Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has There Ever Been A More Popular Politician Worldwide Than Obama??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Barack Obama is a failed president who has had no notable achievements in public life.

What is this universal popularity based on exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ho Chi Minh would have been fairly popular with a certain age group worldwide.

Gorbatchov did pretty well outside the USSR too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

J.F.K. Gets my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

CJH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Has there ever been a more popular politician than Barack Obama worldwide?

I find his popularity absolutely extraordinary. I wouldn't really call myself a fan, but I do admire his seemingly huge popularity worldwide, however he gets it. I don't think there has ever been a more popular politician than him ever, I really don't.

The coverage the US election is getting in Ireland, the UK with Sky News is staggering. It seems people are more interested in this election than they are with local elections here, UK elections, or any other elections in europe. China are arguably as big as a superpower as the US, they have elections shortly and its not getting anywhere near the coverage.

So I think a lot of it is to do with Obama and his personal popularity, am I right? The guy is clearly hugely media savy, more popular than Jesus sometimes the way people rave about him.

Like I say I'm not a fan but I don't recall Clinton, Gore or Kerry getting anywhere near the amount of good luck messages Obama is getting. I assume when he goes in 2016, the election hype wont be quite the same.

In addition he was the first person to get 10 million twitter followers, beating Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. :pac:

Doubt Obama is very popular amongst Iraqis, Libyans, Afghans, Yemenis, Pakistanis, Palestinians, etc. Anyone who actually voted for him because he said he was going to do certain things probably hate his guts now too.
    Sorry, Obama did keep one campaign promise. He did actually buy his kids a fcukin' dog.

I'd say Gorby was definitely more popular. And his wife was definitely a looker compared to her skeletal counterpart, Nancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...and then there would be this fella:

He only made "President" of the national bank (and minister for industrial development), but nothing beats his popularity :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/CheHigh.jpg/250px-CheHigh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Bertie was fairly popular around 2002...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Has there ever been a more popular politician than Barack Obama worldwide?

I find his popularity absolutely extraordinary. I wouldn't really call myself a fan, but I do admire his seemingly huge popularity worldwide, however he gets it. I don't think there has ever been a more popular politician than him ever, I really don't.

The coverage the US election is getting in Ireland, the UK with Sky News is staggering. It seems people are more interested in this election than they are with local elections here, UK elections, or any other elections in europe. China are arguably as big as a superpower as the US, they have elections shortly and its not getting anywhere near the coverage.

So I think a lot of it is to do with Obama and his personal popularity, am I right? The guy is clearly hugely media savy, more popular than Jesus sometimes the way people rave about him.

Like I say I'm not a fan but I don't recall Clinton, Gore or Kerry getting anywhere near the amount of good luck messages Obama is getting. I assume when he goes in 2016, the election hype wont be quite the same.

In addition he was the first person to get 10 million twitter followers, beating Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. :pac:

He continued America's War of Terror in Iraq and Afghanistan. Extened it into Pakistan and Yemen. Betrayed the Palestinians after promiing he would get them a state of their own, continues funding Israel despite its continued crimes against international law, and he stood up for Arab dictators whom pro-democracy groups were trying to overthrow.

Oh and he continued to steal american taxpayers money to give to the elite.

What a waste of a thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gandhi
    Dali Lama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Doubt Obama is very popular amongst Iraqis, Libyans, Afghans, Yemenis, Pakistanis, Palestinians, etc. Anyone who actually voted for him because he said he was going to do certain things probably hate his guts now too.
    Sorry, Obama did keep one campaign promise. He did actually buy his kids a fcukin' dog.

I'd say Gorby was definitely more popular. And his wife was definitely a looker compared to her skeletal counterpart, Nancy.

I know Libyans, all pro Obama.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Osam- ...yeah, on second thought, not going there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Jackie Healy-Rae

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Zebra3 wrote: »
    He continued America's War of Terror in Iraq and Afghanistan. Extened it into Pakistan and Yemen. Betrayed the Palestinians after promiing he would get them a state of their own, continues funding Israel despite its continued crimes against international law, and he stood up for Arab dictators whom pro-democracy groups were trying to overthrow.

Oh and he continued to steal american taxpayers money to give to the elite.

What a waste of a thread.

What a waste of a post more like. Expected him to pull out of Iraq on day one back in 2008 did you? Expect him to solve what many people would class an unsolvable situation in Israel, in his first term? I think your confusing Obama with Jesus Christ! If only politics was as simple as you seem to think it is, what a great world we would live in.

I don't remember him sending over US troops to help Gaddafi either???

As for why he is popular, well how many politicians anywhere in the world, could a 25 or 30 year old Joe Soap contemplate shooting the breeze with? Not many. Obama is hugely media savvy, people from all over the class divide identify with him, and he seems to be decent man anyway, many Americans who intend to vote for him quote his 'values' as the main reason. Also he came in after an abysmal Bush era, where the Presidency became a running joke. Most people in his position are older, are career politicians, and have spent so many years in the political bubble that they are almost as out of touch with the reality of life for normal people as the British royals. Obama is the anthesis of this. Or his PR is so good, thats the way he appears anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Barack Obama is a failed president who has had no notable achievements in public life.

http://whattheheckhasobamadonesofar.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/04/us-election-international-poll_n_2066972.html

Apparently the world would vote for Obama. Pretty pointless poll though really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Obama is not that popular at all.

Popularity polls are flawed if you ask popl who they prefer Obama or Romeny.

I would think if you asked people how much they rate Obama as a question alone you would find the response to be rather muted.

He is better than Romney.

But he has had four years and has not accomplished much.

Many would say this is republican obstructionism....but well shouldn't a good politician expect this and overcome it?

I would vote for him ...but only because i don't want to vote for Romney.

I don't rate him that highly. And it is clear that the right wing pervades all American politics now.

Whe you look at Obama's past career he has the bosses a republican would have had years ago.

The truth is ....he is not popular.....or even that respected as a politician ..he has been hidden away from criticism and his party and pr machine have not put a foot wrong.

It is not that he is popular...Romney is just very unpopular right now as is the GOP worldwide....THAT is the phenomenon you actually should be interested in.

I am not saying a lot of that is not deserved. There has been a death of true conservatism in America. But the whole hate for the American Right in Europe is an interesting phenomenon.

I think it is because the Right is usually more nationalist and in Europe the right is suking up to the US.

Anyway..in the US opinion swings wildly..they loved Clinton....then they hated him...now they love him again...they loved Bush ...now they hate him....they loved Blair ...now they hate him.

In Ireland we are much more constant in our opinions and favor or dislike I think (maybe I am wrong).

I see Obama being much more disliked if he wins this second term and does not prform a LOT better..and i mean A LOT better. He has gotten off lightly this term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

romney also my hope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

the obsession with Obama gives me the creeps, especially the way Irish media and civil servants treat him like a God. I do not get it at all.

He would bomb Ireland in a minute if the oil companies told him too. They all would.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kim Jong Il, the glorious leader that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

CJH

Ah . The Boss, God bless him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

FatherLen wrote: »
    i think bill clinton is deadly.

he plays saxophone!

I hear his interns did too

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Obama is popular because hes so likeable.

Hes not disimilar to JFK or Clinton (pre Lewinsky) in that regard. Hes charming, funny and young(by US president standards)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

Higher wrote: »

Hes not disimilar to JFK or Clinton (pre Lewinsky) in that regard. Hes charming, funny and young(by US president standards)

He does not have the intellect of JFK - not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Higher wrote: »

Are you serious? Obama is no JFK! He's just lucky to live an an era when smart use of social media can work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread894367/pg45#pid15256413

charging for the toll when people cannot get money out of banks, how could they do it,
    this is what obamas crowd are doing in the middle of a huge natural disaster.
    the link above will show you the help the people are getting, as far as i can read, very little, upping the tolls when they should be stopping them,

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

steve9859 wrote: »
    Are you serious? Obama is no JFK! He's just lucky to live an an era when smart use of social media can work wonders.

jesus can people actually read around here?

I said he is not dissimilar to JFK in regards to his likeability.

Agricola wrote: »
    I think your confusing Obama with Jesus Christ!

No, I'm not. Though they are/were both great con merchants.
    I don't remember him sending over US troops to help Gaddafi either???

He didn't and I never said he did. But his support was/is there for a host of evil regimes in the Arab world.
    he seems to be decent man anyway

If murderers are your kind of decent people... I'm sure the kids blown to bits by his drone strikes think he's decent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Is it because I is black?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Being able to read a speech is not a sign of intellect, or getting someone to ghost write your thesis, nor is stealing an election

Can never understand how that family of hustlers ever got sainthood

• Advertisement

Being able to read a speech is not a sign of intellect, or getting someone to ghost write your thesis, nor is stealing an election

Can never understand how that family of hustlers ever got sainthood

Dying young helps.

Advertisement