Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Valhalla90

The airport for sure will be an election issue in Waterford. The South East is not getting its fair share of investment no matter what spin is put on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭azimuth17

You could set that to music. Glass site still not sold to SETU I believe. Fine Gael seems to have a partcular distaste for Waterford. Elect a TD for us and things will be different they say, forgetting that when we had two of them (and Paudie Coffey was a very decent rep IMHO who was badly treated by his own party) we still found it difficult to get any investment. The airport is pivotal to the development of the south east.

The airport on its own has the capacity to sink the Greens in this area, Councillors, MEP and TD all at risk because of it. Unfairly or not, the party could be destroyed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Genuinely interested in your answer rather than trying to have a go at you, but from your perspective what would the sale of the former Waterford Crystal site by Frisby have to do with Fine Gael?

Fianna Fail are the biggest of the Government parties, they've had the Taoiseach for 2.5 years between June 2020 to Dec 2022, and the Minister for Education since then is also a FF Minister.

And how is it the fault of anyone but the airport that they're still working on a business case?

Will think about the question and I dont mind nyone questioning what I write here. By the way I think FF are not blameless in this situation. The Cork mafia have their big oar in everything we do especially regarding education, health and FDI. I take INVARA'a point posted elsewhere that "the old is dying and the new cannot be born" because of Cork interference!. Micheal Martin is no friend of SETU or UHW. Neither is McGrath or Coveney. Neither was Jack Lynch!

Simon Harris is minister for further education just as he was minister for health. All Waterford issues in health and education under him have been mercilessly slow walked and delayed. The glass site still not complete and it could have happened in WIT time. He was minister from June 2020 and a WIT proposal for the site was on the table. Unforgivable in my view that a boundary extension was not granted having had a report from a legally established commission recommending it.

I understand that there have been several iterations of the business case as the responses from Dublin have changed and the demands and requirements and consequent costs have altered.

Forgive the hurried nature of reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Thanks for setting that out, I understand where you're coming from a bit better now.

I think you hear similar viewpoints held all over the country. Everyone feels like they should be getting more. But rarely do you get type of conspiracy stuff that regularly gets mentioned here.

If anything I think a lot of people in other parts of country are totally apathetic towards Waterford. They see it as a big town and they know absolutey feck all about the airport, SETU or North Quays. I personally don't think anyone cares enough about the place to be working to keep it down.

I think this investment will happen, but I'd be very sceptical of the owners and what they want to get out of this project. The airport itself has a terrible track record and the owners seem to be fond of sitting on sites - and I think that's the biggest challenge at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭914

On those who care to keep it down.

This is regional politics, every large town in the South East had ambitions in trying to be the regional Capital, for years other SE TDs have worked against Waterford for their our political gain and parish

Understandable as this is how Ireland works, but taking this mantra has resulted in Waterford and the SE being left behind for decades.

Senior Ministers such as Phil Hogan (we will have a University in the SE but the name Waterford won't be above the door) or Brendan Howling (Waterford siding with Cork IT would spell disaster for Wexford)

Then we have the pulling of services from Waterford such as the VEC HQ, almost pulling SE Garda HQ to Kilkenny, the list goes on.

The you have south Dublin TDs and Cork TDs ensuring they pull from the South East for services and critical mass such as education, travel and health.

I do not think it is a case the Waterford people feel the whole country aspires to keep us down, but regional politics and some south Dublin, Cork TDs have 100% played their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Nice to see a bit of movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

not sure what exactly this is but it’s definitely nothing to do with a tender or commencement of construction……any legal minds out there who could throw some light 💡 on what ‘vesting’ means

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its actually purchasing the land for it.

A “vesting order” is a legal document that transfers ownership of land to an acquiring authority, even if the owner does not agree. In exchange, the acquiring authority must pay some compensation to the owner much earlier than they do now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

Comes into force on the 13th July 2023 according to the council website

• Registered Users Posts: 37,774 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We'll be having our pre flight pints up in Ballybricken before a taxi out to the Airport in no time

Waterford Airport file on Ministers Eamonn Ryans desk, decision expected before end of June 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭gw80

Never in a million years will he approve an airport,

I just can't see it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

He doesn't rule the country by decree thankfully.

There's an election coming up so I'd imagine the Government as a whole would be keen on looking good locally. After all, FF + FG have only 1 TD in the county now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Good point, I was pessimistic when I saw Eamon Ryan's name but the sitting FF TD, Mary Butler, has previously indicated that she's not contesting the next election, the sitting SF TD got in or around double the quota the last time out, so if electorate support is what they're looking for, they'd be foolish to abandon Waterford. But people are suggesting the greens are toast anyway so who knows.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The big issue with the Greens is the constituencies in which they’re receiving the most backlash they have no TDs in anyway. They’re hated in Kerry but they don’t have a seat to lose there for example.

Waterford does have a Green TD though, but I’d imagine David Cullinane’s running mate will eat his lunch next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭gw80

I hope you are right, but I think Eamon ryan will bow to his ideology, if he can strike a blow to the massive airpolluting air industry even through little ol Waterford Airport,I think he will do it.I just cannot see him giving the go ahead to more planes flying over ireland,

Maybe it would be best to take it off his desk until after the election, 1.for the reason above and 2.so it cannot be used as a political football like it was the last time and was forgotten about afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭914

This is the problem, election on the way so we might here that government support it and the after the election it goes missing

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭billywilly

mehole martin will do everything in his power to stop funding for waterford airport.

he cant be seen upsetting his langer buddies in cork airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I wouldn't say Martin does much for Cork airport either now in fairness.

Only region in the country without an operational passenger airport. It was successful before no reason it cannot be again. Again too much interference politically from outside the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 An tAlbanach

It's gone awful quiet here.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Be thankful. I just had a read. This thread should probably belong in the conspiracy forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Muttley79

comer brothers looking at purchasing land at Dublin airport!!!

Don't know does this help Waterfords cause.i doubt it as it looks they are turning their attention else where

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Eamonn Ryan was on WLR a short while ago. When quizzed about the airport in a roundabout way he said "No commercial future in Waterford airport". This is effectively the final nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

If that clown had his way we'd be all leaving the country on bikes - anyone who votes the greens / FF / FG in the next election would need their heads checked.

I'd be happier if they were not involved. As for Mr Ryan..!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,296 ✭✭✭jmcc

Channeling Father Jack: Who let that gobshite on the radio?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

EM is not on the planet at all. Literally the worst person to be involved in transportation. Time for them to be gone now. And they can take their local TD with them.

Advertisement