Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has There Ever Been A More Popular Politician Worldwide Than Obama??

Options
  • 06-11-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Has there ever been a more popular politician than Barack Obama worldwide?

I find his popularity absolutely extraordinary. I wouldn't really call myself a fan, but I do admire his seemingly huge popularity worldwide, however he gets it. I don't think there has ever been a more popular politician than him ever, I really don't.

The coverage the US election is getting in Ireland, the UK with Sky News is staggering. It seems people are more interested in this election than they are with local elections here, UK elections, or any other elections in europe. China are arguably as big as a superpower as the US, they have elections shortly and its not getting anywhere near the coverage.

So I think a lot of it is to do with Obama and his personal popularity, am I right? The guy is clearly hugely media savy, more popular than Jesus sometimes the way people rave about him.

Like I say I'm not a fan but I don't recall Clinton, Gore or Kerry getting anywhere near the amount of good luck messages Obama is getting. I assume when he goes in 2016, the election hype wont be quite the same.

In addition he was the first person to get 10 million twitter followers, beating Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Adolf and the nazis a great bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Sure who doesn't love Berlusconi and his Bunga Bunga fun times?? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i think bill clinton is deadly.

he plays saxophone!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Alan B'Astard!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its the round the clock news, internet, and social media age. Not of them in use before, or used in the way they were before.

There will be more technology in 4 years time to increase popularity further.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

I find his popularity absolutely extraordinary. I wouldn't really call myself a fan, but I do admire his seemingly huge popularity worldwide, however he gets it. I don't think there has ever been a more popular politician than him ever, I really don't.

The coverage the US election is getting in Ireland, the UK with Sky News is staggering. It seems people are more interested in this election than they are with local elections here, UK elections, or any other elections in europe. China are arguably as big as a superpower as the US, they have elections shortly and its not getting anywhere near the coverage.

So I think a lot of it is to do with Obama and his personal popularity, am I right? The guy is clearly hugely media savy, more popular than Jesus sometimes the way people rave about him.

Like I say I'm not a fan but I don't recall Clinton, Gore or Kerry getting anywhere near the amount of good luck messages Obama is getting. I assume when he goes in 2016, the election hype wont be quite the same.

This election imo has received so much attention because its so tight not because Obama is particularly amazing or anything. I remember a similar level of attention given to the Bush/Gore presidential race.

I think Obama is quite popular globally in comparison to the previous but having said that, Clinton was quite popular too.

Maybe its because Obama is a Democrat, back, well educated & well spoken, doesnt take a hard line stance on foreign affairs & is generally a very charismatic type of individual.

Although he posseses the above characteristics I think his performance has been quite poor as the president. He has dithered in Middle East quite a bit, made a huge mistake in allowing BP to drill off the American coast resulting in devasting consequences & hasnt really made any impact on sorting out the unemployment rate in the states. I would consider his overall performance ineffective at best but I think his hands have been tied considerably by the amount of Republicans in office.

Having said this give me Obama anyday over Romney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Nixer Jim

Lowry.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I would like to turn on the news and not have the US election as the top (and longest story).

Whoever came up with the idea that the media shows what the people want to see? I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THIS! Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Nelson Mandela would definitely take the crown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

kingtiger wrote: »
    Nelson Mandela would definitely take the crown

The thieving bastard„ no wonder he spent so much time in the slammer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Didn't re-offend though did he.

(RG)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

That English lad. Conservative.... used to hate miners, ah what's his name.....
    wore wimmins clothes a lot....... invaded Argentina, can't think....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

JFK maybe? He was pretty well loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Numbers wise - Mao and Stalin had many many devotees (if you asked the respective governments at the time...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

biko wrote: »
    Numbers wise - Mao and Stalin had many many devotees (if you asked the respective governments at the time...)

the question was "worldwide"

not per population

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I would like to turn on the news and not have the US election as the top (and longest story).

Whoever came up with the idea that the media shows what the people want to see? I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THIS! Thank you very much.

I think the majority of people have a keen interest to outcome of this election. It's only really for today that it takes centre stage in our media.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Woodrow Wilson b*tches!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

who are ye all rooting for,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Human beings love tension and relief - you could write entire volumes about how this influences everything from comedy, to visual art and classical music, but it extends to politics too.

In the case of Obama, the authority, the gravity and the intensity of his office, which is of global importance, is offset by his serene confidence, good humour and humanity. He communicates these desirable traits like no politician has ever been capable of communicating before, using social media.

We are heavily relieved. And this causes a positive image of the man proportionate to the degree to which he can communicate his positive traits and proportionate also to the importance of the office he holds and the magnitude of damage he could potentially wreak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

China are arguably as big as a superpower as the US, they have elections shortly and its not getting anywhere near the coverage.

Not quite the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Obama loved worldwide? In the west maybe.

I reckon Che Guevara may be the most popular politician ever worldwide.

If only to go by the number of tshirt wearing devotees.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

In addition he was the first person to get 10 million twitter followers, beating Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. :pac:

It is as much down to his strategy of leveraging new media (twitter etc) which was not available to Clinton etc than it is his popularity (which is much greater outside of the US....only 50% of Americans support him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Yeah, those Mandelas were always causing trouble. As soon as Nelson released, Winnie was locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I wasn't around for it personally but JFK seemed to enjoy an almost movie star-like fame. And Reagan of course was a movie star before taking up office. Schwarzenegger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Hitler, before all that WWII stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

I've actually found this election's coverage low-key compared to the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I think we should defer this question until after Justin Bieber becomes president.

And may God help us all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

goat2 wrote: »
    who are ye all rooting for,

Romney

(but I've already been beaten up on all the other threads, so don't start!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Paddy Power are calling it early! They're already paying out on an Obama victory. Wonder will we see a repeat of Dewey defeats Truman?

Advertisement