Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone needs to be fired

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Oh no the road is icy, I can't go 70mph just how i like it.

Lets blame the govt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

The government can't control the weather. No mater what they do, there will be unsafe driving conditions.

The fault is with the drivers. They are going too fast for the conditions and/or do not know how to drive properly in the given conditions. They should get off the road (safely).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I agree with this. I have just recently passed my driving test and as I am a bit older than the average person who has recently learned to drive I have a bit more cop on and know to slow down on wet slippery roads and keep a larger distance between cars.

I have an idea how to drive in icy and snowy conditions because i have been told about working down the gears instead of breaking but the only reason I know this is because someone told me before. There is no education or testing of peoples ability to drive in difficult conditions. Just because you can drive in normal conditions around a town for long enough to pass a test it doesn't mean you know how to dive in all conditions. I for one would have welcomed the extra training.

The driving test should be the minimum level of knowledge to drive in optimal conditions. Plenty of people simply *don't* drive in unsafe conditions but have no problem driving most days.

Seems like the fault should be with the drivers.
    'Gee - I passed my test; I guess that means I know everything there is to know about driving - so I'll just drive my normal speed even though the road conditions are less than safe'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

tails_naf wrote: »
    I can't believe this has happened again.

There has been a big crash on the way into Cork, at least one car is destroyed, and I don't know yet if there has been loss of life. Reports are that the road is very slippery in several patches.

The reason? ICE + ungritted roads.

On the main motorway between Ireland's two biggest cities, the LAs are unable to read the weather/calendar in order to send the trucks out. So we bought all the Salt a few years ago after the big freeze, and now don't even spread it.

It absolutely sickens me to think about those involved in a crash this bad and what this may mean for the rest of their lives - and it's because of bureaucracy, ineptness, and never ever having consequences no matter how poorly you perform at your job. The thread title says it all.

No there wouldnt be ice this early in November.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

UCDVet wrote: »
    The driving test should be the minimum level of knowledge to drive in optimal conditions. Plenty of people simply *don't* drive in unsafe conditions but have no problem driving most days.

Seems like the fault should be with the drivers.
    'Gee - I passed my test; I guess that means I know everything there is to know about driving - so I'll just drive my normal speed even though the road conditions are less than safe'

Would you not think that it would be advisable for a small bit of extra tuition on driving in unsafe conditions such as snow/ice. I mean perhaps one of the 12 mandatory lessons that learner drivers must now complete could deal with this. Not sure how this could be tested but at least if it was part of the mandatory curriculum then you would have to have the knowledge before you get your full licence.

You are right though, too many drivers pass their test and then think they know everything about driving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement