Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue staff get paid to eat Xmas dinner!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Do not see the problem, it's Christmas lunch not a sex orgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Stroll

i've been saying for quite some time that we live in a banana republic, but this sort of thing belongs to Mugabe's Zimbabwe.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revenue-staff-get-paid-to-eat-christmas-lunch-3282204.html

ACH NO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

You'd swear this was nation wide, across the board the way people go on. This is a local arrangement, and not what goes on in every Revenue office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

In fairness this is a nothing story. I'm a private sector worker and in 3 companies that I've worked for coming up to xmas we always get a lunch followed by "unofficial" half day where lunch extends into beers which turns into an all night session. We don't and never have had to take a half day for it, it has been the companies way of saying thanks.

What's the problem here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The only news in this artical is the staff have to pay for the lunch themselves, which is surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

iregk wrote: »
    In fairness this is a nothing story. I'm a private sector worker and in 3 companies that I've worked for coming up to xmas we always get a lunch followed by "unofficial" half day where lunch extends into beers which turns into an all night session. We don't and never have had to take a half day for it, it has been the companies way of saying thanks.

What's the problem here?

The country is broke, that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Whats the big deal????
    Blatant begrudgery on the journalists part. Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Shure somebody has to ate it, wha? Ya can't let the Christmas dinner go cold now can ya? Shure that'd be a sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 nhojegan

Blatant Begrudgery is right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The Revenue is one of the few Govt departments which generates income.

It is reported that it is a team-building exercise. Better than going to one of those expensive team-building outings in an external venue such as a hotel hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

The staff organised it and paid for it themselves.
    Let's hope the H.S.E. do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

How many years did that journalist spend in college to be able to copy and paste an email into a newspaper I wonder? He should have taken a half day unpaid himself if he is going to waste time like that in the Indo office

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Typical Indo sh1tepeddling, the only difference with this and any job I've had is that they have to pay for the lunch themselves. Considering as far as I know they won Corporate Legal Team of the Year this year an unofficial half day is not much of a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Winty wrote: »
    Do not see the problem, it's Christmas lunch not a sex orgy

Yes, that is correct. Nothing more. Just a dinner. 0_0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

even tax collectors deserve Christmas don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

corktina wrote: »
    even tax collectors deserve Christmas don't they?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Sack the bleeding idiot who put it in writing

If it can come back and bite you in the arse do not put it in writing

Signed who the fug firm believer in the 11th commandment

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

i've been saying for quite some time that we live in a banana republic, but this sort of thing belongs to Mugabe's Zimbabwe.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revenue-staff-get-paid-to-eat-christmas-lunch-3282204.html

They're quite welcome to eat bananas for Christmas lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Just goes to prove, just because something is in a newspaper doesn't automatically make it newsworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The Revenue is one of the few Govt departments which generates income.

It is reported that it is a team-building exercise. Better than going to one of those expensive team-building outings in an external venue such as a hotel hotel.

It doesn't generate income, it collects income; from workers.

A couple of years ago I worked for a private sector company that didn't make a profit, we didn't have an xmas party and we weren't allowed any time off work to go boozing.

Revenue are behind target for the year too, why they're allowed time off to go celebrate is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I think Revenue are ahead of target?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Valetta wrote: »
    I think Revenue are ahead of target?

Dont believe the spin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Rampant hyperbole, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

I was delighted to hear newstalks comment on it this morning. Basically Chris O'Donoghue said that he simply couldn't say anything against it since it's probably the same thing that would happen there.

I hate seeing the media go to town on these people. I was at the ppi awards a couple of weeks ago. It's a brilliant p1ss-up and generally the radio stations pay for the 3 course meal (fillet steak main) and often for accommodation as well. I'm not saying there's much wrong with this, I'm just saying they're hypocrites for criticising others doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

The staff organised it and paid for it themselves.
    Let's hope the H.S.E. do the same.

They always do, I with them since 96 and always paid for my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

That article must have been passed by an editor. So it's not just one gob****e of a 'journalist' who's peddling this blatent begrudgery. What a vile vile newspaper this really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

A couple of years ago I worked for a private sector company that didn't make a profit, we didn't have an xmas party and we weren't allowed any time off work to go boozing.

Revenue are behind target for the year too, why they're allowed time off to go celebrate is beyond me.

What is your problem, As said in an earlier poat these people won awards during the year for their professionalism and dedication.

It fcuking amazes me how some people pick up on something like this and run with it hoping to garner support against ordinary workers because they are in the PS. Sick to ****ing death of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

The tax take is actually ahead of target.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement