Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Grooming Gift Set.

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah, I tried that alright but to no avail.
    It also made a HUGE racket when turned on first but there's a screw on the side that you can adjust which eliminates the racket.
    Think I'll stick with the Philips, gives a better "2"

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

slave1 wrote: »
    Picked this up and tried it tonight but disappointed so returning.
    I had a number 2 cut last week so used the number 2 attachment, no hair was cut! I had a look and whilst the length of the attachment is fine, the distance between the hair and blade is not true 2 length as there are two protruding screws on the head of the unit that the attachment lies on which extend the cutting length by a few mm.
    I looked around for an old Philips clipper we have and the number 2 was the same length but because the top of the clipper was flush with the blade the number two took off loads of hair.
    Hard to get across on email but basically the number 2 is not the same as number two from a barber, I had a look at the number 1 but it look way too tight.

Will they let you return it? I think its excluded from the 30 day return policy. They'll only exchange it if its broken in this case and they might not accept it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

godtabh wrote: »
    Will they let you return it? I think its excluded from the 30 day return policy. They'll only exchange it if its broken in this case and they might not accept it

Yep,thats what the lady in Argos Swords said to me...excluded from 30 day return policy.

She asked me if I still wanted the Wahl and the BayBliss clippers?

I said yes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

As it's a personal hygiene product it is excluded from the 30 day guarantee but if it's not doing what it's meant to do then you could claim it doesn't work and get an exchange.
    Also it shouldn't make that very loud noise. What have you got to lose by bringing it back and saying it doesn't work properly?
    I'm really happy with mine but then again I only use the #1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    As it's a personal hygiene product it is excluded from the 30 day guarantee but if it's not doing what it's meant to do then you could claim it doesn't work and get an exchange.
    Also it shouldn't make that very loud noise. What have you got to lose by bringing it back and saying it doesn't work properly?
    I'm really happy with mine but then again I only use the #1.

Could you imagine the store manager taking it out of the box,plugging it into a socket,slapping on the number 1 blader,running it over his or her head and then saying to you......"well its working fine for me"........;):D:D

• Advertisement

Ha! :D Honestly, they don't care, it all goes back to the supplier anyway. Just say you're returning it as it doesn't work properly and say you'd prefer another brand. Can't see them making an issue out of it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

if it's not doing what it's meant to do
    It might be doing what its meant to though. His particular barber & philips clipper happens to a shorter "2", the barber down the road could be longer.

The grades are sometimes mentioned in manuals
    Grade 1 - 3mm
    Grade 2 - 6mm
    Grade 3 - 9mm
    Grade 4 - 12mm
    Grade 6 - 19mm
    Grade 8 - 25mm

3mm = #1
    6mm = #2
    9mm - 9.5mm = #3
    12mm - 13mm = #4
    15mm - 16mm = #5
    18mm - 19mm = #6
    21mm - 22mm = #7
    24mm - 25mm = #8
    27mm = #9
    30mm = #10
    33mm = #11
    36mm = #12
    Also it shouldn't make that very loud noise.
    Its normal, it gives instructions to adjust the screw in a few wahl clippers I have seen.

I have a wahl professional balding clipper, its a joy to use. I had a "home wahl" one before and liked it, and have used many clippers from many brands over the years, the pro wahl one is in a different league.

You can buy replacement blades for wahls easily enoguh too.

I haven't come across the loud noise. Where did you get the Wahl professional? Would be interested in getting one.

Where did you get the Wahl professional? Would be interested in getting one.
    Got it from an ebay seller, who is no longer listed. This is it
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-8110-Professional-Balding-Clipper/dp/B000VVT94G/ref=sr_1_5?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1352373723&sr=1-5
    Mine was €55 incl delivery. I use it to do my face too, it is that close a shave.

it only comes with 2 extra blades, you can buy more, my old wahl ones fit it too.

Here is another pro model
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Pro-Hair-Clipper/dp/B000GI3V1Q/ref=sr_1_13?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1352373723&sr=1-13

As for the power adjustment, from wahl
    Tuning Your Taper Clipper.
    Wahl Taper Clippers are tuned at the factory to
    run on Australian or New Zealand voltage
    (230~240v/50Hz) however due to the nature of
    our electrical supply system means the actual
    voltage in your location can be +/- 10%. Taper
    clipper performance will vary with the actual
    voltage in your location, so it is essential to
    ‘tune’your taper clipper to get the best performance.
    The procedure for this is as follows:
    A) Oil clipper as instructed above. (This should
    always be the first step.)
    B) With the clipper still running, turn the power
    screw (the large plastic screw on the side on
    the clipper–see diagram below) clockwise
    until you hear a loud‘clattering’noise.
    C) Now turn the screw anti-clockwise about ½ a
    turn, until the clattering stops.
    D) Turn the clipper on and off a few times to
    make sure it does not clatter. If it continues
    to clatter turn the screw a little further anticlockwise.
    E) The clipper should now be operating at
    maximum power for your locality and you
    should notice the clipper always turns on
    with an audible‘clunk’noise. This is a good
    indicator the clipper is properly tuned.

Just to note I have never used a rechargeable that I thought was any use, not to say a good one is not out there.

I've used a rechargable but it was rubbish. Have found some of the pro clippers on Ebay so think I'll get one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads does anyone use a clippers to shave their face leaving just a small bit of stubble? I hate shaving really and I prefer a days growth or so, but most of the clippers I have used can't get tight enough or you have to go over it ten times. Are any of these clippers really good for shaving too?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

beard trimmers from amazon

i got this a while back, use it to shave when i am lazy, leaves a small bit of growth on closest level. have also used it to shave my head. again straight through a strong head of hair no problems.
    good razor, and a decent price IMO

Zascar wrote: »
    Are any of these clippers really good for shaving too?
    The wahl balding one I linked is good. I do a blade 2 on my head, I only went for the balding one to do my face too. It is like a 5 o clock shadow, a lot better than a regular wahl with no blade on it.

I shave only maybe twice a week, out of laziness. So I often have long hair and all other trimmers & razors I have used hurt like hell. I got a fairly expensive braun one which was supposedly specifically designed to not pinch/hurt when doing a few days growth. But it was crap.

I have cut myself with the pro wahl a few times, minor cuts, this does not bother me, I am more careful now and it never happens, it just illustrated to be how close & sharp it is. It is not like cut even hurt, more like a razor cut you only notice when you see the blood. If you had bumpy skin it would probably cut a lot more.

It is a much higher speed, a single pass will get most hair, it probably halved the time I used to spend doing my head. And I do my face really fast.

EDIT:
    just found a review with pics of a lad cutting his face up with the wahl!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000VVT94G

With normal clippers you can push the blade into your face and it would not cut, the balding one not like this, and this is where the guy (and I) went wrong. It must be held flat against your face. I was in the habit of angling it since with a regular one this is how you can get it closer.

Advertisement