Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserves

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Hope i pass ha.....have has all them done in the Army so should not have any issues.......i hope :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Ye should be grand! ;-)

:(So i had my interview today with the super in Mullingar, nice guy!

But about 3 years ago i done approximately 7 hours in Castlerea for non payment of a fine and in the supers words 'thats the elephant in the room'

So my hopes of becoming a reserve are crumbling fast, very fast by the sound of it!

HQ asked for a report off the arresting Garda who is my local Guard. So i will be seeing him tonight.

I put my court details down on the BR but never mentioned the prison time. this may sound stupid but i forgot about it and how is beyond me!

So to be honest in not holding out much hope, I had stopped a business venture as it was a conflict for the reserve but im in two mind to start it again as i really think I've blown my reserve.

Tue fine was only €500 bit back then i was out of work and really really struggling to keep a roof over my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

But about 3 years ago i done approximately 7 hours in Castlerea for non payment of a fine and in the supers words 'thats the elephant in the room'

So my hopes of becoming a reserve are crumbling fast, very fast by the sound of it!

HQ asked for a report off the arresting Garda who is my local Guard. So i will be seeing him tonight.

I put my court details down on the BR but never mentioned the prison time. this may sound stupid but i forgot about it and how is beyond me!

So to be honest in not holding out much hope, I had stopped a business venture as it was a conflict for the reserve but im in two mind to start it again as i really think I've blown my reserve.

Tue fine was only €500 bit back then i was out of work and really really struggling to keep a roof over my head.

Best thing you can do is not worry about it, it's out of your hands at the moment. In fairness if you had this as a career path at the time you should have known this would not look good at all ! It's up to the higher powers all you can do is keep the head up and show that it was a hard decision you took while you where in a hard place.

I knew at the time it was not good but it was a day in prisons or my house at that time the decision had to be made to go to castlerea!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Hey iv my interview in september 2013, (IF) i get in when would i start training ? April - may 2014 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Pass the interview you then fill in the BR form . that could take up to 6 -7 months and longer in some cases to pass .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

I really didnt think somthing like that would affect your application? especially when you were out of work, which I think is understandable IMO. Don't think that's fair atall.

I'v been to court twice in the last few years for minor traffic offenses and all the matters were struck out. If I was rejected because of that i'd be shocked.

@jamesr123

Im pretty gutted and losing all hope at this stage. Reserve HQ in fairness are excellent and told me to email a letter stating my situation and reason behind it but as the super said even a day in jail is still time in jail.

Just hope with my letter and the local Garda report that they will see that I had no choice and that my decision was not an easy one to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

DustyMan wrote: »
    "First of all, you fill up another medical form, something similar to the one you down load or sent out to you..then they ask you for the following, urine sample, hearing test, blood pressure, test, lung capacity test. this is all undertaken by the nurses there.. then its up to visit the Dr. change into a surgical blue gown,and a dressing gown,.and wait till you get called..once in, your height is taken, then you stand on a weighting machine that calculates your bmi, body fat..this is noted..then the Dr. checks your eye sight test and colour blindness test..then you are asked to touch your toes..he gets you to stripe down to your briefs, and checks and listens to your lungs,followed by lying on the couch to check for anything unusual..etc.etc and your hernia, followed by a cough..he is also noting any scars or tattoos..and then he congratulate`s you, and tells you to get dressed and report back to the reception again.."

Added to this is a detailed questionnaire that you get your GP to fill out. The Garda Dr. will go through this questionnaire too.

No blue surgical gown when I was there, must be the cut-backs! ;-) But all was as this previous poster posted re the medical.

I'm waiting approx 6 months for my background checks to come back!! I didn't get a form for my GP to fill out, when do I get this and do I go to my own GP for a pre medical exam???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

jamesr123 wrote: »
    I really didnt think somthing like that would affect your application? especially when you were out of work, which I think is understandable IMO. Don't think that's fair atall.

I'v been to court twice in the last few years for minor traffic offenses and all the matters were struck out. If I was rejected because of that i'd be shocked.

I really am shocked at this. If you got rejected over that then it's their loss mate. I know jail is jail but give people a chance ffs.

I'm sure there are lads who have joined the reserves/garda who have been in bigger trouble than this?

Maybe dude but all i can do now is wait :(

Advertisement