Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserves

Options
  • 06-11-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello,
    I was just wondering does anybody know how long it is until you hear back from them after sending away your application forrm??

Thanks
    Clo :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Clodz2010 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I was just wondering does anybody know how long it is until you hear back from them after sending away your application forrm??

Thanks
    Clo :)

It could take 2 weeks to 6 months to hear back at times. Your best bet is to ring public jobs and ask for the Garda reserve section, ask the person you speak to when the next interviews are and ask could they fit you in, I had to travel 2 1/2 hours from were I live to my interview just so I could get the ball rolling. be prepared to wait if your successful and have to hand in form br, I handed mine in 19 months ago and still waiting :) best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Clodz2010

Aww thanks a million, Did you have your interview inal?? I was wondering do they write back to you after recieving your application form anyway??
    You Too :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 17 civileng2008

Folks,

Thinking of applying for the GR’s. With regard the application I only have 2 languages in the leaving cert: Irish and English which are both higher level. Can the 2 of these be regarded as 2 languages or is a foreign language required also?

Cheers

Clodz2010 wrote: »
    Aww thanks a million, Did you have your interview inal?? I was wondering do they write back to you after recieving your application form anyway??
    You Too :) x

Yes I passed my interview back in January 2011, no they don't write back to you after you submit your application,they just contact you when interviews come up in your local area, if you pass your interview you get a letter 3 weeks later conforming it and telling you to submit form br at your local station.
    Folks,

Thinking of applying for the GR’s. With regard the application I only have 2 languages in the leaving cert: Irish and English which are both higher level. Can the 2 of these be regarded as 2 languages or is a foreign language required also?

Cheers

If I were you I would apply cant see them being to strict about it, if you do need a foreign language you could apply for an exemption, if your worried contact public jobs they will tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Clodz2010

Thanks a million for your feedback very useful, much appreciated!!
    ohh no.. Just my luck sent my original offical certs with it thought they would give instant feed back :(

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 civileng2008

Thanks A.G.S for you help.

and best of luck clodz2010 with your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

average wait is about 12months from date of application to first weekend of training

hope this helps and best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

I applied about 3 months ago and contacted Public Jobs to confirm receipt of my application. Got exam and interview 2weeks ago in athlone which is about 1hr 40 mins drive for me. I contacted them again last Thursday asking about results, got email back saying that results would be due this week. I asked if possible could I get my results by email and low and behold I got that email this morning...... Passed  so head down on the laptop tomorrow to fill out Form BR which looks like it could take a while .
    Best of luck to anyone applying or through to the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Applied in September and have my interview this Thursday coming in Carrickmacross.

Received a call from Public Jobs about 2 weeks ago confirming it will be in November and I receiver a letter Monday just gone with the above date.

A few reserve's were told on the day if they passed and some by letter??

Is that right?

Really looking forward to it but dreading the wait for the letter :eek:

Best of luck with the exam and interview, I very much doubt that anyone sitting the exam and interview were told on the day if they have passed or not. My advice for the day........read the threads and that will give you a good idea of what to expect.

• Advertisement

Thanks Rookie....I'll update when I finish the interview and exam :confused:

How long does it take on average for the results to be sent out??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Thanks Rookie....I'll update when I finish the interview and exam :confused:

How long does it take on average for the results to be sent out??

I got mine 3 days later, but on average its about a week later when you hear back.

If I remember correctly, i got my results about 5 days after the exam. I emailed public jobs and requested my results by email.

Well Interview and Written Test completed :D

Now im sh***ing bricks waiting for the letter :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Benotafraid

Applied in September and have my interview this Thursday coming in Carrickmacross.

Received a call from Public Jobs about 2 weeks ago confirming it will be in November and I receiver a letter Monday just gone with the above date.

A few reserve's were told on the day if they passed and some by letter??

Is that right?

Really looking forward to it but dreading the wait for the letter :eek:

i was in carrickmacross that day too how did you find written and interview? :)

i was in carrickmacross that day too how did you find written and interview? :)

Both nerve racking lol.....Don't have much Community work done bar RDF Mullingar and I think that will go against me.

Years of private security work for private people / company's so lots of experience dealing from drunks to cash vans and Ships

But I have heard of people not passing due to lack of community work!!

Surely that experience will help or is it very community related??

Written test was ok and just wrote the main facts... left out the chattter from bystanders as I thought it was just banter!!

Anyway all I can do is wait and I can always try again if I dont make it!!

I could have been talking to you on the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Benotafraid

Both nerve racking lol.....Don't have much Community work done bar RDF Mullingar and I think that will go against me.

Years of private security work for private people / company's so lots of experience dealing from drunks to cash vans and Ships

But I have heard of people not passing due to lack of community work!!

Surely that experience will help or is it very community related??

Written test was ok and just wrote the main facts... left out the chattter from bystanders as I thought it was just banter!!

Anyway all I can do is wait and I can always try again if I dont make it!!

I could have been talking to you on the day :D

What where you wearing i was the fella in the purple top and purple tie, fairly tall with black hair :)

was prob the youngest in there :)

I didnt get the written finished but i wasnt far off :/

Did ya get any word yet on how ya got on? :)

What where you wearing i was the fella in the purple top and purple tie, fairly tall with black hair :)

was prob the youngest in there :)

I didnt get the written finished but i wasnt far off :/

Did ya get any word yet on how ya got on? :)

Eh stripy pink shirt and purple tie (missus idea) :rolleyes: lol

Think it was you i was talking to!

I got it finished but that doesn't mean its any good lol

No word yet will take 2 weeks or so!

Not getting my hope up so ill take it as it comes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

Get a room

Get a room

As long as its the training room in Templemore that will do me :D

• Advertisement

As long as its the training room in Templemore that will do me :D

CRINGE !!!! :D:D:D

A.G.S wrote: »
    CRINGE !!!! :D:D:D

lol....cringing waiting for this letter :o

Don't think ill make it...very community orientated, Understandably but what use is that when someone pulls a needle or knife :confused:

lol....cringing waiting for this letter :o

Don't think ill make it...very community orientated, Understandably but what use is that when someone pulls a needle or knife :confused:

I wouldn't worry about the wait, what will be will be.

Community work is a big part of An Garda Siochana! Its not all about needles and knife being pulled, there is a a lot of engagement verbally. Believe it or not there is a way of speaking to gougers that can prevent crimes or them trying to kick off at you (within reason of course) the better you are at talking to them also helps you gather intelligence in the local community if you can establish trust. So being involved in the community and a confident person helps you stand out as a better candidate and that is that the Garda Reserve look for.

p.s a lot of waiting around is to be done before you can even be accepted. waiting 23 months myself on background checks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

A.G.S wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about the wait, what will be will be.

Community work is a big part of An Garda Siochana! Its not all about needles and knife being pulled, there is a a lot of engagement verbally. Believe it or not there is a way of speaking to gougers that can prevent crimes or them trying to kick off at you (within reason of course) the better you are at talking to them also helps you gather intelligence in the local community if you can establish trust. So being involved in the community and a confident person helps you stand out as a better candidate and that is that the Garda Reserve look for.

p.s a lot of waiting around is to be done before you can even be accepted. waiting 23 months myself on background checks :(

This video springs to mind lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

hi i was just wondering does anyone know if any interviews are coming up soon?

Well use to working with 'that type' lol......Wouldn't have a lot of community work/help done but I'm well capable of talking someone down!

As you said what will be will be!

23 months for background checks :eek: jez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

but I'm well capable of talking someone down!

Thats not necessarily what AGS meant, sometimes its more effective to develop a rapport than to talk down/aggravate someone. If someone is about to kick off, quite often you can diffuse the situation with some diplomacy/mediation, regardless of what you think of the person. You have to think on your feet, & every situation is different which is why they look for people with community service, its usually a good sign that a person has some social skills & isn't going to pull out an asp or spray in a situation where it isn't called for. The wrong response from you could trigger a confrontation where it could have been avoided

EnterNow wrote: »
    Thats not necessarily what AGS meant, sometimes its more effective to develop a rapport than to talk down/aggravate someone. If someone is about to kick off, quite often you can diffuse the situation with some diplomacy/mediation, regardless of what you think of the person. You have to think on your feet, & every situation is different which is why they look for people with community service, its usually a good sign that a person has some social skills & isn't going to pull out an asp or spray in a situation where it isn't called for. The wrong response from you could trigger a confrontation where it could have been avoided

I understand what your saying. I know plenty of people with years of community service...yet any sign of slight aggression or such and there gone....not doubting the GR in any shape or form but putting so much emphasis on community service may backfire.

After working in all types of security and working with Gardai anyone who goes in thinking it's all going to be patrols talking with locals and gently putting drunken billy in a taxi will get a sharp shock!

They need to tell all applicants of the other dangers involved and not just the community end. Gardai deal with more aggression on a daly basis than good dealing in the local community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

not doubting the GR in any shape or form but putting so much emphasis on community service may backfire.

It really doesn't. I've been a Reserve for over a year now, & any member from Guard to Super where I am will tell you the community is the best 'weapon' you have.
    After working in all types of security and working with Gardai anyone who goes in thinking it's all going to be patrols talking with locals and gently putting drunken billy in a taxi will get a sharp shock!

Well that is true, its not pretty out there & there's a lot of hostility aimed at the uniform. But, the best members I've ever accompanied are nearly always able to turn a sour situation sweet again with words, rather than force. Even in situations where I've thought "ok this is it, open the latch on the asp holder"...a member if experienced enough can through the use of holding ground, tone of voice, diplomacy & maybe even a little empathy, turn the situation sweet again.
    They need to tell all applicants of the other dangers involved and not just the community end. Gardai deal with more aggression on a daly basis than good dealing in the local community.

Well they do try & prepare you for that, you'll do well to realise not everyone in the community is out there to be talked down to. 90% of the time, what you say & how you act can diffuse a situation.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    It really doesn't. I've been a Reserve for over a year now, & any member from Guard to Super where I am will tell you the community is the best 'weapon' you have.

Well that is true, its not pretty out there & there's a lot of hostility aimed at the uniform. But, the best members I've ever accompanied are nearly always able to turn a sour situation sweet again with words, rather than force. Even in situations where I've thought "ok this is it, open the latch on the asp holder"...a member if experienced enough can through the use of holding ground, tone of voice, diplomacy & maybe even a little empathy, turn the situation sweet again.

Well they do try & prepare you for that, you'll do well to realise not everyone in the community is out there to be talked down to. 90% of the time, what you say & how you act can diffuse a situation.

I do agree :) I'm good at talking to people and going down to their emotional level..been through some tough times myself so I know how some people feel.

There are just some people who cannot be talked down unfortunately!

Hope all is well in the Reserve..stay safe! Hope to be joining you soon :D

Advertisement