Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicked tour coming to Grand Canal Theatre

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I noticed the lack of bubbles too! Generally I thought it was a great show, but as you said there are a few little things that were off. But if you haven't seen if before you wouldn't notice. Like the monkeys not climbing up the sides of the stage at the start. And the two half wheel things that Glinda and Elphaba would normally stand on for the start of 'what is this feeling'. Also I think there are usually three large headed things (sorry, don't know how else to describe them :P) in the emerald city for wizamania, but there were only two.

There were one or two minor sound glitches (but literally for a split second).

I have to say, the one thing that I thought was better than anywhere else I've seen it was Nessarose. She was really amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I was there last night, my 11th production overall and my 2nd time seeing it in Dublin.

The lack of bubbles really irritated me last night and the bubble machines are clear to see on the giant bubble...why weren't they working?

We had an understudy Boq and I didn't think he was great, he was very bland, not as needy...or irritating as usual.

I do agree Nessarose is stunning, she really shone. I enjoyed Glinda & Elphaba and even Fiyero last night more than I had in December but they are far from the best performers I have seen in the roles. Elphaba was very nasal, and Glinda's upper register lyrics often difficult to decipher.

Still I think it's the best touring production I've seen since that theatre opened, the scaling down of the set and cast did not detract from the production at all. The people I was with last night were all blown away, I enjoyed it but think I've overdone Wicked now and won't be seeing it again for a long time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

Just back in from it tonight. Fantastic show. I saw it in London six years ago & the stage is only about 60% of the stage in the Apollo. Found it far more enjoyable this time round.

Only complaint was the Wizard's "Big Head" was distorted when speaking.

My 8 year old lapped it up. She thoroughly enjoyed it & I was watching her for "Defying Gravity" & her eyes widened & jaw literally dropped at the big reveal.

Thoroughly enjoyable night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I'm going back for round two of the Dublin show on Saturday night having seen it on the Saturday before Christmas.

Going with a different group, if it's as good this weekend as it was then I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much. Seen it four or five times now so I think that will be enough for a long while after. Was in the front row centre last time so it will be nice to be a bit further back in the stalls this time around for a different perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

OU812 wrote: »
    My 8 year old lapped it up. She thoroughly enjoyed it & I was watching her for "Defying Gravity" & her eyes widened & jaw literally dropped at the big reveal.

I did the same thing, and I was 22 when I first saw it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Went last night noticed the bubbles missing too, the machines are silly looking without them. I thought the orchestra overwhelmed Davis-Jones a good few times. During no good deed it was impossible to figure out what she was saying
    the Fieyro/scarecrow stuff probably made no sense to people
    becaus of it. She also seemed to be off the orchestra beat just slightly on some songs, most noticeable in "As long as your mine", And in "Defying gravity" there seemed to be a few missing notes or it could have been a keychange? On that note Fieyro just seemed way too young. We had the 2 different Boqs, original in 1st and understudy in 2nd half, much prefered the main Boq. Nessarose was great, really great. Tierney was great, a bit overtly shrill in some parts but I really really liked her as Galinda. The wizard head was awful, really couldn't hear a thing it said. All in all it was a good show, I'm just happy I saw the bigger show beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭what the hell!

So last day today! It seemed to be a major success. They will surely return again at some stage? And I never posted my review either but I agree about the wizard head couldn't understand a word. And was the house that fell in the storm not supposed to be on the stage? I think it was in London anyway, stage right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

was the house that fell in the storm not supposed to be on the stage? I think it was in London anyway, stage right?

Was part of the backdrop. Much smaller stage so less space for stuff.

Not sure if it'll be back for a long while. It's run for almost two months. I think that's the longest running production there so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Went to see Wicked again today, the matinee show. I was absolutely overwhelmed yet again, I brought my sister with me who knew nothing about it and she was just amazed at the whole thing.

I will say though that the orchestra really drowned out the singers at times, and also the actor's mics kept cutting out at several points in the show.

But other than that, it was incredible. The BGE theatre is a terrific theatre. We had great seats in Row R stalls. Brilliant view from there. I am sad that I have seen it twice now in Dublin and now I won't be seeing it again. I'd love to save up and see it on the West End or Broadway! But what a treat to have it here in Ireland for 8 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Saw it for the first time yesterday; we'd booked tickets to see it here in Dublin a while back. I have to say, it was one of the best shows I've seen there. Maybe a few glitches - the Wizard's mechanical voice was hard to understand. But its a powerful piece of work, positively soaring at times.

I think its about the only time I've seen a musical and felt like I wanted to go and experience it all again. If the London show is even better, it must be terrific. For me, I think it has a strong story, often missing from this kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

I will say though that the orchestra really drowned out the singers at times, and also the actor's mics kept cutting out at several points in the show.

From recollection I didn't find the orchestra was mixed too loudly, just the singing too quietly. I don't really understand how this happens when there's obviously at least one person mixing the sound live. I was in the middle of the stalls so it's not like the acoustics were going to be different.

Advertisement