Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭914

I wasn't convinced by today. Damien Tiernan jumping the gun. Looks like the minister was due to come to town either way today prior it any airport announcement.

Bolster announced that they have secured €12 million in private funds but the business plan has yet to be sent.

Government are committed to matching any private funding based on the business case and we know how business cases for waterford generally pan out.

Can they start the works with the €12 million and keep pressure on government or is it case nothing happens until government commits?

Talks of flights at the end of next year. If the business case is sent tomorrow it will most likely be March/april before a decision is made at the earliest, then a developer needs to be appointed and contracts signed, I don't think we would see works start till the summer/end of summer, then no airline would enter talks unless the runway is built and most would have their winter schedules in place.

I don't know something seems off here, it has all the hallmarks of 2007 airport extension, bolster tower, jury's redevelopment etc.

I'll hold my excitement until I see a scheduled service announced.

Hopefully I am just being negative and this all comes into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭azimuth17

We were waiting breathlessly, while the press release appeared in Thursday morning's Irish Times anyway, before the minister arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...id love to know what airline is close to signing a deal...

...but at least something is moving along with this situation, which is good to see...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It doesn't state €15m anywhere and the Comers are only claiming to commit €12m so where is €30m coming from even if the government match the €12m?

The Comers wouldn't spend Christmas.

"aircrafts" 🤮

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ah they would, if they knew they were gonna get it back, and more....

• Advertisement

1million Euro each committed from Waterford, Kilkenny and Wexford councils makes three, added to 12 makes 15 if my sums are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Bards

12m from comer and 12m from govt

2m each from Wat, kk and wex councils are the sums involved

They won't make it back in a regional airport though unless they have been given other lands or businesses.

There is very little profit if any in regional airports.

..its hard to know exactly whats going on with these lads, but id be surprised if they dont have multiple investment interests in the region, and the mere fact of them being involved in this, may also be benefitting those other investments, so even if the airport doesnt work out, they may overall gain from the whole process, who knows, such lads dont be stupid, risk takers maybe, but not stupid....

...i still cant see an airline signing up for the moment, but maybe that ll change after all the work is done, and/or when other projects such as north quays is also done, but at least something is being considered for the airport, it would be a devastating loss if its left to waste....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fox Uniform

From MOL earlier this year

Replying to Waterford TD Matt Shanahan (Ind), Mr O’Leary stated: “Since I’m on the record on the matter, I have been asked by the new investor(s) in Waterford will we fly to Waterford; I said we will if they have a jet runway and a low cost base. We will certainly return to Waterford; we will certainly put a service from London back into Waterford but I genuinely fear…that the viability of Waterford Airport will be very, very challenging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

In the end of the day this is all that counts. If Ryan air in particular and other low (or should that now be medium cost carriers ) can’t see a profit from flying out of WAT it doesn’t matter what the any cummer, gubberment dept or any other local business person or investor does…..WAT will remain empty/commercial flightless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Bards

You are forgetting 1 important item and that is market share.. Ryanair will not leave that airport empty and hope other carriers do not go there... Even if Ryanair loose money they will be there to stop others from getting a foothold

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whoops I misread

I hope this venture is successful and it's a tiny amount of public money in the bigger scheme of things.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

God there’s a lot of negativity around this. It would seem that the progress has irritated those who’d prefer not to see it.

I don’t think the viability of the airport will depend on passenger traffic at all, although there’s no suggestion a runway of that magnitude will be left without at least one or two regular services.

You’re looking at a jet capable runway in a location that’s cheaper to build hangar space, maintenance facilities, cargo and executive transport facilities.

Its the combination of all the different areas that will make this viable.. much to the disgust of some I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Valhalla90

Government are an awash with money. This is crumbs for them. The negative issue is more to do with upsetting other airports in other regions. We pay the same tax as the rest of the country. We deserve an airport too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

Exactly. I was only thinking about the cost yesterday when thinking of the local development projects going on relatively near the airport. North Quays, nearly a fifth of billion, the New Ross Greenway, 32 million euro. 15m from the government seems like a small price to pay for an international airport with potential for growth.

As for taking away from airports, I'm not entirely convinced.

My uninformed and reductive thinking: The only flights viable from WAT could be: LON (LTN/STN) and some bucket and spade routes like ACE/AGP. Both of which are heavily saturated at DUB, and ex- ORK, we always find them booked out or at insane prices! There's 30+ flights a day to London from Dublin, not even including British Airways (LHR + LCY). So a daily flight from what would be a STN/LTN based aircraft to WAT simply wouldn't put a dent in any market share anyway from the bigger cities.

I wonder would they surely have to connect the airport to the city via bus if a service is instated? Would they reroute the 360 a couple of times a day or just launch a new service I wonder?

A prime example is that ridiculous double daily KIR-DUB flight. Almost 400 seats in both directions daily along with train and bus services! Now I know someone will jump on me with a load factor anecdote, and fair enough! But surely an ATR would be better suited to that route.

From what I heard Ryanair operate Kerry to Dublin as a commercial route to stop Emerald operating it as Government funded PSO.

Amazing that when Ryanair actually won the PSO contract afew years ago against Aer Arann, they could not make it work even with PSO funding

They pulled off the route and Aer Arann took it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Although more recently, it has been quite busy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

WWN might be taking the p1ss but it's no less implausible than Franfurt/ Hahn! - approx 2hours 10 minutes from Airport (Waterford, Hahn) to claimed destination city centre (Dublin, Frankfurt).

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

TBH I’m half expecting they are just going to turn the place over to ‘asylum seeker’ accommodation nonsense rather than reopen it as an airport. When I saw Tiernan’s tweet that was my first thought as with many others. The airport really doesn’t have room for expansion, the ends of the runway are too close to the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Move the road!

Planning permission for extension already granted. Check your facts, that should be your first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Valhalla90

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s what the CPOs are for

Full plans are available on the City Council website.

https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/projects/airport-runway-extension/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

The CPO's were actioned two months ago, householders paid in full and given a generous grace period to vacate properties.

FYI.

Advertisement