Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has There Ever Been A More Popular Politician Worldwide Than Obama??

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Probably not that big in Yemen or Pakistan, on account of all those pesky, indiscriminate drone strikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

MJ23 wrote: »
    Jackie Healy-Rae

He'd fix the potholes for you boy, can Obama say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Medu

Like I say I'm not a fan but I don't recall Clinton, Gore or Kerry getting anywhere near the amount of good luck messages Obama is getting. I assume when he goes in 2016, the election hype wont be quite the same.

Neither Gore nor Kerry were president?

Clinton was very well liked. It isn't so much that Obama is liked, it's just that he is such a great story. Whatever you think of him as a president it was historic that he was elected and re-elected to the White House.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Has there ever been a more popular politician than Barack Obama worldwide?

I find his popularity absolutely extraordinary. I wouldn't really call myself a fan, but I do admire his seemingly huge popularity worldwide, however he gets it. I don't think there has ever been a more popular politician than him ever, I really don't.

The coverage the US election is getting in Ireland, the UK with Sky News is staggering. It seems people are more interested in this election than they are with local elections here, UK elections, or any other elections in europe. China are arguably as big as a superpower as the US, they have elections shortly and its not getting anywhere near the coverage.

So I think a lot of it is to do with Obama and his personal popularity, am I right? The guy is clearly hugely media savy, more popular than Jesus sometimes the way people rave about him.

Like I say I'm not a fan but I don't recall Clinton, Gore or Kerry getting anywhere near the amount of good luck messages Obama is getting. I assume when he goes in 2016, the election hype wont be quite the same.

In addition he was the first person to get 10 million twitter followers, beating Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. :pac:

I'd say Nelson Mandella might be up there, close anyway.
    Obama definitely clicks with a huge audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Blair is a fraud and a sell out. A corporate, capitalist cock sucker who served his nations sovereignity to the EU on a platter. A man who persistently lied to his own people. A man who brought us New Labour, essentially just a more politically correct version of the Tories. He was only a few weeks in office when he scrapped free third level education!

Capitalist cocksucker?

As for the EU, he saw Britain's future within Europe. He is probably right in that regard. How was that different from any other European leader?
    How did he win? Equally awful opposition to choose your vote from, coupled with the UK being a country where more people under 30 were voting on the final of Big ****ing Brother than bothered voting in the elections.

Tony Blair was probably more popular with younger people than the Conservatives.

Once again, you're saying nothing.
    Thus far Obama has halted the unemployment increase, slowly created more and more new jobs month after month, saved the auto industry, ended one war.....how much more do you need from the guy?

How about not signing NDAA?

Obama also ordered the assassination of a US citizen. Obama has MANY faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The thing about Obama is he has stuck to most of his promises, unlike quite a few previous candidates.

Utter Boll*x

In his own words.

Instead of shutting Guantanamo bay he has kept it open and extended his powers (NDAA) to detain without trial indefinitely any US citizen suspected of "terrorism" not agreeing with his policies not just those of 9.11

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gypsy Roman

Pffttt Mary Harney hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Stuff happened before 2000.

Napolean wins and he was a horrible little cnut by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

kingtiger wrote: »
    Nelson Mandela would definitely take the crown
    Remmy wrote: »
    JFK maybe? He was pretty well loved.
    J.F.K. Gets my vote
    Probably the two best known and popular politicians worldwide while still alive I would say. The Kennedys' reputation is somewhat tarnished by subsequent revelations, but JFK was hugely charismatic in his day.

Obama is personable, and that has added to his following; he also represents a historic landmark for the US in particular and to some extent on the wider world stage.

Add to which the Republicans' usual ability to shoot themselves in the ass on every conceivable and inconceivable occasion.

That said, personally I hoped for more from Obama. He has by no means been a bad president, and he has had to deal with recession and political obstructionism, but he has been more lacklustre than I expected and hoped for.

Unless he can up his game in the second half, I suspect that history will record his presidency as a historic landmark rather than as one of the greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Probably not but simply because social media wasn't as expansive, intrusive, and global as it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

So I think a lot of it is to do with Obama and his personal popularity, am I right? :

that depiction of the modern family, with some good looking girls around him probably wins over the image of romneys stale 50s brylcreem boy image which I'm in favour of but I think some politics may be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Two of my heroes LBJ and Nixon got a 60% margin, to put all this Obama hype in persective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Has There Ever Been A More Popular Politician Worldwide Than Obama??

Tony Blair was a very popular politician Worldwide back in the late 90s . . .

Couldn't stand him myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Almost every Government in the World kisses the _ass of whoever has just been (re)elected US President.

Obama is not a great politician. But he is a superb orrator and there's nobody better at delivering empty rhetoric. His success in this election had as much to do with the Republicans struggles to nominate a half decent opponent as anything else!

Advertisement