Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panorama BBC1 - Gambling Nation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Not every addiction is being advertised like the gambling industry is though, you see Paddypower ads everywhere

Did the ban on cigarette advertising stop smoking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

It has reduced the uptake significantly.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    It has reduced the uptake significantly.

How do you know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

It lessened smoking significantly didnt it...

It lessened smoking significantly didnt it...

How do you know that? Do you have evidence to support this?

• Advertisement

I agree,you don't see "heroin r us" plastered all over the place.

Heroin is illegal. That might explain the lack of advertising

Heroin is illegal. That might explain the lack of advertising

but i was under the impression gambling was just as harmful as as taking drugs? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I agree,you don't see "heroin r us" plastered all over the place.

*cough* google alcohol deaths Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

I remember when I was younger winning on a slot machine that paid out tokens you cashed in at a desk, was an arcade kinda shop.
    They wouldn't pay out as I was too young and took the tokens off me, they were happy to let me play it though! Thieving gits! (still bitter :mad:)

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    *cough* google alcohol deaths Ireland

I've put forward an argument that alcohol should be banned or regulated harsher in other threads.

but i was under the impression gambling was just as harmful as as taking drugs? :confused::confused:

That was in response to your post regarding "heroin r us".

No statistical confirmation of this.

as i said,i haven't exactly compiled a detailed report.

That was in response to your post regarding "heroin r us".

and i was tying this in
    My initial point was that drink and drugs are just as destructive as gambling.

Thats still my point.

surely by your argument we should also ban gambling because it is also "just as destructive" as taking drugs?

as i said,i haven't exactly compiled a detailed report.

I get that.

and i was tying this in

surely by your argument we should also ban gambling because it is also "just as destructive" as taking drugs?

Some people have food addictions. Obesity is reaching dangerous levels

Do we ban food?

As gambling is legal its the responsibility of the individual to gamble responsibly

I get that.

but i'm sure if you take time you could compile one yourself?

Some people have food addictions.

Do we ban food?

nice edit ;)

in response to pre-edit where you said "why not just legalise Drugs"

might i just bring this up
    OD can result in death. The ultimate toll. Drugs can be just as destructive
    why would we legalise something else (i'm talking cigarettes and alcohol here which are already legal) that can result in the ultimate toll?

but i'm sure if you take time you could compile one yourself?

I didnt make any statements concerning the effect of the ban on advertising on tobacco.

• Advertisement

I didnt make any statements concerning the effect of the ban on advertising on tobacco.

here ya go

nice edit ;)

in response to pre-edit where you said "why not just legalise Drugs"

might i just bring this up

why would we legalise something else (i'm talking cigarettes and alcohol here which are already legal) that can result in the ultimate toll?

If you look at the prohibiton era in the U.S.

People still drank. It just drove people to get their booze from less than reputable sources resulting in greater health risks.

Would legalisation of drugs remove some of the imperfections found? People wll still overdose anyway

Drugs are illegal and we still have heroin and coke epidemics. The fact that they are illegal makes little or no difference

here ya go

That was a question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The mainstream corporate media are culpable in this as well, think about the amount of betting companies and ads constantly ramming gambling down people's throats, especially compared to the pre-internet era,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Never got gambling addiction. The anger at losing always outstrips any high of winning for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Not every addiction is being advertised like the gambling industry is though, you see Paddypower ads everywhere

What about alcohol?

These machines make so much money. I worked in the head office of a major bookies over in the UK. Every one of these machines made a profit of £900 per week. Over 2000 shops and it's easy money really.

They are very addictive to someone who has a propensity towards problem gambling I think. I worked with someone who spent every lunch break in the bookies playing them. Another took out a loan and used it to play them. At the end of the day though, that's their choice. The majority of people gamble sensibly, why should everyone be penalised because of a minority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Never got gambling addiction. The anger at losing always outstrips any high of winning for me.

you wont understand it untill you experience it or have someone close experience it

my granda was a terrible gambler ( as in addiction and he couldnt pick anything for his life that would win :pac: )
    lost everything he did
    when he passed away he actually managed to keep some money to go towards his funeral
    whole family were surprized about that
    probably not as selfish as we thought

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There is no greater high in the world (apart from blowing your beans up some wan's buff :P) than watching your horse win a race especially if it's been a long term gambling ante post plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

For a gambling addict, gambling isn't about winning, it's about escaping.

Until it has gripped you, you'll never understand. You don't want to bet, but you need to. Your body releases adrenaline when you are watching a race, or playing a machine (BTW, the fixed odds terminals in UK bookies are not "slot machines", they are usually roulette where you can bet up to £100 per spin).

After a while you need a fix of the adrenaline rush, so you bet again, and again. You might win €500 on a race or a spin of the wheel, and at that point you actually believe you are invincible, that you can beat the bookies or the machine. So you bet again, and again, until you've lost it all again, and then lose more trying to get it back. Compulsive gamblers are inherently arrogant, believing that they can read the form better than anyone else, or know the pattern of the spins on the roulette machine. Abolute nonsense, of course.

Eventually the addiction becomes all-consuming, you neglect your family, your job, everything. Your mind is constantly racing, unable to focus on menial tasks as all you are thinking about is gambling or how to get money to gamble. If you don't stop in time, you will lose everything, your job, your house, your family. Many end up in prison after resulting to crime to fund their gambling.

It's a hidden addiction, unlike drugs and alcohol. It can be hidden from the world until the point it breaks you.

Next time you go to the bookies take a look at the people in there, there will be 20 or so people, all virtually ignoring each other as they chase the next big win. It's a lonely place. The staff there are enablers, no better than drug dealers. They get paid an annual bonus based upon the shop takings, so encourage people to carry on even when they have lost almost everything. Disgusting.

And the next time you have a winner at the bookies, remember it's not the bookies money you are taking home with you, it's money handed over by some fool earlier, who may now have a family that they can't afford to feed. It's dirty money.

If anyone feels they have a gambling problem, ask yourself these questions:

1. Did you ever lose time from work or school due to gambling?

2. Has gambling ever made your home life unhappy?

3. Did gambling affect your reputation?

4. Have you ever felt remorse after gambling?

5. Did you ever gamble to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties?

6. Did gambling cause a decrease in your ambition or efficiency?

7. After losing did you feel you must return as soon as possible and win back your losses?

8. After a win did you have a strong urge to return and win more?

9. Did you often gamble until your last dollar was gone?

10. Did you ever borrow to finance your gambling?

11. Have you ever sold anything to finance gambling?

12. Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?

13. Did gambling make you careless of the welfare of yourself or your family?

14. Did you ever gamble longer than you had planned?

15. Have you ever gambled to escape worry, trouble, boredom or loneliness?

16. Have you ever committed, or considered committing, an illegal act to finance gambling?

17. Did gambling cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?

18. Do arguments, disappointments or frustrations create within you an urge to gamble?

19. Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune by a few hours of gambling?

20. Have you ever considered self-destruction or suicide as a result of your gambling?

If you say yes to a few of them, contact Gamblers Anonymous. You won't regret it. PM me if you have any questions, as it's not always something you want to talk about on a public forum.

• Advertisement

I got into a bit of debt because of gambling when I was in university but I wasn't addicted.. I was just a retard. Nice lesson early on though in the dangers of loans and gambling. Two years shoving away at least 500euro a month just to break even.,

Now, I'd happily throw down a few hundred if I wanted or sometimes play a quick rocks papers scissors on a night out for 20quid but it's cause I know it's just for the laugh.. Gambling is fun until you act stupid.

Advertisement