Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Public

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sharrow wrote: »
    They used to shave a woman's pubic hair as well as giving them an enema before birth, thankfully they copped on.
    Medically it makes sense to shave in case of infection after a split where they have to stitch, it also makes it visually easier to stitch. The same way they shave your head for an op.

I was much happier when this thread was only about babies eating and boobs >.<

*crosses legs*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Sharrow wrote: »
    They used to shave a woman's pubic hair as well as giving them an enema before birth, thankfully they copped on.
    Come on now, they had to back in the 60's, I've seen the movies.the baby would get stuck.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I was much happier when this thread was only about babies eating and boobs >.<

*crosses legs*

I guess this thread has come up with the perfect way for a breastfeeding mother to deal with someone who is disapproving of her. Just say, 'oh you think this is disturbing? Well let me tell you about "insert worst birth stories possible"' until the person gives up and goes away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Sorcha16 wrote: »
    I think it's exactly this kind of aggressive attitude that gives breastfeeding a bad name. Why you would hope to purposely antagonise people is beyond me.

Respect works both ways -go about your own business discreetly and let other people go about theirs.

Why should breast feeding have a bad name? most people dont eat discreetly and yet you expect a natural act to be hidden away from the world likes its a soiled garment?

I agree with her, and hopefully one day this silly notion that it is somehow unsavoury or dirty will be washed away from this repressive society and if that means antagonising small minded people so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

It's perfectly normal ffs. The ones that complain are the ones that have not given birth or don't want to breast feed. To me it is a beautiful sight ........ so natural ...... so human.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

billybudd wrote: »
    Why should breast feeding have a bad name? most people dont eat discreetly and yet you expect a natural act to be hidden away from the world likes its a soiled garment?

I agree with her, and hopefully one day this silly notion that it is somehow unsavoury or dirty will be washed away from this repressive society and if that means antagonising small minded people so be it.

Deliberately going out of your way to annoy or bother people is a bit ott imo, and tbh its not something most breast feeders want to do.

I don't know why any woman would want to draw attention to it, I'm not saying they should hide away but just get on with it and don't be making a bigger deal of it than it is.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Deliberately going out of your way to annoy or bother people is a bit ott imo, and tbh its not something most breast feeders want to do.

I don't know why any woman would want to draw attention to it, I'm not saying they should hide away but just get on with it and don't be making a bigger deal of it than it is.

well you can only be annoyed if you find it distasteful in the first place.

I disagree.

Its not so hard that you need to flash your breast at people just to get a rise out of them. Having run the gauntlet of nasty comments when I was breastfeeding myself this kind of attitude from other women upsets me, it doesn't make it easy for those of us who just want to get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

girl2 wrote: »
    Her words, not mine. Like I say, Im all for it - but for me, I would just like to be in a more private place for both myself and for other people.

Tough covered up tittie. :D
    girl2 wrote: »
    To the back of an area, or out of people's view. For me - it's about my own modesty really, and that fact that I dont want anyone else to be made feel uncomfortable about it (their problem, I know).

Hard to believe that some people think some Muslim societies are back in the dark ages. :D

• Advertisement

I disagree.

Its not so hard that you need to flash your breast at people just to get a rise out of them. Having run the gauntlet of nasty comments when I was breastfeeding myself this kind of attitude from other women upsets me, it doesn't make it easy for those of us who just want to get on with it.

You dont change the worlds view by being hidden behind a curtain.Again it will only bother you if you find it a dirty act or you think of the human body as something that should be discreet at all costs.I dont and i wouldnt even notice someone breastfeeding because in my mind its an act of nurturing and nature and i dont view it in a sexual context as i assume most people who would have a problem with it link a breast to sexuality and not its number one intended use:Breastfeeding!

You dont change the worlds view by being hidden behind a curtain.Again it will only bother you if you find it a dirty act or you think of the human body as something that should be discreet at all costs.I dont and i wouldnt even notice someone breastfeeding because in my mind its an act of nurturing and nature and i dont view it in a sexual context as i assume most people who would have a problem with it link a breast to sexuality and not its number one intended use:Breastfeeding!

No one is saying women should hide away. But respect works both ways.

No one is saying women should hide away. But respect works both ways.

Respect nature! why is it respectful to be made feel that something as natural as breastfeeding should be covered up and made feel like your doing something dirty? nipples for babies and lips for adults, both part of the human body, so whats wrong? is it because you view breasts as a sexual entity? thats the real issue here, peoples small minded views on what is ok and what is not ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

In 30+ years I've only even witnessed a woman breast-feeding twice - once being the Ryanair flight incident I mentioned earlier. I can't say it particularly bothers me because it's happened too infequently to even be on my radar.

However, playing Devils Advocate for a moment, I have found reading through this thread and others like it that most arguments about why breast feeding is socially acceptable could equally apply to public urination. If someone wants to carry a bucket around and do their business as and when they need to then surely that is just as natural?

sex, masturbation, going to the toilet... all 100% natural but you don't do it in public in the hopes that you upset someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Beefy78 wrote: »
    However, playing Devils Advocate for a moment, I have found reading through this thread and others like it that most arguments about why breast feeding is socially acceptable could equally apply to public urination. If someone wants to carry a bucket around and do their business as and when they need to then surely that is just as natural?

Because man cubs don't rely on urination for food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

What's annoying is people who are overbearing about anything, breastfeeding or otherwise

smash wrote: »
    sex, masturbation, going to the toilet... all 100% natural but you don't do it in public in the hopes that you upset someone.

So we dont eat in public? because thats the point, at the root of this is the fact that a baby is being fed. again dont link a breast with sexuality in this case and you wont have a problem.Linking breast feeding to the above is well living life in the gutter.

What's annoying is people who are overbearing about anything, breastfeeding or otherwise

I agree, but breastfeeding should not be something a mature and open society gets inflamed about.

So we dont eat in public? because thats the point, at the root of this is the fact that a baby is being fed. again dont link a breast with sexuality in this case and you wont have a problem.Linking breast feeding to the above is well living life in the gutter.

the point is that it IS ok to breastfeed in public but comments like "I hope someone saw" are just plain absurd and childish, and you agreed with that comment under the argument of "It's natural". It is not natural to wish people discomfort.

• Advertisement

Wow! 135 posts before someone trotted out this complete nonsense! Well done thread, I think that's a record!

Ah boo, it got repeated on post 136. :( I can't believe anyone thinks that comparing urination and defecation with feeding a baby are in anyway comparable and can be used as any sort of argument. On the other hand the very fact that people resort to such nonsensical arguments shows just how little validity any argument against has.

Because man cubs don't rely on urination for food.

But no one is saying that man cubs shouldn't get food just as everyone recognises that everyone has got to go to the toilet.

iguana wrote: »
    Wow! 135 posts before someone trotted out this complete nonsense! Well done thread, I think that's a record!

Great input. Thanks.

EDIT - hadn't seen your edit.
    iguana wrote: »
    Ah boo, it got repeated on post 136. I can't believe anyone thinks that comparing urination and defecation with feeding a baby are in anyway comparable and can be used as any sort of argument. On the other hand the very fact that people resort to such nonsensical arguments shows just how little validity any argument against has.

They're comparable in that they are both natural acts which expose parts of the body which, like it or not, carry sexual connotations.

Respect nature! why is it respectful to be made feel that something as natural as breastfeeding should be covered up and made feel like your doing something dirty? nipples for babies and lips for adults, both part of the human body, so whats wrong? is it because you view breasts as a sexual entity? thats the real issue here, peoples small minded views on what is ok and what is not ok.

Who says women feel that way? :confused:

I was always careful to never flash any flesh more for my own reasons of modesty than anything else. Once you get the hang of it its entirely possible to breast feed in a way that no one would notice. You don't have to expose any flesh and tbh I don't know many women who would be happy or comfortable doing so. No matter how much you like your body its not a nice feeling to have random strangers staring at you.

And like it or not for most people including women, breasts are sexual. You have to bear that in mind.

smash wrote: »
    the point is that it IS ok to breastfeed in public but comments like "I hope someone saw" are just plain absurd and childish, and you agreed with that comment under the argument of "It's natural". It is not natural to wish people discomfort.

As i said before you can only be offended by it if you think its wrong and yes as a society we should confront those who view it as wrong.Please answer me this, why would it make people uncomfortable?

Who says women feel that way? :confused:

I was always careful to never flash any flesh more for my own reasons of modesty than anything else. Once you get the hang of it its entirely possible to breast feed in a way that no one would notice. You don't have to expose any flesh and tbh I don't know many women who would be happy or comfortable doing so. No matter how much you like your body its not a nice feeling to have random strangers staring at you.

And like it or not for most people including women, breasts are sexual. You have to bear that in mind.

The human body in total is sexual. some people find feet sexual, faces sexual and on and on and on and on. where to draw the line? would you avoid a beach in spain because it has topless sun bathers? or feel uncomfortable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

I agree, but breastfeeding should not be something a mature and open society gets inflamed about.

Members of a mature and open society wouldn't wish to purposefully inflame other people either. Breastfeeding doesn't give you the monopoly on being right nor does it make you immune from being obnoxious, as you seem to assume

Great input. Thanks.

What else do you expect when you make such a silly comparison?:confused:

Members of a mature and open society wouldn't wish to purposefully inflame other people either. Breastfeeding doesn't give you the monopoly on being right nor does it make you immune from being obnoxious, as you seem to assume

Your not a mature society if you get inflamed about a nurturing and natural act such as breastfeeding.

• Advertisement

Great input. Thanks.

EDIT - hadn't seen your edit.

They're comparable in that they are both natural acts which expose parts of the body which, like it or not, carry sexual connotations.

One feeds a child and one expels toxins, yes quite the same.

Advertisement