Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone needs to be fired

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    If anyone is to be fired, surely it's Gaybo!:rolleyes:

Hasn't the aul tosser been waffling on about road safety for years now, and yet there are still thousands of eejits behind the wheel all over the country?

That's what I call failure.:D:D

Do you want the guy to get behind the wheel and drive properly for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

will.i.am wrote: »
    The crashes in March 2007 were on the M7 and M9 Motorways in Kildare I think there was on fatality and those crashes happend for one reason only because people didn't slow down and switch on there fog lights!

These same gob****es will probably be the ones who usually drive around with the fog lights on the rest of the year around.

Thought process: 'oh no one can see how cool my fog lights look in this fog, I'll just switch those off'.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

So many people in Ireland drive around with Summer tyres in the Winter and that can make a big difference

I agree with you there on some level. Still, if ice is involved, it won't make a difference what tyre you're driving on. People need to learn to slow down and drive responsibly when it gets dangerous on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Apanachi wrote: »
    Any mention of what kind of tyres the driver(s) had on the cars?

So many people in Ireland drive around with Summer tyres in the Winter and that can make a big difference

I doubt if many people changed their tyres for the first frosty night of the year.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

They should replace all airbags with a massive spike. If you crash, it shoots and and impails you. People will driver more cautiously then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

antodeco wrote: »
    They should replace all airbags with a massive spike. If you crash, it shoots and and impails you. People will driver more cautiously then!

Unfortunately that would result in a massive spike in road fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

anncoates wrote: »
    Unfortunately that would result in a massive spike in road fatalities.

BA-DUM!!!

i'm her agent lads, she's here all week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Same old story blame everyone but the person responsible, any driver that does not know how to drive to suit the road conditions should not be driving full stop.

What is the deal with so many drivers not switching on their lights in the evening, are they stupid ?

I'm not sure if many drivers here change to winter tyres. I don't myself and I know only one person who does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The winters we have here don't really justify winter tyres.

Plus, if you're a rubbish driver, no tyre is going to prevent you from getting into trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

tails_naf wrote: »
    The reason? ICE + ungritted roads.

On the main motorway between Ireland's two biggest cities, the LAs are unable to read the weather/calendar in order to send the trucks out. So we bought all the Salt a few years ago after the big freeze, and now don't even spread it.

It absolutely sickens me to think about those involved in a crash this bad and what this may mean for the rest of their lives - and it's because of bureaucracy, ineptness, and never ever having consequences no matter how poorly you perform at your job. The thread title says it all.
    Someone needs to be fired? Lol. Who?

Maybe the salt for the freezes two and three years ago is used up?

There is salt/grit spread during a prolonged spell of severe and dodgy weather - a patch of road in one spot isn't this. Was there warning that this part of County Cork would be risky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Irish drivers are clueless and have very little awareness or regard for other people on the road, especially motorways and dual carriageways.

More emphasis should be placed on driving on these roads in the drivers test.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I sort of agree, the gritters have been out the last few nights up north. A lot of people in autopilot can be caught out easley by a patch of ice early in the morning and there is no excuse for ice on a major road. It's not like you guys don't pay for road tax.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

bleg wrote: »
    Irish drivers are clueless and have very little awareness or regard for other people on the road, especially motorways and dual carriageways.

More emphasis should be placed on driving on these roads in the drivers test.
    It's nth just Irish drivers. Even the most experienced driver can be caught out by a surprise patch of ice on a major road. It should be gritted. You pay plenty for a safe road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Every driver on Irish roads should be made open a boards.ie account, then they'll all be perfect drivers and no one will ever crash again.

Every driver on Irish roads should be made open a boards.ie account, then they'll all be perfect drivers and no one will ever crash again.

If they do at least they will find out about driving/middle/overtaking lanes and fog lights :D It'd be a start :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Some of the drivers are so fkn dumb that they'd be posting about how good a driver they are..... while sitting in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway, doing 119 Kph, with fog lights (front and rear) blazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Isn't the NRA (not the gun lobby) responsible for gritting of motorways. Local Authorities only grit local roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Lumbo wrote: »
    Isn't the NRA (not the gun lobby) responsible for gritting of motorways. Local Authorities only grit local roads.

Sounds inefficent,might be right.

Lumbo wrote: »

Both probably think its each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

antodeco wrote: »
    For the EXACT same reason that someone would jump to blame the government perhaps? Its a valid possibility. If the roads were THAT bad, yes, there is some onus on the Government to make sure its safe to drive. However, there is a higher onus on the drivers to drive safely and leave appropraite distance/drive at the approriate speed.
    While I agree with you it would be an absolute certainty someones going to drive down the road in an unsafe manner for the conditions. In the UK they're out if there's a possibility of ice and not only grit but put up warnings to the drivers.

The Brits really look after their road network, just the difference in signage goes to show they're thinking about the possibilities of what will happen on their roads. Ireland always does the bare minimum and then we shrug our shoulders when the inevitable happens blaming anything else and pushing blame around so they don't even have to make improvements for the next time it happens.

We need a better quality of driver in this country that's for sure but until then the government has to plan for the bad ones.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    We need a better quality of driver in this country that's for sure but until then the government has to plan for the bad ones.

This is it exactly. We are very quick at blaming the government for things, but very slow at blaming each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Apanachi wrote: »
    Any mention of what kind of tyres the driver(s) had on the cars?

Winter tyres cause a lot of damage to roads that aren't covered in ice and snow, which, let's face it, is most of the winter in this country.

Winter tyres cause a lot of damage to roads that aren't covered in ice and snow, which, let's face it, is most of the winter in this country.

Do winter tyres not just have a higher rubber content?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

kneemos wrote: »
    Do winter tyres not just have a higher rubber content?

They're studded, no? Well, some are. This damages roads, which is also a way to make them treacherous. Ones which simply have higher rubbed content wouldn't cause damage, I suppose, but would be a lot more expensive than regular non-winter tires, I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Eriopis

They're studded, no? Well, some are. This damages roads, which is also a way to make them treacherous. Ones which simply have higher rubbed content wouldn't cause damage, I suppose, but would be a lot more expensive than regular non-winter tires, I imagine.

No, they aren't generally studded. Studded tyres are only really used in Scandinavia, they are prohibited elsewhere. Winter tyres have a different rubber composition than all-weather tyres, so that they provide better traction and shorten braking distances in cold/ icy weather, as well as reducing the chances of hydroplaning during wet weather. They remain soft during cold weather (<7 C) where summer/ all weather tyres harden, thus ensuring much better braking.
    I've driven during a snowy winter over the Co. Antrim hills (no grit) with winter tyres while everyone else was driving with all-weather tyres, and the difference was hugely noticeable - I had much better grip, less to no sliding, and braking was practically as normal, whereas other drivers were having a much harder time of it with their all-weather tyres. I've also driven around the Black Forest mountains on roads that were completely covered with ice, again with winter tyres, and the driving was absolutely fine. I'd highly recommend them.

Ya pass a test where you go around a few roundabouts and point out a few things on the engine and then you can drive on a motorway at 120kph. Go figure.

Ya pass a test where you go around a few roundabouts and point out a few things on the engine and then you can drive on a motorway at 120kph. Go figure.

A lot of people don't live near one so what do you do?

kneemos wrote: »
    A lot of people don't live near one so what do you do?

Live with it unfortunately.. I don't have a solution. Just pointing out a pretty glaring flaw.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gallag wrote: »
    It's not like you guys don't pay for road tax.
    actually

/nevermind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

That's the problem right there.

Driver education, hand in hand with PROPER enforcement of the law.
    2 things that are sadly lacking in this country

I agree with this. I have just recently passed my driving test and as I am a bit older than the average person who has recently learned to drive I have a bit more cop on and know to slow down on wet slippery roads and keep a larger distance between cars.

I have an idea how to drive in icy and snowy conditions because i have been told about working down the gears instead of breaking but the only reason I know this is because someone told me before. There is no education or testing of peoples ability to drive in difficult conditions. Just because you can drive in normal conditions around a town for long enough to pass a test it doesn't mean you know how to dive in all conditions. I for one would have welcomed the extra training.

Advertisement