Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserves

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There are just some people who cannot be talked down unfortunately!

This is very true, but the real art to community policing is deciding which ones can & which ones can't in a blink of an eye so you can take charge & control a situation & prevent something kicking off before it does.. No amount of training can prepare you for that, it's just watch & learn how the full time members do it.

Your guaranteed to get the few who won't listen to reason & no amount of diplomacy or reason will get the message through to them, but in those situations there's still a right & a wrong way to act. Once your professional, & understand the powers your given, you'll be grand :)

Best of luck to yourself in it too, & every single day is a learning experience...thats one thing about the job I love! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Passed the interview and written exam :D

Relief....for now :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Passed the interview and written exam :D

Relief....for now :cool:

Well done, the worst of the wait should be over now. Your medical is up next & providing you pass that, off ta' college with ya!

EnterNow wrote: »
    Well done, the worst of the wait should be over now. Your medical is up next & providing you pass that, off ta' college with ya!

Thanks EnterNow :cool: Yea the medical lol....I'm not an athlete but I do cycle a bit so im not completely lazy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Benotafraid

Passed the interview and written, just filling out the br form at the minute, how long will it take for that to be done and whats the next step after this does anyone know? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Likely to take at least six months for all your background checks to come back. Some people have had to wait considerably longer. In the meantime you'll have an interview with your local Garda Sergeant and inspector/super intendent. Well done and good luck!

Passed the interview and written, just filling out the br form at the minute, how long will it take for that to be done and whats the next step after this does anyone know? :)

Well done :D

Well done :D

Cheers :) can't wait till I get the uniform :D shudnt have much problems with the medical :P

Cheers :) can't wait till I get the uniform :D shudnt have much problems with the medical :P

Relax now tackleberry :D Wonder how strict they are on Dental Caries :confused:

Bad tooth at the back but not giving any problems...may go foe a dental check during the week

Relax now tackleberry :D Wonder how strict they are on Dental Caries :confused:

Bad tooth at the back but not giving any problems...may go foe a dental check during the week

Haha :D am i dunno would bad teeth have any negative infulence on ur medical?

Also does anyone kno wat will be asked by the superintendent in the next two interviews? :)

• Advertisement

Haha :D am I dunno would bad teeth have any negative influence on your medical?

Also does anyone know what will be asked by the superintendent in the next two interviews? :)

The booklet states Dental caries..of what level is another thing!!

The interview with the super is probably more in depth about being a member in one specific area and more about yourself and your role within that area

You will be under that super so I'm sure he/she wants to know more about you!

Not 100% so don't take my word for it!

The interview with the super is probably more in depth about being a member in one specific area and more about yourself and your role within that area

oh rite i get ya, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

The meeting is with your local superintendant, not necessarily the one whos district/division you'll be working in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kenny343

Applied in may got my interview and written in september, successful in that stage, currently on stage of the meeting with the local sargeant and super.. and it's only 4 months in..Just hoping for an exemption in maths, where I didn't meet the requirement.. i have set up a forum and poll for there experiences if they had it be much appreciated to get me! and best of luck!

Anyone have any update on there progress with the br form or anybody get an interview with the superintendent yet in your local area?? :)

Still nothing as yet..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kenny343

had my interview in my local station with the sargeant nd super in the new year, and i was not waiting that long cause i got accepted in may, i'm awaiting a medical nd Hopeful exemption from the commisioner so it will take a considerable amount of time. just have to be patient, but training in new classes down in garda college will commence just before summer apparently so.

Had my interview with superintendent last Thursday and got offered a medical for June in an email today, does that mean that all the br checks have been completed? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

Had my interview with superintendent last Thursday and got offered a medical for June in an email today, does that mean that all the br checks have been completed? :)

I had my meeting with my local Inspector about two months ago, all went well and he recommended me for the Reserves. I have emailed HQ a few times but still no word on my background checks so just gotta wait. My understanding is that once the checks come back then you get the medical so well done. Keep us updated.

rookie1470 wrote: »
    I had my meeting with my local Inspector about two months ago, all went well and he recommended me for the Reserves. I have emailed HQ a few times but still no word on my background checks so just gotta wait. My understanding is that once the checks come back then you get the medical so well done. Keep us updated.

Will do :) do they tell you on the day if you pass the medical? :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Will do :) do they tell you on the day if you pass the medical? :)

Upon completion of the medical by the CMO , he or she will inform you as to whether you have or have not pass the medical examination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Legalstudiesk

Hey everyone had my meeting with the super yesterday and everything went great! Does he then send your application to hq and then they get back to u with a medical.,, is the medical a check up and will they check it bmi does any one know thanks :)

Interview with the super this Friday the 26th :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

No bother to ya! good luck with it!

DustyMan wrote: »
    No bother to ya! good luck with it!

I hope ha, thanks dude :cool:

Do i need to bring anything with me? Educational / training certs ect?

I hope ha, thanks dude :cool:

Do i need to bring anything with me? Educational / training certs ect?

No. just bring yourself. ;-)

Hey everyone had my meeting with the super yesterday and everything went great! Does he then send your application to hq and then they get back to u with a medical.,, is the medical a check up and will they check it bmi does any one know thanks :)

Yes, and you'll get a date for a medical in time.

Full medical check up. And yes they check BMI.

They will email you with a date for medical, not sure of time frame, it was around a couple of months for me I think.
    It's a full medical check. Yes they check BMI.

Im 13 stone and 6ft and my bmi is 24.7 as far as i know!

What else is envolved in the medical. Just got a complete check up + bloods by doc and all is good :D

• Advertisement

"First of all, you fill up another medical form, something similar to the one you down load or sent out to you..then they ask you for the following, urine sample, hearing test, blood pressure, test, lung capacity test. this is all undertaken by the nurses there.. then its up to visit the Dr. change into a surgical blue gown,and a dressing gown,.and wait till you get called..once in, your height is taken, then you stand on a weighting machine that calculates your bmi, body fat..this is noted..then the Dr. checks your eye sight test and colour blindness test..then you are asked to touch your toes..he gets you to stripe down to your briefs, and checks and listens to your lungs,followed by lying on the couch to check for anything unusual..etc.etc and your hernia, followed by a cough..he is also noting any scars or tattoos..and then he congratulate`s you, and tells you to get dressed and report back to the reception again.."

Added to this is a detailed questionnaire that you get your GP to fill out. The Garda Dr. will go through this questionnaire too.

No blue surgical gown when I was there, must be the cut-backs! ;-) But all was as this previous poster posted re the medical.

Advertisement