experience. Maybe things are slowly starting to change around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Dosnt. Bear commenting.on

Absolutely.no

I believe.i.already pay.42%.
    And.get practically zero for that. And.a.raft of further stealth taxes.

Under.no.circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Are you crazy? I would not trust any of the dishonest, cheating f***ers who run/ruin this country as far as I could throw them. They would pass the money to their developer and banker friends and look for more reports about where to build the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Lib Dems had a policy like for education in the 90's, people responded favourably but when it came to casting votes, flatly rejected it. Votes are far more easily bought hence the stampede here during the bubble to offer the highest tax cuts, plus a promise of better services. The better services was an afterthought after "how much extra will I get in my pocket?".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

delad wrote: »
    Our tax system is a joke, if you earn 33k a year your top rate of tax is the same as someone earning 500k a year. Time to bring in a new tax rate for those earning over 80k.

Yeah! I hate anyone earning more than me. How dare they.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah! I hate anyone earning more than me. How dare they.
    It's positively criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

to agree to a 1% increase in the Standard Rate of Income Tax for (say) the coming three years to facilitate faster delivery of the Children's Hospital, would you tolerate it?

No.

€26 million has already been wasted which Reilly admitted will not be recovered so it would be a bit rich to expect the taxpayer to give away more tax that we are already regardless of what it would be used for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

No. The children's hospital is too far away from me and I'm too old for it myself and I'll never have children. It's about as much use to me as the man on the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Do they not issue bonds or enact bond measures in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Money is not going to increase the speed of the planning and building of the hospital, we tried throwing money at the health system before and what did we get, more people on trollies.
    That said I fail to see how we can hope to have decent services if we dont pay more for them, and at the same time reform the system of delivering them.

Advertisement