Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue staff get paid to eat Xmas dinner!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

To be fair; it is a pretty minor thing in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

i've been saying for quite some time that we live in a banana republic, but this sort of thing belongs to Mugabe's Zimbabwe.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revenue-staff-get-paid-to-eat-christmas-lunch-3282204.html

I would advise you to spend some time studying the reality of Mugabe's Zimbabwe rather than starting stupid threads about a minor issue. Maybe if the Independent ran stories on the many real issues and injustices there are, both at home and abroad, people in this country would be better informed and stop comparing this country to the third world etc.

As regards the substance of your complaint - get a life :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Odysseus wrote: »
    You call that a gravy train, it is the poorest one I seen.

like i repeatedly said the sums involved here are tiny, but it's part of the culture of waste in this sector.

it's easy waste money when it's not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

No, they can expense costs and get a full reimbursement because it's happening during working hours. If it happened outside of working hours they would not be able to expense it.

You are talking through your backside.

No, they can expense costs and get a full reimbursement because it's happening during working hours. If it happened outside of working hours they would not be able to expense it.

You are taking through your backside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

like i repeatedly said the sums involved here are tiny, but it's part of the culture of waste in this sector.

It's a half day for a department to have a self paid Christmas lunch and beers.

I pay tax. I don't begrudge this even for a moment.

This thread is embarrassing.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    You are taking through your backside.

Thank you for your insightful post. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Don't worry I will be thinking of you and all your kind at each party I go to in the run up to X-Mass.

Bottoms up:pac:

Thank you for your insightful post. :rolleyes:

Are you seriously implying that these civil servants are going to apply for cost of meal as expenses and then get reimbursed? You are talking through your ass. There is no way this would happen.

Don't worry I will be thinking of you and all your kind at each party I go to in the run up to X-Mass.

Bottoms up:pac:

i'm really impressed. i am. really. i am.
    wow!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's not so much that I'm begrudging them having their party, there's probably a bit of that to it (I can't help it I'm Irish:pac:) but our company can't have a party because we can't afford it. We all know the state can't afford it, they're in a worse state than most struggling companies it's just that they get handed (my) money regardless of how well they're doing and then spend it on paying staff to party outside of working hours. We're all working twice as hard and getting paid less for it but the state works the same, get's paid the same and nothing changes.

Maybe it's just poor PR on the states part. Like I said previously it's not the cuts that annoy people as much as the idea that others are continueing on the boom while telling everyone else they're spending beyond their means and cutting their services.

They ar enot pauing anyone to party outside of working hours. They are allowing staff to have a work christmas dinner within working hours.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:

Less of the personal stuff from here on out. Similarly if you think somebody is trolling report the post.

We'll be finishing up this thread shortly.

To be fair; it is a pretty minor thing in the grand scheme of things.

Did you not say it was about other things, such as your "idea" that they can claim it as an expense. Now it is a minor thing?

Did you not say it was about other things, such as your "idea" that they can claim it as an expense. Now it is a minor thing?

It's more than an "idea" that they could claim expenses, but to be honest at the end of the day it's a Christmas dinner so it was a stupid thing(for me anyhow) to debate from the offset. People are entitled to change their opinions, that's why we have debate.

we need to adopt a zero-tolerance policy on waste and mismanagement within the public sector. apparently Leo Varadkar is getting paid more than David Cameron.

it starts at the top and goes right through the system.

change is needed. we're broke.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

we need to adopt a zero-tolerance policy on waste and mismanagement within the public sector. apparently Leo Varadkar is getting paid more than David Cameron.

Charlietheminx and myself are still wondering how you know her post regarding her christmas lunch/time off is nonsense

It's more than an "idea" that they could claim expenses, but to be honest at the end of the day it's a Christmas dinner so it was a stupid thing(for me anyhow) to debate from the offset. People are entitled to change their opinions, that's why we have debate.

Of course they are, it just wasn't clear that you are, but you have stated that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

NOT ONE RED CENT, GGRRRRR PROPERTY TAX DOWN WITH BERTIE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE, same sh1te from an awful paper, an afternoon off for a Christmas lunch big feckin deal. Enjoy it and Happy Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

we need to adopt a zero-tolerance policy on waste and mismanagement within the public sector.
    With you as the arbitrator on what is mismanagement and what is not?
    No thanks!

dvpower wrote: »
    With you as the arbitrator on what is mismanagement and what is not?
    No thanks!

so you do agree then, we need zero-tolerance in relation to public sector waste.
    well that's a start i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

This is the depths the indo will stoop to to rubbish the Public Sector. Its a farce.

woodoo wrote: »
    This is the depths the indo will stoop to to rubbish the Public Sector. Its a farce.

nobody ever claimed the story to be the discovery of life on mars.

it's just another embarrassing example of public sector waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

woodoo wrote: »

Next week, there's an exclusive revelation in the Indo of how :eek: fat-cat public sector workers, with gold-plated pensions enjoy unlimited paid toilet breaks with free toilet paper and soap.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    So then why cant they do it after five on their own time?

Its a non story but lets call it what it is, a free afternoon off that they will get paid for even though they are boozing it up.

Is there many companies that don't do the same? Who cares if the taxpayer picks up the tab for that afternoon off its their way of thanking revenue for all the good work done throughout the year., Just like any private sector company thanks their staff after working all year. Its just the way things are done in the west. Some people need to cop themselves on sitting on the internet all day ranting about the PS not working during working hours.. irony.

No its not, its thanking workers for their work at christmas time, just like workers all over the country will be thanked.

I couldn't get involved in this discussion all day because i was.. you know.. working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 sha the man

i've been saying for quite some time that we live in a banana republic, but this sort of thing belongs to Mugabe's Zimbabwe.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revenue-staff-get-paid-to-eat-christmas-lunch-3282204.html

as yare man said in men in black "i gotta get me some of these" and btw everyone who finds it funny your paying for it ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

The point in my view is that this is a change. The country is broke, therefore the revenue is not paying for any sort of xmas party for their staff, they are making them pay for their own xmas lunch and then they are letting them knock off a few hours early paid. I would barely consider that a bonus. Ive worked in companies that let their staff finish up after lunch every friday of a bank holiday weekend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Does anyone think that giving staff a day off (or flexitime leave) even if they wern't due to work the day of the xmas booze up is wrong. . thats what is happening here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Well that is a massive climbdown on your part. In the OP you likened it to something out of Mugabe's Zimbabwe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Bet you weren't doing this kind of whingeing in 2006. Please stop, you're beyond boring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement