Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicked tour coming to Grand Canal Theatre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I've never seen this show but I've heard it's brilliant so really looking forward to going!! Have never been to BGET either so very excited about that also!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Excellent, got 4 tickets this morning - now to wait nearly a year to see it :(

I bought the Soundtrack CD about 3 years before seeing the show. Got to see it in New York, loved it. Looking forward to see it here on the auld sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I'm assuming all the seats in the theatre are pretty good? Once I get some in the stalls I should be ok right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I would try to get as central as you can. Wicked is a show that benefits from being able to see the whole stage. My tickets are in the middle of Row M which I find perfect for seeing musicals. Don't sit too close to the stage or again you will miss out on some stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Do you usually find it better to just phone Ticketmaster to get the seats you want?

I'm really fed up with not being able to choose seats on the Ticketmaster website. I can sort of understand for Wicked (they say the reason the choose on seats function may not be used is during times of high demand when shows are expected to sell out fast) but this is the case for 99% of things on Ticketmaster even when there's no hope of selling out.

• Advertisement

I phoned them as I really wanted these seats, some venues use the choose your seat function but I've never seen it for the Grand canal theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

I'm assuming all the seats in the theatre are pretty good? Once I get some in the stalls I should be ok right?

Once you're in the stalls you'll be fine.

hayser wrote: »

Once you're in the stalls you'll be fine.
    Sorry but for Wicked you won't be. They use the full stage and the proscenium arch. No point in spending the same money for a mediocre seat as a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Yeah, if you're booking for Wicked in London via Ticketmaster you can choose your seat on the interactive map. No such function for the Grand Canal Theatre so if there's a specific seat you want or area then you need to ring them or even better save yourself their outrageous €6 per ticket "service charge" and go to the box office in person.

I've only seen Wicked in London and from the front row stalls as I get the £27.50 day seats and the view is fine, however it is a massive show and probably best seen, especially if for the first time from a bit further back in the stalls or the front of the circle.

The only annoying thing about sitting further back in the stalls is the distraction of people constantly going to the toilet mid show as the doors are in the middle of the stalls. The GCT don't allow you to bring your drinks in so people end up downing them before going in!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I didn't think the tickets would sell so well since it's almost a year in advance. Went to purchase my tickets today, I like seats in the stalls and they were nearly all gone for the Saturday and Sunday matinees. I ended up getting Row M, is that good? On some days there were only about five seats left in the stalls!

• Advertisement

I didn't think the tickets would sell so well since it's almost a year in advance. Went to purchase my tickets today, I like seats in the stalls and they were nearly all gone for the Saturday and Sunday matinees. I ended up getting Row M, is that good? On some days there were only about five seats left in the stalls!

Row M is my favourite row in the theatre, far enough back to take in the full stage, close enough to see clearly.

I wonder who the cast will be? I would love it if Rachel Tucker would play Elphaba! But I guess she won't.

I wonder who the cast will be? I would love it if Rachel Tucker would play Elphaba! But I guess she won't.

She had a baby boy in the last few weeks so I seriously doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Just got my tickets online there. The choose-your-own-seat map was available for the dates I wanted and most of the theatre was still available on those days.

Really looking forward to it now!

Some casting announced for the tour:

Elphaba will be played by previous London stand-by Elphaba Nikki Davis-Jones. She is amazing in the role so if you haven't booked already then do it!

Glinda will be played by Emily Tierney. She played Glinda in the Wizard of Oz when it was on at the Palladium.

Fiyero will be played by Liam Doyle. Not so sure about this. He played Link Larkin in the previous Hairspray tour. Very baby-faced for a rogue-ish bad-boy character.

Boq will be played by George Ure who previously played the role in London.

It's all looking very good casting-wise so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    Some casting announced for the tour:

Elphaba will be played by previous London stand-by Elphaba Nikki Davis-Jones. She is amazing in the role so if you haven't booked already then do it!

Glinda will be played by Emily Tierney. She played Glinda in the Wizard of Oz when it was on at the Palladium.

Fiyero will be played by Liam Doyle. Not so sure about this. He played Link Larkin in the previous Hairspray tour. Very baby-faced for a rogue-ish bad-boy character.

Boq will be played by George Ure who previously played the role in London.

It's all looking very good casting-wise so far. :)

Nikki Davis-Jones is spectacular in videos anyway, I'm thrilled she has the role. Liam Doyle I (presumably) saw as Link and I didn't have any problems with his performance, though the role itself doesn't really give any opportunities to shine. Neither does Fiyero I suppose for the most part. George Ure I've seen live, and he's good in the role, as you'd expect for someone with that much practice.

Now do we wait for a celebrity wizard? If a member of a boyband isn't playing Fiyero we're left with few standard novelty casting decisions. Nessarose by a B-lister? I'm being cynical of course, but the casting so far is great.

Interestingly the Wizard and Dr. Dillamond are being played by the same person, Dale Rapley (I've never heard of him), Nessarose is being played by Carina Gillespie (again never heard of her) and Madame Morrible will be played by Marilyn Cutts.

Is everyone getting excited? Not long now!

This will be my first time seeing Wicked. I really honestly cannot wait.

It will be my 10th so I'm pretty chilled about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nmrmcs

So the tour starts today in Manchester which means.....Dublin is next woohoo! I'm so excited about this. December wont come about quickly enough for me, should be an amazing show,the casting is great! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Nikki Kaulitz

I have tickets for two nights! I've seen it 3 times already in London but I had to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

Folks, wondering about suitability of this for an eight year old?

I've seen it, but we've gone to a show in the GCT/BGET every Xmas for the last three years.

She can be a nervous child & things play on her mind.

I don't recall it being too scary, but by the same token, I'm in my 40s...

The flying monkeys can scare some kids, and the mechanical movement at the very start but other than that there's nothing to worry about. I don't think there's anything to worry about if you prepare her for those. Focus on Glinda and she'll love it, my friend brought her 7 & 9 year olds and they loved it.

Yeah, the flying monkeys can be a bit scary for young kids, maybe Madame Morrible's "Citizens of Oz" rant, maybe the climax of No Good Deed as well. It does get quite dark towards the end of the first act from all the fluffiness of earlier on.
    I wouldn't worry too much, kids love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I've never been to a show in the bord gais energy theatre, never been to wicked and I've never bought tickets online!
    Was hoping someone will tell me what is the best type of ticket to buy? Where are the best seats?

Addle wrote: »
    I've never been to a show in the bord gais energy theatre, never been to wicked and I've never bought tickets online!
    Was hoping someone will tell me what is the best type of ticket to buy? Where are the best seats?

Don't skimp and get the cheap seats, wasted on this show, you'll miss too much . Centre of row m are best in the house imo. The circle is miles back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

athtrasna wrote: »
    Don't skimp and get the cheap seats, wasted on this show, you'll miss too much . Centre of row m are best in the house imo. The circle is miles back

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you!

Just saw Nikki Davis Jones on the Late Late. While I don't think that particularly was her best performance, she is absolutely incredible from what I have seen on youtube and I am delighted that she is playing Elphaba on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Just saw Nikki Davis Jones on the Late Late. While I don't think that particularly was her best performance, she is absolutely incredible from what I have seen on youtube and I am delighted that she is playing Elphaba on tour.

Recorded this on Sky+ because I was not watching it all. Took me ages to fast forward and find it!

The performance was good. Not brilliant but I'm putting that down to the really bad lighting and stage that she was on and all production values that our Licence Fee goes to pay for.

HOWEVER! Ive seen much better YouTube vids, so Im not worried. Opening Night here we come!

• Advertisement

I haven't seen her on the Late Late, but have seen her perform the role many times in London. Her voice is amazing and I really love how she acts the part. She has great comic timing too. Nothing compares to seeing Wicked in context live on a huge stage with all the lighting and sets and costumes. Defying Gravity and No Good Deed in particular are going to be amazing on the GCT stage.
    What song did she sing on the Late Late? Not the remix of Defying Gravity I hope, really don't like that remix!

Advertisement