Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is The Irish Times Going Tabloid?

Options
  • 02-11-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭

What are the major changes at the newspaper taking place from November 5th?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's been a glorified tabloid for years at this stage, not as bad as the indo but not far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

If it does it'll be the death of an already dying paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

No it isn't.
    Christine Bohan ‏@ChristineBohan
    Redesigned Irish Times paper launches on Monday, says @davidcochrane. Going to still be broadsheet but thinner, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's been a glorified tabloid for years at this stage, not as bad as the indo but not far off.

I disagree with this, the Irish Times is a quality newspaper. The industry is trying to evolve, but I think the IT has kept it's integrity. Not a shill, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I predict a riot!
    Well, some mumbling and grumbling in Glasthule and Dalkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

markesmith wrote: »
    I disagree with this, the Irish Times is a quality newspaper. The industry is trying to evolve, but I think the IT has kept it's integrity. Not a shill, by the way.

I'd agree but it's opinion columns are often as bad as anything you'd find in the indo. Waters' articles are some of the worst stuff in print media. Also with the passing of Crossaire I haven't enjoyed and don't click with the new cryptic crosswords.

Aswerty wrote: »
    ....... I haven't enjoyed and don't click with the new cryptic crosswords.

You mean you can't do them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I like the Irish Times and read it online occasionally but I will never buy a broadsheet newspaper as it is just unreadable due to its stupidly massive size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The only two places I find I can read the Irish Times is at the kitchen table or on the couch with it laid out on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

The Irish Times. A great daily read from the paper of record. Good indepth coverage of the main issues in Ireland and abroad with real journalists on the ground.

Its a great boardsheet and I hope they keep the current format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Stinicker wrote: »
    I like the Irish Times and read it online occasionally but I will never buy a broadsheet newspaper as it is just unreadable due to its stupidly massive size.
    recyclebin wrote: »
    The only two places I find I can read the Irish Times is at the kitchen table or on the couch with it laid out on the floor.
    You need to learn how to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

My grandfather used to take a needle and thread and stich it before reading.

MadsL wrote: »
    My grandfather used to take a needle and thread and stich it before reading.

How then did he turn the pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

You need to learn how to do this.

brilliant. Travelling on the Dart you learn very quickly how to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Until I came on Boards, I never realised that the Independant was held in such poor regard.

I personally find it as good as any. Why has it such a bad name?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I like the times... although it does go a bit tabloid-y for anything Northern Ireland related.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Rasheed wrote: »
    Until I came on Boards, I never realised that the Independant was held in such poor regard.

Its too liberal for boards :eek: I said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Anyone who still has any time for The IT should have a read of this:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/06/05/kate-fitzgerald-and-the-irish-times-apology-to-the-communications-clinic-the-press-council-decision/

They paper acted disgracefully last year and basically branded a suicide victim as a liar after the company she worked for complained about an anonymous article that she wrote before she died. After her death the IT named her and then subsequently first amended her article and then then issued an apology accusing her of lying but offering no proof of that.

It was disgusting how they treated Kate Fitzgerald and her family following her death and were willing to bend over backwards due to the threat of legal action from The Communications Clinic.

The paper will need to do a whole lot more than just change it's size to convince me to ever buy it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

9959 wrote: »

really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Seaneh wrote: »

?????

• Advertisement

Anyone who still has any time for The IT should have a read of this:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/06/05/kate-fitzgerald-and-the-irish-times-apology-to-the-communications-clinic-the-press-council-decision/

They paper acted disgracefully last year and basically branded a suicide victim as a liar after the company she worked for complained about an anonymous article that she wrote before she died. After her death the IT named her and then subsequently first amended her article and then then issued an apology accusing her of lying but offering no proof of that.

It was disgusting how they treated Kate Fitzgerald and her family following her death and were willing to bend over backwards due to the threat of legal action from The Communications Clinic.

The paper will need to do a whole lot more than just change it's size to convince me to ever buy it again.

It's the only paper worth reading in Ireland unfortunately and it's really going to the dogs. It seems that every second article is penned by some ****-for-brains feminist nutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

markesmith wrote: »

I would have agreed if not their property shilling and their treatment of late Kate Fitzgerald.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

I think it has gone down hill since ex editor Geraldine Kennedy retired. And also, the price has risen.

inmyday wrote: »
    I think it has gone down hill since ex editor Geraldine Kennedy retired. And also, the price has risen.

It's funny you mention that because I feel that its decline began when she took over. Having said that, it has really gone downhill fast since she left.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

9959 wrote: »

Facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Aswerty wrote: »
    Also with the passing of Crossaire I haven't enjoyed and don't click with the new cryptic crosswords.

Roy Earle's were where I started (not too long ago), and the new 'Crossheir' ones are similar to his, although a bit easier I must say.
    I bought a book of Derek Crozier's and still can't get my head around most of the clues, it really is a totally different style. Need more practice with 'em I guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The IT is unfortunately the best of a bad lot. The Indo is just to tabloidly. And the rest are just blatant rags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Big plans for Nov 5!!!!
    are they planning on blowing up parliament?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Rasheed wrote: »

The Independent is nothing but a rag and a Fianna Fail mouthpiece, I would not even use it as toilet paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The Independent is nothing but a rag and a Fianna Fail mouthpiece, I would not even use it as toilet paper.

No recession in your house. :D

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement